Operation Adelaide, 2016 -- new beta for testing

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

Operation Adelaide, 2016 -- new beta for testing

Post by Mgellis »

The United States gets involved in an armed conflict between Sierra Leone and Liberia. American might, but limited air power, is pitted against a multi-company force from Sierra Leone occupying a Liberian border town.

As always, please provide feedback, suggestions, etc. How is the gameplay? Do all the events (especially the ones with lua scripts) work properly? Does the American order of battle make sense? Are the orders well-written? Any observations, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome. Thanks!

Version 4 uploaded 9:50 PM EST 11/29/2015.
Attachments
Operation ..de, 2016.zip
(72.03 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
CCIP-subsim

RE: Operation Adelaide, 2016 -- new beta for testing

Post by CCIP-subsim »

A nice scenario! It wasn't very difficult as long as I didn't do any stupid things (like trying to machinegun enemy troops from helicopters). It took me 12 hours 30 minutes to complete before I scored a triumph and scenario end fired. I believe all the events fired like they were supposed to and the orders made sense.

I didn't find the laser especially useful - I set one of the Shanghai boats aside as a target for it, and it took about 500 shots from it to dispatch it (though that's understandable). ESSMs took care of the air threats much quicker (although, one imagines, more expensively) due to the longer range. I did not get to bombard anything on the shore, since the scenario ended before then - all my ground kills were by helicopters, mainly with the Hydra rockets. The X-Ray drone with its very long endurance was very useful - it wasn't able to ID targets very well, but picked them up very effectively, making radar pretty much unneccessary on the ships except for fire control. I did not spot or sweep any mines at all (despite running at 5kt and with active sonars by all 3 units in close proximity), but one did blow up near the LCS and caused slight damage.

All in all, it was a fun small-scale scenario!
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Looks kind of easy. What I did

1. Hit ammo bunkers/pads with TACTOMs, bunkers require some small number of TACTOM, 2x or 3x per bunker, IIRC
2. sent my scout UAV forward, over Bo Waterside.
3. Circled UAV in the distance to classify/ID first target. As first target was identified, I sent in TACTOM. Since TACTOM has a camera in it, I got ID on the adjacent units. Repeat three times.
4. Once the enemy groups on the ground were dead, I went after buildings. Which were useless except bridge. Maybe these should be neutral, buildings?

Problems:

1. I was never fired at.

Scored 430 Triumph with 18 hours to go,

MY EXPENDITURES: note no laser shots, there were no target for laser
------------------
4x AGM-114M Hellfire II
7x HYDRA APKWS II 70mm Rocket [WGU-59/B]
49x RGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM
2x RIM-162A ESSM
2x Mk48 Mod 7 ADCAP CBASS

ENEMY LOSSES: (there were no enemy expenditures and no other losses)
-------------------------------
2x Type 062 Shanghai II
1x Type 062-I Haizhui
2x Ammo Shelter
1x AvGas (75k Liter Tank)
1x Cessna 152
8x Vehicle (Truck, Unarmed)
20x 7.62mm MG/Unguided Infantry Anti Tank Weapon
1x 81mm Mortar
2x 12.7mm/50 MG
1x SA-7b Grail [9K32M Strela-2M] MANPADS

~~~~~ADDED

After waiting some 2 hours already having a Triumph, got some disturbing report from Liberian govt.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Uploaded version 2. This time, Sierra Leone has a little help from a friend. Not sure this is very plausible, but I think it makes the scenario a bit more challenging. Observations, suggestions for improving the scenario, recommendations, etc. (especially regarding the ally helping Sierra Leone and the equipment they provided) are all welcome. Thanks!

AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Plausible no, more challenging yes. Nice one.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: AlexGGGG

Plausible no, more challenging yes. Nice one.

Any suggestions for making it more plausible?

AaronWallace

Post by AaronWallace »

I enjoyed the two versions I have played. This is an end-of-game-state for v2. Once the attack planes started their intercept I closed the LCS and DDG to provide mutual air defense and had jammers and radars active on all airborne and surface assets, all intercepting aircraft were considered hostile, and fired upon, truly thought the LCS was a goner more than once. The killing village elders fired message fired after I cleared the city...

I think I used too many tomahawks and yo should penalize me for spending 50m on ordinance for this op. I think I could have used rockets to do this gig.

SIDE: United States
===========================================================

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
3x 57mm/70 Mk295 Mod 0 3P CIGS Burst [4 rnds]
7x AGM-114M Hellfire II
13x HYDRA APKWS II 70mm Rocket [WGU-59/B]
10x Laser COIL Shot
2x Mk214 Sea Gnat Chaff [Seduction]
2x Mk234 Nulka
2x Mk48 Mod 7 ADCAP CBASS
32x RGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM
9x RIM-116B RAM Blk IA
12x RIM-162A ESSM
6x UGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM
4x UGM-109E Tomahawk Blk IV TACTOM

SIDE: Sierra Leone

LOSSES:
2x 12.7mm/50 MG
6x 122mm/38 Type 86 Towed Howitzer
24x 7.62mm MG/Unguided Infantry Anti Tank Weapon
1x 81mm Mortar
2x Ammo Shelter
1x Cessna 152
2x Mi-24V Hind E
2x Mi-8MT Hip H
3x SA-7b Grail [9K32M Strela-2M] MANPADS
2x Type 062 Shanghai II
1x Type 062-I Haizhui
8x Vehicle (Truck, Unarmed)

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
6x 12.7mm/50 MG x 4 Burst [100 rnds]
4x SA-7b Grail [9M32M]

SIDE: Liberia

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Neutrals

LOSSES:

EXPENDITURES:
------------------

SIDE: Algeria

LOSSES:
2x Su-30MKA Flanker G

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
4x AS-17 Krypton A [Kh-31A, ASM]
4x AS-18 Kazoo A [Kh-59M]
3x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]

CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

I should say, by the way, that in the first version it just never occurred to me to even use a Tomahawk on the village targets - seemed a little silly to me to use an $1.5 million missile on a bunch of third-world-army trucks [;)] I'm all for limited-force scenarios - though it might take some kind of incentive to deter the player from launching an all-out TACTOM strike.
I'll have to try V2 I suppose!
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: AaronWallace

I think I used too many tomahawks and yo should penalize me for spending 50m on ordinance for this op. I think I could have used rockets to do this gig.

I have actually tweaked the missile loadouts. The destroyer now has a lot of -C and -D Tomahawks but not the -E types, so it cannot go after mobile units, and the submarine now only has four of the -E types. So, yes, you have a few that you can use, but you will need to rely more on helicopter strikes, etc.

Instead of Algeria helping Sierra Leone, would it be more reasonable to assume someone (possibly Algeria but also possibly some other nation) had sold them arms. That is, remove Algeria as a side, but give Sierra Leone more weapons? That's really one of the problems...I had not realized Sierra Leone's military was so depleted until I was well into writing the scenario...version 1 was an attempt to stick with a fairly realistic order of battle for them and as you can see it was just too easy to beat them that way. An honest simulation is not always a good game. :)

I'm waiting to see if people have other comments and suggestions before posting version 3.
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

Any suggestions for making it more plausible?

Sorry Mark, I'm a wrong person to ask. I'm pretty bad when it comes to plausibility. For example, it never occurs to me not to use TLAM against village hut, or not to use TLAM in the role of SAM decoy. I would happily accepted alien force or something like that.
AaronWallace

Post by AaronWallace »

I think that you can totally say that recent military cooperation and arms sales have rapidly expanded their capabilities, to what extent it is still largely unknown.... are these the first shots in another proxy war? viola reasonable plausibility, plus I like the mix of chinese surface combatants and russian air threat.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Version 4 uploaded. Replaced Algerian side with weapon sales to Sierra Leone from Algeria and Egypt.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Any more thoughts on this one? Or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

AaronWallace

Post by AaronWallace »

I am still giving it a play through, darn life getting in the way, my first impressions were that I needed to do a real tlam launch (x5 per target) from both the ssn and the ddg to score mission kills on the ammo facilities. Thirdly I now need to send up a seahawk to operate as a wide area ground radar so that x-ray can approach for targeting info.

i224747

Post by i224747 »

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

Any more thoughts on this one? Or is it ready for the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

v4:
Buchanan Airport = Lamco Airport
Location "Buchanan Airport" should be named Sasstown, if I recall correctly.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”