Any new interest in Combat Reporter?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

bretg80

Any new interest in Combat Reporter?

Post by bretg80 »

I've been away for a while but it seems that people are still interested in using Combat Reporter. If so, let me know what issues you are having with it and I will bring it forward to Windows 8 / 10.

Bret
I'll be back
jamesjohns

RE: Any new interest in Combat Reporter?

Post by jamesjohns »

Thanks, much appreciated!
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

a staple for me.

runs java 6 ... be nice to update to j8
Pax
koniu

Post by koniu »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

a staple for me.

runs java 6 ... be nice to update to j8

+1
"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

bretg80-

Combat Reporter and Tracker are two indispensable tools which have enabled me to logically and effectively work through an AE campaign turn (or at least that's the plan...<grin>).

Any area you feel inspired to improve (in an already outstanding utility) would be greatly appreciated.

Currently playing Babes Lite Scn 26 v15b as the Japanese, a very different feel than Andy Mac's Iron Man Nasty Nasty as the Allies. Love them both; am learning much.

Thank You for all that you have done, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I am running it with Java 8.66. Seems to work fine.
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I remember not getting it to run on my 64 bit windows?
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

When I try to setup a new install, the program keeps telling me I'm using an invalid time format, but it's correct according to what the program has written as the format. I fixed this once before, but have forgotten.

Great program though!
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

I use it pretty heavily. I lean on it a lot for my AAR.

I've recently rebuilt my computer, and it was fussy to get going again. I managed to get through it.

It's been running on Win10 fine for me.
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

I just did some work on the code to make it run with Java 8.65+ and 64 bit. It may run on earlier versions as well, but it should now be 64 bit compatible.

I have tested it on my Windows 10 machine and uploaded a new distribution at the following link.

https://sites.google.com/site/witpaecombatreporter/

Please test and let me know if you see any issues. Since many people are still using this I would be willing to be put some more time into it and add some more features.

One item I was working on before my work-life stole me away was putting some icons on the map representing air/sea contacts. Any other thoughts?

here is a list of things I had on the roadmap back in 2011.

1. New UI - Calendar will show the air/sea/land summary results - select a day and see details

2. Display sighted ships / planes with speed and direction vectors on the Map.

3. Show combat by location over a period of time to allow historical views. I have some ideas on how to do this using the map.

4. Enhance the readability of the reports through better organization.

Also, if anyone is a java/groovy developer and wants to join me in enhancing this tool - I am open to that as well.

Bret
I'll be back
scout1

Post by scout1 »

I loved Combat Reporter and the graphic nature of the info ..... though I've seem to have misplaced my version during a 1-2 yr downtime ...
Tried downloading your updated version from the website but was getting some issue stating perhaps it had been moved or removed .... ?

Would love to load this up again .....
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

I'm able to successfully download it many times with Chrome and Edge. Is anyone else having this download issue? If so, please let me know.
I'll be back
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Finally got it ... not sure what the issue was ... probably my bad .....

Still working to get it to be functional on my PC (again, is my bad ...)

I've always loved the graphical nature of the material presentation .... much easier for this old guy compared to Tracker ....

Shameless plug for things to consider (if you're of the opinion, and can graphically implement) ...... Since you seem inclined to try to incorporate Tracker "available" info (but I'm sure in a more graphical manner)

I always seem to scatter commands across the Pacific and lose track of sub-components, ships needing upgrading and hate the hex search for them, air groups shot up needing pilots, etc ....

1) Ground units attached to a given command .... I always end up with deserters joining other fronts, the strategic map does this kinda, but is static and can't zoom
2) Where are my ships needing updates at the moment ?
3) Where are my understrength air groups at the moment ?
4) where are my ships / air groups / land units being deployed on the current turn ?
5) Where are my bases short on supplies, fuel, etc .... ?
6) Where is my industry slowly starving to death ?

Love the graphical nature .... I'm a picture sort of individual ..... ;>
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Downloaded fine in Firefox.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
bretg80

Post by bretg80 »

Some of that info may be in the combat reports, but any info that isn't there I won't be able to get without those APIs. Let's see if they are willing to work with me this time. I didn't have much luck the last time I asked. I'm not sure why the guys who worked on tracker were given special permission, but they must have developed a rapport with the original author's that I haven't managed to do.

Bret
I'll be back
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I have managed to run 2 games at once without it so far....maybe it's time though. As an idiot I hope there are installation instructions a 4 yr old could follow?
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

bretg80-

Am looking forward to trying out your new release; Thank You for your continuing support for this awesome tool. It is the first step I take when beginning a new turn; and is critical to play.

Edit: Evidently, I didn't have all my RAM activated; my earlier (now deleted) reference about JAVA parameters was mistakenly referring to Tracker, NOT Combat Reporter. Oh Well...

A chastened Mac
LAV-25 2147
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan

Thank You for your continuing support for this awesome tool. It is the first step I take when beginning a new turn;

+1
Pax
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

Does combat reporter only work with the original map, or will it work with the extended map as well?
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

Took a bit of fiddling with the .bat file to get it to run. Once I got it running I get stuck on the same location as last time! [:(]

Attachments
cr.jpg
cr.jpg (142.66 KiB) Viewed 357 times

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”