Luck or stupid AI?

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

etsadler

RE: Luck or stupid AI?

Post by etsadler »

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

I'm a bit concerned though that the best path might be to do whatever Hitler wants in the decisions to get the PP's and then do what you want at the expense of your subordinates, and it might not matter.

As far as job security, if Hitler liked you everyone else could go pound sand.

But as others have said, if they don't like you you job is harder, you just don't have to worry about being fired!
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

September 18th, the north front of the Soviets breaks, the 18th is linking with the 4th PZ gruppe

North:

Attachments
north.jpg
north.jpg (73.4 KiB) Viewed 72 times
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

In the Center I pull back a panzer group to rest and refit, we are close to Smolensk.

Center:

Attachments
center.jpg
center.jpg (47.11 KiB) Viewed 72 times
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

In the south we are nearing the Crimea, I rest a pz group as well

South:

Attachments
south.jpg
south.jpg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 72 times
NotOneStepBack

Post by NotOneStepBack »

ORIGINAL: RickInVA

ORIGINAL: NotOneStepBack

I'm a bit concerned though that the best path might be to do whatever Hitler wants in the decisions to get the PP's and then do what you want at the expense of your subordinates, and it might not matter.

As far as job security, if Hitler liked you everyone else could go pound sand.

But as others have said, if they don't like you you job is harder, you just don't have to worry about being fired!

The funny thing is I'm a manager in real life for a financial firm. My boss's opinion matters WAY more than my subordinates, I approached the game as such.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Ultimately the only true test of your skill is to play another human. No matter how good the AI is it can't match the problem solving ability of the human mind. I only bother with AI to learn the game. But I accept for some they prefer AI. It is very difficult for a programmer to counter human pattern recognition, which eventually will bring down the AI.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Franciscus,

The relationship system is threaded throughout the entire game. Keeping Hitler happy is only one small aspect of it.

There are some serious repercussions with having poor relationships with various characters.

Cheers,
Cameron
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

I would say it's a bit odd to lose Leningrad from the south with the two armies watching Finland freed up by Finnish surrender.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Onestep,

I've taken a look at the save game and it appears that you're a decent player and have done a few things that the AI wasn't expecting.

You've also been playing the Officer cards each turn. Don't need to do that. They are fire and forget. Play once and only thereafter if you want to change them.

The AI greatly appreciates your efforts here and will be sharpening it's pencil.

There's also a general issue of difficulty. At the default normal level our aiming point is for a decent player to be able to win the game. One aspect of this is the bonus fuel that you start with. AGN is given more fuel than they had historically to give the player a leg up. You've made excellent use of this to motor your way to Leningrad. It's been tweaked downward a touch.

Also keep in mind that you've chosen a strategy of 'Support Hitler' which is the easiest of the three available. You gain plenty of PP's that you wouldn't with the others.

The downside is that you are required to take Hitler's objective. Hitler can call a conference early each month and can feasibly change his mind. The last conference is in early November and you've got the opportunity to lobby Von Brauchitsch and Keitel (from memory) to help influence his opinion. If he decides on either of the other two theatres then Leningrad won't win the game for you unless you can capture them as well.

Taking all three is an instant win.

I noticed that you've seriously p*ssed off General Wagner which is going to have adverse implications for your logistics in the other two theatres.

Interesting to see how it goes. Best of luck.

Cheers,
Cameron
gap23518

Post by gap23518 »

Thanks for this post! good one....OP gave me a chance to explore new strategies. I was able to hit Leningrad but unable to take it...but the 4th looks in better shape to do so soon. What surprised me is the gutsy Soviet response to take Finland out of the war as well as the brutal defense against the 18th. They just wont give up that little toe hold and are holding up the 18th....amazing!
I think keeping Hitler happy will get you pretty well set up on your PP. I want to toy with taking the 3rd to AGN.

For the developers of this game: I have the other games and this one...for me...is a winner. I was actually thinking about this game last night...what to try...what not to try. That to me is the point of a
good game...its entertainment! Its stable! Its dang fun! Thanks. And thanks for the active forum.

I didn't do as well as the OP but I have a different (FUN) game going....
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

as long as you enjoy it, play it how you wish, i do[8|][:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Vic

Post by Vic »

There's also a general issue of difficulty. At the default normal level our aiming point is for a decent player to be able to win the game

For playing the AI the difficulty level objective has been as follows:

Difficulty level has been designed to make normal level winnable by a very good or an experienced player.
Challenging should be much less evident to win for a very good or an experienced player.
And Hard should prove very tough.
Never mind the levels above.

Though playing the Soviets against the German AI should be slightly easier than my statements on the levels above.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”