War in Europe (WitW/E together)

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

STUCKER868

War in Europe (WitW/E together)

Post by STUCKER868 »

If there is going to be a massive game combining WitE and WitW), it will be an amazing concept which will probably blow Paradox's "Hearts of Iron IV" out of the water as far as detail goes. However, during the build, TOP on the list for me is the A.I. It's SUCH A SHAME that the A.I. is so brain dead in these games. War in the East or West are nothing more than "sandboxes" to me unless you play multi-player and I don't have time for that. I would much prefer a MASSIVE focus on a decent A.I. over any other tweaks or eye candy for the next series of these games (assuming nothing can be done with the current engine).

Being a programmer myself and involved with teaching game design, I am very much aware of the difficulties involved with building even a mediocre A.I. for games (especially one as complicated as WITW). But let's face it, for single player gaming, the A.I. in these games is so poor that the game is simply not fun after some play. I recently purchased the TORCH update and after a few hours of play, it's still the same silliness from the A.I. So I spent another $20.00 only to discover what I already knew, that the A.I. is brain dead as it was before.

Anyone who has played even the D-Day scenario knows how easy it is to break through and crush the Allies. The Allied A.I. leaves gaps in the lines, undefended temp supply harbors etc. It's simply unacceptable and ruins any single player experience.

In the future, I hope the Devs focus their resources on a stronger A.I. Unlike Chess (even then, because of the databases of stored moves which gives the A.I. huge advantages over humans), no A.I. can be built to match or exceed a humans ability in a game like WITW (at least with current technology). There are new ideas in the A.I. field that hopefully will help game designers upgrade what has been the bane of video gaming since the birth of them. Weak A.I.

Despite the tech issues with current A.I. I believe it can be done better that what I am seeing here with WITE/W.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”