Reviews and Awards for Barbarossa

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Templer_12

Reviews and Awards for Barbarossa

Post by Templer_12 »

Softpedia
Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa Review PC

Conclusion

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa is an innovative take on the wargame genre because it shifts the focus towards the humans that decided the course of the war and the way their relationships can influence what divisions do in the field.
The core systems created by VR Games work well together and manage to show players the way a successful leader needs to combine good and flexible plans, decisive action when it comes to combat and careful political dealings.

It's not easy to engineer a successful drive to Moscow or a good defense of the Motherland even on normal difficulty, but the challenge never feels unfair, and it's a joy to constantly tweak a formula, try to apply it and then repeat the process until victory is at hand.

The strategy layer can become a little dry and repetitive at times, but the political layer more than makes up for that and provides a level of fun that no recent wargame has managed to deliver.

Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa can be a little hard to understand for newcomers to the genre, which is a pity, given that the game deserves a wider audience than hardcore grognards, so everyone who picks it up needs patience and time to fully appreciate the experience.

The development team has put together a solid manual, 320 pages long, complemented by videos that are available during the actual campaign, which should be consulted either before playing or as soon as the player finds something that they do not understand.

VR Games has created a true gem, and I am eagerly awaiting to see how they can improve the overall experience via patches to make Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa a must-play for all lovers of history, regardless of their experience with the wargame genre.
Franciscus

RE: Reviews and Awards for Barbarossa

Post by Franciscus »

Hi Templer
Was it you who wrote this review ? If not, do you agree with it ?

Regards
Former AJE team member
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 89 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Franciscus

Hi Templer
Was it you who wrote this review ? If not, do you agree with it ?

Regards
No, wasn't me. No, it's not me.
Do I agree? I'm not deep enough in the game to judge.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”