First Impressions

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

zakblood

RE: First Impressions

Post by zakblood »

cards given depend on level of difficulty and options selected at start of the game, so not all are in every game, and some are relationship dependant, which adds another layer into the game, if you haven't got a good relationship from a given leader, they don't support you, or maybe not fully[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Kel

Post by Kel »

In my opinion,
- the counter game is very good.
- the AI is fine.
- the map is not very beautiful.
- two design choices are a bit overdone: logistics and political role playing.
- two design choices are a bit underdone : getting rid of the air war, getting rid of german corps HQ.

All in all a fine game, with interesting design choices. I hope these issues will be improved in some ways (mods, add-on, dlc, whatever - I'll buy them..
Kein Operationsplan reicht mit einiger Sicherheit
über das erste Zusammentreffen
mit der feindlichen Hauptmacht hinaus.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

My very first impressions

There is a small intro now – nice

The pictures of the equipment were revalued a bit - nice.
You get rid of the soldiers heads, that's OK, not everyone likes them (however, I myself have got used to them, they didn't bother me anymore), but the empty space, the placeholder was left - it looks very cheap and sloppy!

That is hard to accept for a high-level game with high demands.
Attachments
DCB Schlam..e Bilder.jpg
DCB Schlam..e Bilder.jpg (26.53 KiB) Viewed 160 times
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

ORIGINAL: Templer

...the empty space, the placeholder was left - it looks very cheap and sloppy!

That is hard to accept for a high-level game with high demands.

That space is used to show the terrain of the hex where the unit is located. It's bare in the shot you posted because the unit is in open country. Try looking at a unit in hills or forest - that empty space to the left provides a quick visual terrain reference.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

Sorry, I don't buy this.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I've been playtesting the game, so this is not a first impression, but after playing it from both sides extensively.

Anyone having played Advanced Tactics Gold, or even better the Decisive Campaigns games, will have an idea of the basics of play. However, even if you have not played those, the video tutorials in this game are outstanding and can be completed quickly.

The game is at the army/corps/division level, just perfect for a campaign of the scope of Barbarossa.

It's the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had, and I've been playing wargames since the '70s.

The AXIS player is involved in decision-making related to diplomacy, propoganda, morality, and most important of all - the entire supply/replacement organization and pipeline. Every decision you make has an impact on your relationships with the historical generals and political figures of the time, from Hitler to Brauchitcsh, Keitel, Jodl, Ribbentrop, Goebbels, Goering and to all of your army group and lower commanders. And you will develop a VERY intense relationship with Generals Wagner and Gercke, who are in charge of road and railroad supply and infrastructure/repair. You will learn to utilize the skills of your aide-de-camp and chief of staff. Their reports and presentation of decisions makes your job manageable.

The Soviet player essentially plays the part of the Stalin's chief of staff. Underneath you, you have Kruschev as overall political commissar, and Zhukov as your military hammer in the field. Both serve to tighten up your control and influence over your Front and army commanders, providing them encourgement, the benefit of your skills, or threats, as needed. Your decision-making has less overall scope than the Axis player, but there are high-level actions you are able to make on a turn-by-turn basis that impact supply, replacements, reinforcements, command capabilities in the field, and the very organizational efficiency of the Soviet military forces.

Of course, on both sides, you will be pushing the counters around. Yes, you take on all the above decision-making/role-playing, but you will also be managing the division, corps and army movements and combat.

I can't imagine another wargame on a specific historical campaign that has more plausible replayability than this game.

This is THE ultimate PC wargame. An absolute must have.

I was also a play tester for this game and I have been playing war games since the early 70s too. I 100% agree with these comments.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: XXXCorps

ORIGINAL: GI_Tom

Ok, so I came home and purchased the game. Very much appreciate those who posted above that helped sway my decision.

1. Big thanks to designers/developers, etc. and the entire VR team.
2. The tutorials are FANTASTIC. Well done and thanks for taking the time to do those. For those who may not have the game, or who were NOT familiar with any of the previous series (like me), these tutorials do an excellent job of explaining various aspects. Combined they take in excess of 1 to 1.5 hours to watch, but are well worth it. These are the very best tutorials for a more complex game that I've had the pleasure of viewing.
3. The manual is superb. Excellent descriptions, art, etc. Well laid out and explained.
4. The detail and info on the counters is also excellent. Like how I can see at different levels and customize counters to my preference.
5. Reading the reports and making strategic level decisions really adds to the gameplay experience. I really felt as if I could be at HQ as I perused the info coming in from the front, etc.

Complaints? Only one. The map. So much more (imho) could be added to the immersion factor with some added polish. It is fully functional, but could use an upgrade in terrain type graphics, city graphics, etc.

All in all, very pleased with the purchase. Tonight only had time for the tutorials and 3 or 4 turns. While Der Fuhrer is not fully pleased with my progress, I have managed to encircle 20-25 divisions thus far and am making good progress in the Center.

I will be spending notable time learning this title.

Thanks for putting out a quality product. [8D]

I agree with everything you say here, particularly as regards the map. Having played WITE with Jison's map mod this map makes my eyes hurt. It's like a throwback to the 1990's and makes the game look really dated which is ironic as the game is a huge innovation in PC wargaming.

It's a shame the map doesn't reflect this.

I wish we could get the DC game engine on Jison's WitE map! At the end of the day though, I gave up on WitE because of the AI, particularly in relation to its 1941 habit of running away and spamming out a carpet of empty brigade sized units. The AI in DC is far more convincing and satisfying IMHO.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

winter time is nasty

when you still have your summer uniforms[;)] get worse as well, when your panzer's don't run, your trucks are frozen and you get no supplies, and the other side drives around like madmen
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 162 times
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
budd

Post by budd »

OK, i'm folding....where's the buy button[:)].
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Right now the only thing that has me scared is the 300 page manual! I don't want another Grigsby game. I do have the first two DC games, and they are fine?
Tony
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Treale

Right now the only thing that has me scared is the 300 page manual! I don't want another Grigsby game. I do have the first two DC games, and they are fine?

Only the first 257 are actual rules. The rest are designers notes etc.
Also the rules have lots of illustrated examples and designers notes so that makes them stretch out.
Not as bad as it sounds.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
budd

Post by budd »

I believe it was stated that there are less counters then case blue. I just got WITE and i enjoy it. of course i won't be playing the main campaign, too many counters for me. I just ordered and installed DCB. I did something i haven't done it years, i ordered the hard copy. That manual looks nice.

Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

ORIGINAL: Treale

Only the first 257 are actual rules. The rest are designers notes etc.
Also the rules have lots of illustrated examples and designers notes so that makes them stretch out.
Not as bad as it sounds.
No, it's not as bad as it sounds.
Take 20 min at badtime - you'll pass the manual fast.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I believe it was stated that there are less counters then case blue. I just got WITE and i enjoy it. of course i won't be playing the main campaign, too many counters for me. I just ordered and installed DCB. I did something i haven't done it years, i ordered the hard copy. That manual looks nice.

Did they get the tax problem straightened out?
Tony
budd

Post by budd »

i have never seen taxes and didn't this time. Probably its a state to state thing. I'm in Washington state, no physical presence, no taxes. It's been so long since i ordered a hard copy the shipping charge surprised me[:)]

Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

i have never seen taxes and didn't this time. Probably its a state to state thing. I'm in Washington state, no physical presence, no taxes. It's been so long since i ordered a hard copy the shipping charge surprised me[:)]

I've never been charged tax either. I'm not sure where they mail their hard copies from. I did get World in Flames, but I don't remember where it came out of?
Tony
Rainsong94

Post by Rainsong94 »

If I recall correctly from past purchases, they mail out the physical copies from a warehouse in Oregon. As for taxes, it appears no taxes are being charged at the moment, at least to California, even for physical copies. It is presumably a glitch so take advantage of it while it lasts.
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

The very first impressions are now over. But I am still young in the game.
Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa seems to me a little less to be a plain game, but much more of an experience!
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Templer,

Thanks.

The faces you mentioned earlier in the thread were excluded as an aesthetic choice by myself.

They looked a bit too much like they had just stepped out of the shower, blow dried their hair and pressed their uniforms.

Once I find the time to roll them around in the dirt, have the dog chew them up and knock a few dents in their helmets, they may return.

Cheers,
Cameron
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

Was not going to buy the game because of the role playing elements. Very hard to do and easy to muck up and turn into a cartoony charade which could grate on repetition. So far I am enjoying those elements and appreciate how much this dimension adds to the game. Thanks for all the effort and thought it took to pull it off well.

I am very happy with my purchase. Haven't been so excited about playing for a long time.

And I may be a minority of one but I really like the map.

I am a happy camper!

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”