The Sale Alert Thread!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Orm

RE: Cliffs of Dover Again

Post by Orm »

I'm guessing none of you have credit cards then... as they contain the same kind of "we can do anything we want to you at any time" language. Your option is to go without a credit or debit card... good luck with that.
There is a difference in what I buy with the card stay mine even if I cut the card.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

There is a huge difference in what different companies put in their agreements.

If more objected the worst paragraphs would change.

*censored speech* [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

There's also a little thing called a prepaid visa that is a card outside of your banks or creditors. You goto Walmart or Walgreen and you load it with whatever amount you want and nobody is getting your id or any other vitals. As long as you load the card with the exact amounts you will never lose anything unless the merchant is a crook and just takes your money and runs.

I on the otherhand use a 3rd party bank with only funds in it to buy online stuff. Never attached to my bank accounts or creditors. No $3 charge for a reload of the account either. [;)]
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Orm
I'm guessing none of you have credit cards then... as they contain the same kind of "we can do anything we want to you at any time" language. Your option is to go without a credit or debit card... good luck with that.
There is a difference in what I buy with the card stay mine even if I cut the card.

True, but when they increase their fees and interest rates on your account your still screwed, despite your option to refuse to accept and just pay off your entire balance. My bank just increased my monthly account fee from $9 to $13, didn't even notify me... it just showed up on my account.

I don't see what Steam can do to me that compares to all the financial shenanigans I have endured over the years [:)]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

There's also a little thing called a prepaid visa that is a card outside of your banks or creditors. You goto Walmart or Walgreen and you load it with whatever amount you want and nobody is getting your id or any other vitals. As long as you load the card with the exact amounts you will never lose anything unless the merchant is a crook and just takes your money and runs.

I on the otherhand use a 3rd party bank with only funds in it to buy online stuff. Never attached to my bank accounts or creditors. No $3 charge for a reload of the account either. [;)]

True and I don't blame you at all.

You certainly don't have to use Steam either.

Different strokes... and all that [;)]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Orm

There is a huge difference in what different companies put in their agreements.

If more objected the worst paragraphs would change.

*censored speech* [:D]

If that would only happen <sigh> but look at all the people loudly objecting to Ubisoft's U-Play system. I don't see them backing off yet... I dearly want Anno 2070 and GG had a great bargain on the complete collection of the game and all the DLC's... but I checked the Steam reviews and many, many people were continuing to post horror stories about U-Play not letting them play their games. I decided I didn't want to roll the die on whether I would have problems so I passed on the game again.

I'm sure Ubisoft noticed my concerns <not> and I'm waiting to see what they do next. Hoping popular pressure will force a change.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

My recent bad experience with StormPowered's Jutland, really turned me off to individual companies all deciding they have to require their own little Gaming System... not that even GOG just introduced "GOG Galaxy" though it isn't required... yet. EA has their "Origin" system which didn't work well for me with their "Free to play" editions of their old classics.

No, I'd rather take a chance with Steam than play along with individual companies's DRM systems. I'm even hesitant to buy new John Tiller games now... though I trust him to take care of his customers if he had to close up shop.

Matrix/Slitherine/AGEOD and HPS do give me the warm cuddly feelings that my games are all safe to play forever [:)] Paradox used to, but I'm not so sure about them anymore (see my gripes about East India Company). The way PON kinda bounced around there before AGEOD turned to Matrix/Slitherine was scary as well, even though my PON Paradox purchase remained playable and not orphaned.

It's a tough world, I don't blame anyone for being a skeptic [:)]

But you did miss a great deal on CLOD at $2.49 even if you had to hold your nose to get it [:D][:D][:D]

PS thanks to everyone for helping me run up my post count as I aspire to my 5th star [&o][&o][&o]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

My recent bad experience with StormPowered's Jutland, really turned me off to individual companies all deciding they have to require their own little Gaming System... not that even GOG just introduced "GOG Galaxy" though it isn't required... yet....

GOG Galaxy exists because a significant number of GOG customers want it. If GOG Galaxy ever became mandatory, GOG would probably lose so many customers that it would go out of business--Good Old Games was founded on the principle of DRM-Free games and after the name changed to GOG.com its DRM-Free policy continued.

No, I'd rather take a chance with Steam than play along with individual companies's DRM systems....

Just because a game is sold on Steam doesn't mean it doesn't have another form of DRM. Just look at the UPlay games as well as SecuROM and other lesser known copy protection methods that exist on some titles in addition to Steam's DRM.

Matrix/Slitherine/AGEOD and HPS do give me the warm cuddly feelings that my games are all safe to play forever [:)] Paradox used to, but I'm not so sure about them anymore....

Sadly, nothing lasts forever, especially on the internet.

It's a tough world, I don't blame anyone for being a skeptic [:)]]

Amen to that!
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

another lil ole saying: You can't miss what you never had. [:D]

Also, with game companies like Matrixgames, Slitherine, HPS, etc. etc. as long as they don't follow the steam only path I don't think the majority of us have anything to worry about here. Most of that stuff on steam is well it's just not adult material. Some things but most are not. All the good games I want are here or those others I listed. I certainly don't need steam to have a good gaming time. [:'(]

[8|]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
aaatoysandmore

RE: GOG - Early Anno series Sale

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Hey Rhonda! Check out "checkfinders.com" sometime you might be glad you did if you're paying service fees.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

thanks for the heads up.. great game at a great price...
Im not longer a foe o steam and actually prefer it, nice to deleat un used stuff and then go to a cloud based system and re install with a few clicks.. MUCH easier to set up on new pc etc...

"Tanks forward"
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Time to dust this thread off and bump it in readiness for all the Holiday sales coming up.

Gamer's Gate has launched their Thanksgiving sale, as has Steam (over 1800 games on sale!

You might want to check out the latest "Humble Bundle" if you like racing games like "Grid" and "Dirt" franchises.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

If you look carefully you might find our sale has started ;)

Its not announced yet but all the sale prices are now in effect!
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Titles I am looking at in the Matrix Sale:

Command Operation Modern Naval and Air Operations (If I got the name wrong, sorry. It's a long name!)
Flash Point Campaigns Red Storm
And last but no necessarily least Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Titles I am looking at in the Matrix Sale:

Command Operation Modern Naval and Air Operations (If I got the name wrong, sorry. It's a long name!)
Flash Point Campaigns Red Storm
And last but no necessarily least Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars.

Hmmm. Christmas sale just in time as I hit a $2,764 jackpot on the slots!!!! Yipieeee.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Nice job zap now save some of that money for the winter bills and some games!!!!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

50% CMANO. I hope they're making some money [;)]
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Well, I hoped for 50% off on MWiF but I'll take 30%... I've put this purchase off far too long!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Correction! Steam has overy 8,000 games on sale.

Picked up Supreme Ruler and Forged Alliance sequel for less than $5 last night. Let the good times roll [:D]
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Let us know if Supreme Ruler is any good Rhonda. I've been on the fence for that one for a long time now.

Return to “General Discussion”