Courtenay's solitaire AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

RE: Courtenay's solitaire AAR

Post by Courtenay »

Here is the Italian front. I apologize for the missing hexrow between the two pictures.

Attachments
JF44X4ItalyEnd.jpg
JF44X4ItalyEnd.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 48 times
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Here is northern China:

Attachments
JF44X4NChinaEnd.jpg
JF44X4NChinaEnd.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

And lastly, here is southern China:

Attachments
JF44X4SChinaEnd.jpg
JF44X4SChinaEnd.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

J/F 44 Allied #7: weather 10+2 = 12(!): B, B, B, R, St, St modifier +3, impulse advance 4
This is the weather we have gotten used to this game. This is the second 12 I have managed to get in J/F this game. The Germans are very pleased.
US, SU, Ch, land; CW, Fr naval
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

During naval movement using the unit screen tells me of a speed 4 CW transport, currently in Brussels, that I had forgotten all about. The CW is very happy to find that unit; it is fast enough that it can sail to Dover, pick up the MECH there, and return to the continent without giving the Germans SUBs a chance to sink it in the North Sea.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Allies begin naval combat in the South China Sea. The Japanese fly two NAVs to the zero box and one to the three box. The CW regrets the fight when they roll a 10 and the Japanese a 2. With 8 surprise points, a 2A result gets changed to an X, a D and two As. The Japanese sink a US SUB; the Allies damage an Austrlian SUB (it comes back fastest) the Japanese abort the French sub, and the Allies try to abort the damaged Australian SUB, which rather improbably saves.

Attachments
JF44A7NCSChinaSea.jpg
JF44A7NCSChinaSea.jpg (322.21 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

After that fiasco, the CW tries to initiate a fight three more times. In the Bay of Bengal, both sides roll 8s. In the Baltic, Allies 10, Germans 4. And in the China Sea, both sides roll 9s. The Allies really wish those rolls had been saved for land combat.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The US rails newly arrived units from the Atlantic coast of France: An ENG to Metz, an ART to Liege, and an ARM to Rotterdam. The Russians rail a 9-5 white print ARM and a 2-5 ENG from around Konigsburg to Berlin, and Yeremenko from Rumania to southwest of Zagreb.

US units move to take the rest of Holland, Aachen, and Saarbrucken. The US has no units that can reach Cologne, or the US would take that, too. There are plenty of CW units that can, but they can't move because of the naval. The Allies really don't expect to see any German units in the place; the Germans need their reinforcements elsewhere.

The Cartegena MIL takes Cadiz.

A Russian CAV takes Tirana and moves one hex north, flipping itself since it was out of supply.

No attacks look good. The only attack at reasonable odds, a +5 against Madgeburg, looks much less good when one realizes the the probable result is to trade a Russian ENG for a German GAR. The Allies will wait for better weather. The Russians ooze forward a hex towards an empty Hamburg.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The US off loads a LND-3 and two FTRs to Europe and the CW unloads the Canadian Mosquito. The New Zelanders fly their Corsair from Efate to Truk.

The Russians use Rokossovsky to reorganize the 9-5 ARM and 2-5 ENG that railed to Berlin. The real point is the ENG; the ARM is just a bonus.

End of turn roll 5. Turn continues.

A very fast pair of impulses. At this rate, the Axis will last forever. Now all they have to do is figure out how to cause an ice age.... [:)]
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

J/F 44 Axis #11:
Ge, Ja naval; It combined

It is time for the German submarines to try something!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Germans move all their submarines out, including the out of supply ones in Lisbon. Most go to the Bay of Biscay and Cape St. Vincent; one short ranged one goes to the North Sea.

The Italians put a CP and two cruisers in the zero box of the Western Med.

The Japanese pull a bad INF out of China to Hiroshima; US submarines attempt to intercept and fail. The Japanese put a lot more ships into the China Sea. They also put a CP into the Bismark Sea. (Another interception attempt failed.) Lastly, the Japanese pull Hata into the three box of the China Sea, along with a division. The Japanese think that this is his best chance to get back to Japan.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Germans attempt submarine combat in the North Sea, the Bay of Biscay, and Cape St. Vincent.

In the North Sea, the the lone German sub rolls a 9, the Allies a 1. The Allies move their result up to an X and a D, and reduce the Germans to NE. The German submarine survived the X, but the D sank it.

Attachments
JF44X11NCNorthSea.jpg
JF44X11NCNorthSea.jpg (281.81 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

In the Bay of Biscay, the the Germans roll a 2, the Allies a 9. Only two Subs in the three box find. The Germans have a lot of choices here: go for the Allied CPs, the new Canadian CV, or one of the many Allied transports in the sea area. If they go for one of the surface vessels, should they pick submarine combat or surface combat? After a lot of calculation, the Germans decide that surface combat is the way to go. They also decide that naval supremacy has already been lost, and the most valuable units the Allies have are their TRS, so they pick surface combat and choose the French transport as their target. (They were certain that if they picked the CV, it would roll a 5 and save, where the TRS would sink.) As it was, the TRS rolled a 2, and sank.

Attachments
JF44X11NCBiscay1ACas.jpg
JF44X11NCBiscay1ACas.jpg (352.75 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Allies put both the aborts on the Canadian CV, which saved both times, which aborted it. The Germans take a D on a sub, which rolls poorly and is damaged, and the three A's abort both subs in the combat.

Attachments
JF44X11NCBiscayXCas.jpg
JF44X11NCBiscayXCas.jpg (296.67 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Germans, encouraged by this success try again. They have to roll a 1 to find the Allies, but it could happen. Instead, they roll a 9 and the Allies a 3. The two bad cruisers in the four box fight the Germans. The Allies reduce the German damage from a D and an A to 2 As. Both Allied cruisers need to roll eights not to abort; they both roll sevens.

Attachments
JF44X11NCBiscay2ACas.jpg
JF44X11NCBiscay2ACas.jpg (282.09 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The CW increases its damage from 2A to 2D and 3A. The Germans put both D's on their worse sub (they will not be repairing any subs, thank you), which blows both damage rolls and sinks. The other sub is chased from the sea zone by the first A.

Attachments
JF44X11NCBiscay2XCas.jpg
JF44X11NCBiscay2XCas.jpg (300.73 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

In Cape St. Vincent, the Germans say, who knows? They might roll a 1.

They do. The Allies roll a 10. The Germans were planning to destroy a bunch of Allied convoys, when they suddenly notice that the British have an empty AMPH in the sea area that was rebasing to the Mediterranean. The Germans move up their combat as much as they can while saving six surprise points to pick target. They want to be sure of killing the AMPH even it saves from the first X. First, though, they suffer an X and an A. The X kills the slowest German sub, while the other sub in the two box actually saves on the abort.

Attachments
JF44X11NCCpStVXCas.jpg
JF44X11NCCpStVXCas.jpg (295.57 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Then it is the German's turn, and they attack the AMPH. It rolls a 4, and sinks. This leaves the Germans with three surprise points, and they pick a French convoy for their next target; they feel the convoys are more valuable than any of the surface ships in the battle. The French lose two CPs, the CW one, and one French CP is aborted.

Attachments
JF44X11NCCpStVACas.jpg
JF44X11NCCpStVACas.jpg (336.89 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

The Germans, feeling emboldened, try for a second round of combat, and roll another 1! The Germans lose another submarine, and have another aborted, but they destroy all five Allied convoys remaining in Cape St. Vincent (4 CW, 1 French). The third round, the lone German sub stays in the sea zone, but is not committed to combat, ending the fight.

Attachments
JF44X11NCCpStV2XCas.jpg
JF44X11NCCpStV2XCas.jpg (291.22 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Here are the Allied casualties:

Attachments
JF44X11NCCpStV2ACas.jpg
JF44X11NCCpStV2ACas.jpg (336 KiB) Viewed 48 times

Return to “After Action Report”