Stand alone (readish) maps of potential hostile areas?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

TMP95

Stand alone (readish) maps of potential hostile areas?

Post by TMP95 »

Curious -

Are there any maps out with same just a base level of units (SAMs, An airport or two with fighters) Naval base ect, for given locations (say N.Korea, Syria, Iran, ect). Where one could have a map to build off for quick designed missions.

It would be nice to just have a template of given locations where you could DL such a map and then just build smaller scenarios off it. And
Rory Noonan

RE: Stand alone (readish) maps of potential hostile areas?

Post by Rory Noonan »

You can use the .inst files included with the game for this. Most airbases are present for most countries, and more regularly featured countries (Russia, USA, China, NK) have SAM sites and EW sites plotted.

You can also make your own. It's simple and quick.

There's more info in the manual and mega faq.
jimcarravall

Post by jimcarravall »

ORIGINAL: TMP95

Curious -

Are there any maps out with same just a base level of units (SAMs, An airport or two with fighters) Naval base ect, for given locations (say N.Korea, Syria, Iran, ect). Where one could have a map to build off for quick designed missions.

It would be nice to just have a template of given locations where you could DL such a map and then just build smaller scenarios off it. And

Haven't used it to build new scenarios, but on reading news of modern conflicts which mention based near cities and the like, I've had pretty good luck searching on the internet for information regarding permanent military installations and their locations.

There are a number of people and organizations who chart out locations of permanent emplacements using Google Earth imagery and a reasonably accurate version of image classification based on military aerial and satellite photography analysis disciplines. You don't necessarily get the details of what specific weapon systems are emplaced or headquartered at a location (they lack cross reference intelligence on communications hubs and call signs from the image), but the location coordinates, the base's geographic and sometimes official name, and some version of classifying its type are apparent enough from the information they provide.

Take care,

jim
TMP95

Post by TMP95 »

Thanks! The import .inst files are quite nice! Just started to realize them. I am curious why when setting up a scenario say USA/Syria (1990s). After I've imported Syria AD and EW stations....They are only viewable (in their locations) when I switch to American side / Global Eye view...... but not when I'm on Syria's side (when the AD/EW would be thiers to know where they are at).. When I'm on Syria side in the editor they basically just show up as two separate locations encompassing all them.

How do I know which SAM unit is where (if I want to give individual SAM sites differnent ROEs)??.

Also, is that possible to give different SAM sites ROEs? I'm almost sure it is.

How do SAMs / EW playout if as ROE they are set to passive?? as opposed to always active? What would be base setting for a given location? I'd assume some are set to active and others to passive. But does the AI know if one EW system picks up an unknown contact to rely this info to other sites to begin going active and passive until ID?
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Sounds like you have everything set on one side. You need to use the imports separately for each side.

I am going to suggest that you do a bit of experimenting yourself here. The questions you've asked are easily answered with 10-15 mins in game time.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”