Should I consider buying this?

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

gtrpastor

Should I consider buying this?

Post by gtrpastor »

I've been looking at this game since it came out. I watched the whole Twitch video and found it interesting. There is one thing holding me back from buying it: I like a game that is deep, but not too complicated to use. I like Panzer Corps (simple) and Advanced Tactics (complex, but not really complicated). TOAW III is a bit on the complicated side--I'm working at it, but I don't like it when I read the manual, read through AARs, and still don't understand everything (perhaps not a fault of the game, but of my level of patience).

Where does this game fit on that spectrum?
Crossroads

RE: Should I consider buying this?

Post by Crossroads »

Hello speef, welcome to the forum! There's a couple of Bootcamp videos at the War Room sub forum, maybe they'd help you to get an idea on how the game plays out [:)]
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

Thanks Crossroads. I'll check those out.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

It's like chess; easy to learn, difficult to master.
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Sounds good. Easier to learn than TOAW? Or have you not played that?
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

I'd say this is a easier than TOAW, although what you know is easy right. I read your post there, I recall my first victory at Kasserine Pass too. Man was I happy about myself then! [:D]
---
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

I'd say this is a easier than TOAW, although what you know is easy right. I read your post there, I recall my first victory at Kasserine Pass too. Man was I happy about myself then! [:D]

:)

Still an amazing game...because I want to keep playing just so I can win again!
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Yeah, I think it is easier than TOAW. This game has a pretty lengthy rulebook (100+ pages) but the mechanics are really pretty simple, conventional, and intuitive. I'm still working on some issues better, like engineers and leaders, but generally it is pretty easy to pick up.

Note, however, that I've been playing computer wargames for a long time, and it sounds like you're pretty new, so it might be a bit harder for you, but I doubt that much.

There might be a demo or at least a cheap game for some of the older JTCS games, which are basically this game before it was revamped. This game will look much better and has some other improvements, but gameplay is very similar.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Or should I rephrase that: Campaign Series is more traditional than TOAW, which turn sequence is pretty unique and takes some time to get used to. What we have here is the classic Action Points based system, so completing ones turn is more straightforward, than with TOAW.

Don't want to upset my TOAW friends, and while different (or rather, because of that), I like it a lot as well. [:)]
---
Big Ivan

Post by Big Ivan »

IMO I think it is easier than TOAW.

Once you get the hang of the movement, combat and artillery plotting its pretty simple after that.

Remember it is tactical in nature and LOS (Line of Sight) plays a big role. If you can be seen you can be killed and vice versa.

One of the biggest positives about this game is it is turn based and with that having been said it is excellent for play by e-mail (PBEM).

There is a whole nation of Campaign Series PBEM players here, at the Blitz War game Club and the War Gamers Club for gentlemen.

Also there is a fantastic resource of experienced players and designers that have mucho experience in addressing questions and problems.

Hope you take the plunge and enjoy CSME.

Good Luck!
Big Ivan
Blitz call sign Big Ivan.
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Yeah, I think it is easier than TOAW. This game has a pretty lengthy rulebook (100+ pages) but the mechanics are really pretty simple, conventional, and intuitive. I'm still working on some issues better, like engineers and leaders, but generally it is pretty easy to pick up.

Note, however, that I've been playing computer wargames for a long time, and it sounds like you're pretty new, so it might be a bit harder for you, but I doubt that much.

There might be a demo or at least a cheap game for some of the older JTCS games, which are basically this game before it was revamped. This game will look much better and has some other improvements, but gameplay is very similar.

I'm pretty new to the hardcore wargames... I've been playing Advanced Tactics for awhile, but nothing like War in the West or anything.

Thanks for the tip. I did find a demo at the John Tiller site for Muis '43. I'll play through that and see if I like it. I've played a few of his iPad games. This looks similar, although much bigger in scope.
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

Or should I rephrase that: Campaign Series is more traditional than TOAW, which turn sequence is pretty unique and takes some time to get used to. What we have here is the classic Action Points based system, so completing ones turn is more straightforward, than with TOAW.

Don't want to upset my TOAW friends, and while different (or rather, because of that), I like it a lot as well. [:)]

Makes sense. I'm used to the Action Points system from Advanced Tactics.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: speef

I like Panzer Corps (simple) and Advanced Tactics (complex, but not really complicated). TOAW III is a bit on the complicated side--I'm working at it, but I don't like it when I read the manual, read through AARs, and still don't understand everything (perhaps not a fault of the game, but of my level of patience).

I have vague memories of playing Panzer General & Pacific General ~15 years ago. In the Campaign Series, the basic mechanics of moving, firing, assaulting etc. are about as easy as Panzer Corps (similar to Panzer General etc.), I'd guess. But playing it easy, you will lose more than you will win, of course, even playing solo vs. the A/I. The Campaign Series A/I is pretty decent.

I would agree that the CS games are easier than TOAW. But taking into account all the subtleties, not by much.

Definitely, spot on.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I did find a demo at the John Tiller site for Muis '43. I'll play through that and see if I like it.

Note that Mius 43 is a demo for a different John Tiller series: Panzer Campaigns.

I didn't see a demo for the John Tiller Campaign Series (ie, the basis for this game), but the original series is on sale for what looks like $20 (mine is priced in Russian rubles so not sure about exact $ amount). I have this set as well, and it has LOTS of content, but I found it virtually unplayable on a high-resolution monitor because the hexes and units were too small to be easily visible for my old eyes. This issue has been fixed in this game.

By the way the Panzer Campaigns series is fairly similar to this series, but is one level up, ie operational rather than tactical like this game. So units are basically battalions, there is no ranged fire (other than arty, etc.). There are lots of very good Panzer Campaigns games; while the Mius demo will give you a good idea of how gameplay works, the game itself is pretty dull IMHO.
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

ORIGINAL: berto

I like Panzer Corps (simple) and Advanced Tactics (complex, but not really complicated). TOAW III is a bit on the complicated side--I'm working at it, but I don't like it when I read the manual, read through AARs, and still don't understand everything (perhaps not a fault of the game, but of my level of patience).

I have vague memories of playing Panzer General & Pacific General ~15 years ago. In the Campaign Series, the basic mechanics of moving, firing, assaulting etc. are about as easy as Panzer Corps (similar to Panzer General etc.), I'd guess. But playing it easy, you will lose more than you will win, of course, even playing solo vs. the A/I. The Campaign Series A/I is pretty decent.

I would agree that the CS games are easier than TOAW. But taking into account all the subtleties, not by much.

Definitely, spot on.

Sounds good. I'm not so much looking for a game that is easy as in not challenging, but rather not too complicated to pick up and play. I don't mind a challenge, as long as I can figure out why I lost.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Well then this should be not that unfamiliar to you. Having perhaps looked at the Bootcamp videos, done with 3D View, here's an AAR I wrote at the Grogheads AAR forum about my PBEM game vs Berto. I do like my map boards and counters, so it is done completely using the 2D view, my favourite.

The AAR also depicts quite nicely how the 1.00 game looks like out of the box, and its evolution towards the 1.01 version, that should be out in not too distant future.

[:)]
---
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

Well then this should be not that unfamiliar to you. Having perhaps looked at the Bootcamp videos, done with 3D View, here's an AAR I wrote at the Grogheads AAR forum about my PBEM game vs Berto. I do like my map boards and counters, so it is done completely using the 2D view, my favourite.

The AAR also depicts quite nicely how the 1.00 game looks like out of the box, and its evolution towards the 1.01 version, that should be out in not too distant future.

[:)]
Okay, I'll check that out!
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
I did find a demo at the John Tiller site for Muis '43. I'll play through that and see if I like it.

Note that Mius 43 is a demo for a different John Tiller series: Panzer Campaigns.

I didn't see a demo for the John Tiller Campaign Series (ie, the basis for this game), but the original series is on sale for what looks like $20 (mine is priced in Russian rubles so not sure about exact $ amount). I have this set as well, and it has LOTS of content, but I found it virtually unplayable on a high-resolution monitor because the hexes and units were too small to be easily visible for my old eyes. This issue has been fixed in this game.

By the way the Panzer Campaigns series is fairly similar to this series, but is one level up, ie operational rather than tactical like this game. So units are basically battalions, there is no ranged fire (other than arty, etc.). There are lots of very good Panzer Campaigns games; while the Mius demo will give you a good idea of how gameplay works, the game itself is pretty dull IMHO.

I'll keep that in mind when I try it out. It looks like Tiller's UI is similar on all the games, so from that perspective I'll hopefully get an idea.
gtrpastor

Post by gtrpastor »

With the Matrix sale I could hardly resist... I purchased the older Campaign Series for $20.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Great news, Speef!

That will definitely give an insight on how Middle East plays.

Any questions, feel free to ask any questions!

Jason Petho

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”