Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Templer_12

Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Post by Templer_12 »

I am on the fence, but:

• Only a single scenario
• No Manstein
• Only 1941/1942
• Airwar and artillery abstracted
• Price

The fact is, with each title of the Decisive Campaigns series the developer Victor Reijkersz presented interesting and fun raising innovations.
Also the AI was competend, always good and should be improved with the game now.

I had a lot of fun and satisfaction playing the two predecessors, Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris and Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue.

Airwar and artillery abstracted – a bit confusing.
stormbringer3

RE: Skeptical about Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa

Post by stormbringer3 »

After playing WiTE I'm glad they abstracted the airwar. The airwar in WiTE had a lot of problems. Also for me, the support unit concept got old, too much effort to move them around.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi Templer,

Since you own the previous games here is a quick and dirty explanation.
Divisions have divisional artillery included. Its just that there is no artillery attack mode anymore.
All the corps, army level artillery assets have been abstracted in a card that you can use to focus artillery on a specific frontage.
Exception and addition is a siege artillery card.

There are no air unit counters on the map but there are airfields and you have to make decisions when to relocate the Luftwaffe forward deeper into Russia as well as deal with how the Luftwaffe will need to be employed by events and action cards. Bonusses are provided for the armies that receive tactical air support. Furthermore cards also provide air resupply options.

The AI is my best so far imho and I am quite proud of it.

As for the one scenario... its deep and plays differently each time. But I am biased, other players might give you more objective feedback.

Best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
DerGrenadier

Post by DerGrenadier »

So thats 50,00 € for 1 scenario. Thats pretty steep. I think Ill pass on this one.
[center]Image
[center]

Xornox

Post by Xornox »

Boxed edition €86.94 with taxes and shipping. I know that I will resist again couple of months but eventually I will buy this. The price is horrendous and I am stupid.

nikdav

Post by nikdav »

Yes actually there is only one scenario , but don't forget the editor and the fantastic Community Project engine!
When we were able to manage the engine i am sure we had many scenarios and mods.[;)]

Queeg

Post by Queeg »

I'd rather have one scenario done really well - and with a unique point of view - than a dozen done in the same old way.
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: nikdav

Yes actually there is only one scenario , but don't forget the editor and the fantastic Community Project engine!
When we were able to manage the engine i am sure we had many scenarios and mods.[;)]

About the Community Project BETA. Its an extra from VR Designs.

It should be made available in 1-2 weeks (or close to it) to all DC:Barbarossa owners. I just want to deal with the initial release of Barbarossa first.

You can already see the initial docs over here:
http://www.vrdesigns.nl/atwiki/doku.php?id=dcx

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

To be fair, I think it's understating it more than a bit to call Operation Barbarossa a 'scenario'.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Templar,

WitE, two expansions; WitW and one expansion. That's a lot of dough. I honestly would not miss out on this one for $50. I still play small WitE scenarios, but it is more of a chore because I have not invested my life in learning the rules, and then re-learning them again as they change.

DC3 played right out of the box after watching videos. Also, it is a long scenario with tons of options and replayability as it is right now. Some people like the micro of WitE, but I think DC3 hit the sweet spot so far.
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

For my the price tag is absolutely ok. It`s the most innovative wargame i own! Enough said! [;)]
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

When do the game end?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

February '42.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Templer_12

Post by Templer_12 »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

February '42.
So, there will be no:
• Tiger
• Panther
• Stalingrad
• and no "Russia strikes back for justice"?
Panzeh

Post by Panzeh »

Believe me, Russia can strike back in this game something fierce, especially in the last two months when the Germans are on the end of their rope and the Soviets get their better organizations.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

Actually I wouldn't say it's only one scenario, since you can play the game from the Soviet side as well and believe me it's a completely different approach, the feeling of playing one side or another is very different and the decisions events you must undertake each turn adds hundreds of possibilities when replaying the game.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Not every game has to cover the entire war. The first few months were, arguably, the most decisive, but even if you really like the middle or end bits, there's nothing wrong with having a game focused on one part. Case Blue focused on the middle bit. There are games out there on Bagration and the end of the campaign. But this one happens to look at the beginnings.

I think what throws some people is that, unlike say a game on the Bulge, where you have a defined battle or campaign and cover it all, a game on the "Eastern Front" carries with it for some folks the connotations of the whole epic conflict. Just think of Barbarossa as, for instance, a campaign like the Stalingrad campaign, or the Kursk campaign, only bigger. It's limited by design; there are other games that attempt to cover everything.

I've only played a few turns (after reading the generally good manual) and this is definitely a very distinct, very interesting take on the campaign.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I played three turns and I find this the first war game that is actually trying something different. I hope we have mods for this and I will have my $ worth after a week. Look at all the crappy movies out there for$10 a pop
supersixfour

Post by supersixfour »

I was about to buy this, but then I realised the game covered only 8 months of the war.
For 50€, I'll pass for now.
krieg63

Post by krieg63 »

crazy prize 70$
no demo

and an other game I will pass ....

in 5 years, digital prize increase to boxed edition.
really unfair.
consequence, year after year I bought less game ....

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”