First Impressions

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

pierreoza

RE: First Impressions

Post by pierreoza »

just see and wait JagTiger :)
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

I think there may be some misconceptions about what is going on here that need to be cleared up.

The yellow line that this discussion is dancing around is not a border as much as the extreme edge of both sides' zones of control. It updates dynamically and changes the instant any unit near it begins to move. The presence or absence of a German zone of control in that hex has no impact on gameplay whatsoever, and ceases to exist the instant any of the three German divisions next to it begin moving (at which moment the hex becomes German).

I am not a member of the development team and cannot speak for what Vic and Cameron are or are not doing. But I have looked at five detailed Russian sitrep maps that show exactly what was where at the start of Barbarossa. My interpretation of those maps (which is neccessarily different from Cameron's) is that the single hex (NOT four hexes) that represents the swampy mouth of the Neman should probably be shown in German rather than Soviet control.

But I also observe that several more patches are likely to come out since I have never seen a game that didn't get patched subsequent to release.

I am not sure, however, that moving a hex (or even two) from Russian control to German control on the initial map is going to make it to the top of any reasonable to-do list. As I said before, that hex and several hexes around it become instantly German the moment the shooting starts. Whether the hex in question starts out German or Soviet changes nothing that happens in the game. There are over eight thousand hexes in the gamemap: having one hex on the wrong side of a border for one instant does not make the entire map inaccurate.

At the risk of violating secrets of the confessional, your original point about the map was duly noted, just not discussed in public.

lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi JagdTiger,

I'm the official cartographer and the issue you've raised is one we weren't aware of until recently. There is some very conflicting evidence regarding this but we've investigated it and it appears that you're correct.

The map has been updated, as of yesterday, and should be rolled out in a forthcoming patch.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Map's, it appears, are a bit like history. Every version is different.

Cheers,
Cameron
Jagdtiger14

Post by Jagdtiger14 »

Thank you Cameron! I appreciate you and your team looking into this and making the corrections. I am interested in purchasing the game.
Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC
GI_Tom

Post by GI_Tom »

Ok, so I came home and purchased the game. Very much appreciate those who posted above that helped sway my decision.

1. Big thanks to designers/developers, etc. and the entire VR team.
2. The tutorials are FANTASTIC. Well done and thanks for taking the time to do those. For those who may not have the game, or who were NOT familiar with any of the previous series (like me), these tutorials do an excellent job of explaining various aspects. Combined they take in excess of 1 to 1.5 hours to watch, but are well worth it. These are the very best tutorials for a more complex game that I've had the pleasure of viewing.
3. The manual is superb. Excellent descriptions, art, etc. Well laid out and explained.
4. The detail and info on the counters is also excellent. Like how I can see at different levels and customize counters to my preference.
5. Reading the reports and making strategic level decisions really adds to the gameplay experience. I really felt as if I could be at HQ as I perused the info coming in from the front, etc.

Complaints? Only one. The map. So much more (imho) could be added to the immersion factor with some added polish. It is fully functional, but could use an upgrade in terrain type graphics, city graphics, etc.

All in all, very pleased with the purchase. Tonight only had time for the tutorials and 3 or 4 turns. While Der Fuhrer is not fully pleased with my progress, I have managed to encircle 20-25 divisions thus far and am making good progress in the Center.

I will be spending notable time learning this title.

Thanks for putting out a quality product. [8D]
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

I've been playtesting the game, so this is not a first impression, but after playing it from both sides extensively.

Anyone having played Advanced Tactics Gold, or even better the Decisive Campaigns games, will have an idea of the basics of play. However, even if you have not played those, the video tutorials in this game are outstanding and can be completed quickly.

The game is at the army/corps/division level, just perfect for a campaign of the scope of Barbarossa.

It's the most immersive gaming experience I've ever had, and I've been playing wargames since the '70s.

The AXIS player is involved in decision-making related to diplomacy, propoganda, morality, and most important of all - the entire supply/replacement organization and pipeline. Every decision you make has an impact on your relationships with the historical generals and political figures of the time, from Hitler to Brauchitcsh, Keitel, Jodl, Ribbentrop, Goebbels, Goering and to all of your army group and lower commanders. And you will develop a VERY intense relationship with Generals Wagner and Gercke, who are in charge of road and railroad supply and infrastructure/repair. You will learn to utilize the skills of your aide-de-camp and chief of staff. Their reports and presentation of decisions makes your job manageable.

The Soviet player essentially plays the part of the Stalin's chief of staff. Underneath you, you have Kruschev as overall political commissar, and Zhukov as your military hammer in the field. Both serve to tighten up your control and influence over your Front and army commanders, providing them encourgement, the benefit of your skills, or threats, as needed. Your decision-making has less overall scope than the Axis player, but there are high-level actions you are able to make on a turn-by-turn basis that impact supply, replacements, reinforcements, command capabilities in the field, and the very organizational efficiency of the Soviet military forces.

Of course, on both sides, you will be pushing the counters around. Yes, you take on all the above decision-making/role-playing, but you will also be managing the division, corps and army movements and combat.

I can't imagine another wargame on a specific historical campaign that has more plausible replayability than this game.

This is THE ultimate PC wargame. An absolute must have.

How can it be a game with a lot of replayability when there is only one front and all the units are the same in the same position when you begin a new playthrough?
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

as you chose which one have the extra supports options with the cards system in use

tm.asp?m=3973510

but will post some more of this if you wish?

already been called a fanboy, but giving users a choice and feedback is or can be part of being a tester, it's a users impressions, if that implies we are fanboys, so be it, but not a title i think is correct either[8|][:D][;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

options,

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (115.23 KiB) Viewed 187 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

more turn options

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (198.67 KiB) Viewed 187 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

and depending on your settings used, some more options to select

so depending on what starting options and difficulty selected, the options for each turn change, so re playability alters regarding your settings and not only your counter moves etc etc

this shows just a few of the Germans side ones, the Russians have more
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (122.43 KiB) Viewed 187 times
76mm

Post by 76mm »

You can choose different strategies in every wargame featuring a Barbarossa campaign, but I'm not sure that that alone guarantees replayability; I guess we'll see.

And it seems odd to have decisions about developing oil fields in a wargame at this level; are there other economic decisions as well?
jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

I saw the stream on twitch.tv last night, and there we were showed some of the options in the beginning of the game that you tell about.

But hvow much does it influence the gameplay?

It is not a cheap game, so I have to be sure, I want to play the game. And replayability is the most important feature for me, like in any other game.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

a lot, while it can be played fully with or without the options / cards shown, it can make it harder or easier depending on the one's used, imo it's a very new and novel way of game play, and does add to the re playability of the game over time, while some will love it, others won't, as it's new and also needs to get used to it, once mastered i find it adds to the punch for either side used at the right time in the right battle, it can be the deciding factor, then again so does the AI in it's options so it's a double edge sword as well, so can be a very big influence the game play in certain points on the battlefield, then again as more post ARR, they will show what card use does at a given time to improve a given situation and turn it hopefully in your favour, but some also can make it worse, as playing a card doesn't guaranty success either...
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: zakblood
imo it's a very new and novel way of game play, and does add to the re playability of the game over time, while some will love it, others won't, as it's new and also needs to get used to it

I agree that it is new and novel, and that some will love it; personally I'm on the fence. I guess it depends on what effects the cards have? My concern is that the cards could be essentially "magic spells" dressed up as operational or logistical decisions; ie, if their effects are too powerful, their effect would be more like magic than like some kind of decision made by a commander.
IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

ORIGINAL: GI_Tom

Ok, so I came home and purchased the game. Very much appreciate those who posted above that helped sway my decision.

1. Big thanks to designers/developers, etc. and the entire VR team.
2. The tutorials are FANTASTIC. Well done and thanks for taking the time to do those. For those who may not have the game, or who were NOT familiar with any of the previous series (like me), these tutorials do an excellent job of explaining various aspects. Combined they take in excess of 1 to 1.5 hours to watch, but are well worth it. These are the very best tutorials for a more complex game that I've had the pleasure of viewing.
3. The manual is superb. Excellent descriptions, art, etc. Well laid out and explained.
4. The detail and info on the counters is also excellent. Like how I can see at different levels and customize counters to my preference.
5. Reading the reports and making strategic level decisions really adds to the gameplay experience. I really felt as if I could be at HQ as I perused the info coming in from the front, etc.

Complaints? Only one. The map. So much more (imho) could be added to the immersion factor with some added polish. It is fully functional, but could use an upgrade in terrain type graphics, city graphics, etc.

All in all, very pleased with the purchase. Tonight only had time for the tutorials and 3 or 4 turns. While Der Fuhrer is not fully pleased with my progress, I have managed to encircle 20-25 divisions thus far and am making good progress in the Center.

I will be spending notable time learning this title.

Thanks for putting out a quality product. [8D]

I agree with everything you say here, particularly as regards the map. Having played WITE with Jison's map mod this map makes my eyes hurt. It's like a throwback to the 1990's and makes the game look really dated which is ironic as the game is a huge innovation in PC wargaming.

It's a shame the map doesn't reflect this.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: zakblood
imo it's a very new and novel way of game play, and does add to the re playability of the game over time, while some will love it, others won't, as it's new and also needs to get used to it

I agree that it is new and novel, and that some will love it; personally I'm on the fence. I guess it depends on what effects the cards have? My concern is that the cards could be essentially "magic spells" dressed up as operational or logistical decisions; ie, if their effects are too powerful, their effect would be more like magic than like some kind of decision made by a commander.

The card play effects are not like magic bombs. They are actually fairly subtle. Play a Front level artillery asset card on an Army and each Division in that Army gets a small boost during combat and the ability to slowly reduce fortifications it contacts. It's not an auto kill everything card.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Hi, Do you have the ability to watch the tutorials on a tablet? Can you send the tutorials to an external device to watch?
gwgardner

Post by gwgardner »

They are mp4 files and can be played on a tablet if you have a video player installed.

76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: Barthheart
The card play effects are not like magic bombs. They are actually fairly subtle.

Thanks; do players get the same cards every game, or is there some randomness in what cards appear?
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: 76mm
ORIGINAL: Barthheart
The card play effects are not like magic bombs. They are actually fairly subtle.

Thanks; do players get the same cards every game, or is there some randomness in what cards appear?

Umm... yes. [;)]

Not really randomness.
The cards are the same and mostly appear in the same places/hands/Leaders. But there are some decisions you make that will give different Leaders some cards. You can then make high level decisions (ie play cards) that move these cards to a different leader.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”