Tax for download only?

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Vic

bssybeep

Tax for download only?

Post by bssybeep »

I was just about to hit the submit button to purchase the download only and noticed it was charging me tax.

Is that correct? I was never charged tax for my previous purchased and especially for a download only?

thanks
zakblood

RE: Tax for download only?

Post by zakblood »

tax is per country and is always added, tried to find the readme but couldn't find it for you either [:(]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

thanks for the reply.

hmmm, interesting. I recently bought Hell and Heroes of Normandie and did not pay tax.

I wonder if this changed recently
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's a new shopping cart but Ian or staff will have to answer that one as all i could find was an old post which i'm sure no longer applies
Pursuant to the Digital VAT Directive, as of 1st July 2003, European customers will be charged VAT (Tax) on all downloadable digital products and services, including software at 17.5%.

A VAT invoice can be viewed and printed at the end of your purchase.

but pop back and support / staff will answer it better for you, enjoy the game[;)]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

Just checking for a response from support. I'm hoping it's a mistake. Given the higher price of the game, tax on a download would be enough for me to rethink making a purchase
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

The price is US$49.99.
Was this the final price that you saw on the checkout?
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

The price is US$49.99.
Was this the final price that you saw on the checkout?

nope. The final price was 49.99+tax amount
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

It was the final screen where you enter the credit card info and click submit. It displayed 49.99+<tax amount>
Rainsong94

Post by Rainsong94 »

I'm getting for the download only version, $49.99 USD + $4.37 Tax for a total of $54.36. Throughout the years it has always been this way for me whether I get the download version or physical. I'm in California.

For the physical version of DC3 it is $64.99 + $6.29 tax + $6.95 shipping for a total of $78.23. Yikes!
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ORIGINAL: FightinJoe94

I'm getting for the download only version, $49.99 USD + $4.37 Tax for a total of $54.36. Throughout the years it has always been this way for me whether I get the download version or physical. I'm in California.

For the physical version of DC3 it is $64.99 + $6.29 tax + $6.95 shipping for a total of $78.23. Yikes!

I double-checked my credit card statement to make sure I wasn't hallucinating and both my Hell and Heroes purchases were just the base price without any taxes. As well as all the past Matrix purchases. Interesting that you were always charged taxes...
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

yet, GOG and other download only game sites do not charge taxes, so I'm wondering what changed at Matrix and why?
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Who charges the taxes is Bluesnap (our e-commerce partner), not us. Are you both purchasing from US? Which state?
As you have already opened a helpdesk ticket, could you please attach a screenshot to the ticket showing the checkout with the tax, so that we can question tomorrow Bluesnap about this?
budd

Post by budd »

I've bought alot of matrix games and never been charged tax.Just bought reforged, what a week ago, no tax. I'm in the US
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Rainsong94

Post by Rainsong94 »

So you're telling me I've been charged tax throughout the years and it could be a mistake? I always thought it was suspicious but never said anything.
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

I opened a trouble ticket with the screenshot attached
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys,

tax has to be charged but some time ago we decided to pay it out of the revenue, not add it on top. The price you see should be the price you pay and if not something has broken at Bluesnap and we'll find out what. We've tested it a number of times here and we see no taxes added. You will pay tax, but its out of the $49.99 price, not added on top of it, so we effectively pay the tax for you.

We'll look in to it.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
Rainsong94

Post by Rainsong94 »

Attached pics of some of my purchases. Both Plimus and Bluesnap have always charged tax. Again I'm from California.
edit: Just did some research and it appears Plimus, which changed it's name to Bluesnap, are owned by Great Hill Partners. Even though their HQ is in Massachusetts, they have infrastructure and a presence in Silicon Valley, California. Hence probably the tax. But should tax be charged if they are just the e-commerce platform of which the transaction is going through?
Attachments
tax3.jpg
tax3.jpg (172.19 KiB) Viewed 446 times
RealChuckB

Post by RealChuckB »

ORIGINAL: FightinJoe94

Attached pics of some of my purchases. Both Plimus and Bluesnap have always charged tax. Again I'm from California.
edit: Just did some research and it appears Plimus, which changed it's name to Bluesnap, are owned by Great Hill Partners. Even though their HQ is in Massachusetts, they have infrastructure and a presence in Silicon Valley, California. Hence probably the tax. But should tax be charged if they are just the e-commerce platform of which the transaction is going through?

Download only software is sales-tax exempt in CA, so there should be no sales tax on that, independent where the seller is located
Rainsong94

Post by Rainsong94 »

I tried purchasing again and it seems the tax issue has been fixed. Who should I contact to get reimbursed for all the tax that I have been charged over the years?
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys,

talking to Bluesnap, the laws changed in some states in the US. In California and Massachusetts taxes now have to be charged and these are apparently different to VAT which is now absorbed on to the price. Some apply to physical some digital so the rules are applied differently in each state - its a legal mess!

Its a really complex subject because every country (and even states without a country) have their own sales tax rules. We don't deal with it as its just too complex and rely on our re-sellers to deal with this.

The tax was correctly charged so you have not lost out. What I don't understand is why you have no tax now - this should still be charged so it sounds like a bug. I'd buy now before they fix it and the tax appears again.

We'll also talk to Bluesnap to see if there is any other way to deal with it, but its all correct unfortunately because of the state you live in. I'd go and lobby for a tax cut!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “Tech Support”