Why is this game NZ$ 19.86 more expensive on Matrix than Steam?

Forum dedicated to the Scourge of War Game set during the Napoleonic Wars. Scourge of War: Waterloo follows in the footsteps of its American Civil War predecessors and takes the action to one of the most famous battles in history. It is by far the most detailed game about the final battle of the War of the Seventh Coalition.

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWarWaterloo

JiminyJickers

Why is this game NZ$ 19.86 more expensive on Matrix than Steam?

Post by JiminyJickers »

I haven't bought games from Matrix for a while because of this.

I would like to buy all my Matrix published games through Matrix to support you and to have the DRM free versions. However, all the Matrix games are much more expensive on here than on Steam.

Take Waterloo for example, buying on this on Steam costs NZ$ 53.99, buying directly from Matrix costs NZ$ 73.85. That is a whopping difference of NZ$ 19.86.

I cannot fathom why I'm being punished by wanting to buy through Matrix games directly. This has stopped me buying your games. I want to buy them but don't want the Steam versions, I want the DRM free versions.
BoldRover

RE: Why is this game NZ$ 19.86 more expensive on Matrix than Steam?

Post by BoldRover »

Just noticed this myself in Euro. There's no 10% discount on matrix site but there is on steam.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

seems to be a cart error maybe, contact support

http://www.matrixgames.com/support/
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

Re: Tax on Download Only Games
Postby IainMcNeil » 25 Nov 2015 10:17

Hi guys,

tax has to be charged but some time ago we decided to pay it out of the revenue, not add it on top. The price you see should be the price you pay and if not something has broken at Bluesnap and we'll find out what. We've tested it a number of times here and we see no taxes added. You will pay tax, but its out of the $49.99 price, not added on top of it, so we effectively pay the tax for you.

We'll look in to it.
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Thanks Zakblood, but there has always been an issue, it is just very bad now. Also, this is not Bluesnap adding tax, it is the price shown on the Matrix website.

Normally it was $7 to $10 difference between Steam and Matrix and they said that they work the exchange rate differently. However, it is getting so bad that I won't be able to buy games from here anymore. If it is not an error, then they need to re-think how they calculate it or move away from Bluesnap. This issue is at least driving away one customer.

I recently got a 35% voucher from Matrix for being with them for 3 years, the voucher is useless because of these massive price discrepancy.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

send a message to staff / support or Ian, they will get back to you with a better answer than i can give, then you will know for sure what the problem is, as there must be one[:(]
JiminyJickers

Post by JiminyJickers »

Good idea, I will send something through to support. Just to show, see attached for 3 games I'm keen to buy, but the price difference is just ridiculous.

Attachments
MatrixSteamPrices_Sm.jpg
MatrixSteamPrices_Sm.jpg (188.53 KiB) Viewed 236 times
BoldRover

Post by BoldRover »

Thanks fore suggesting. ticket created
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

good luck guys, hope it sorted soon for you[;)]
BoldRover

Post by BoldRover »

No luck.
They claim it's related to exchange rates, go figure. Both Matrix and Steam are listed in euro for me:
Matrix: € 44.99
Steam: € 41.39

So the explanation given below just doesn't make any sense. I only see euro prices (makes sense to me), so if anyone could confirm the price in dollars is indeed the same on matrix & steam that would be great. Even then, exchange rate impact should not be this significant, unless someone is ripping off someone.

Helpdesk reply:
The discount is matched between our store and Steam store. On Steam the discount price is $44.99 the same in our store $44.99.
The issue is that the Steam store have local currencies in their store, which sometimes are better or worse than real currency conversions.

EDIT: have asked whether I could get a matrix key if I buy via steam. Guess that would be a win-win.
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

I have in USD:

Matrix: $44.99
Steam: $44.99
BoldRover

Post by BoldRover »

ORIGINAL: Panman

I have in USD:

Matrix: $44.99
Steam: $44.99

Thanks.
Someone making lots of profit by exchanging $->€ I guess :-)
Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

That difference is USD 3.38 (rounded to nearest cent). I imagine Steam/Valve can get better exchange rates because they are a huge company with $$$$ profits and use a different financial controller to Matrix. I suspect no-one at Matrix or Valve is making money out of you, its probably a fat banker somewhere. I personally wouldn't not buy at a certain source because of such a minor difference, especially if I liked Matrix and wanted to support them.

"Exchange rates difference" could well be the truth in this case. The person probably isn't referring to international rates but the rates they are given by their finance partner.

Very much doubt you'll get a Matrix key via a Steam purchase but you may get lucky.

Worth a try at any rate.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i'g guess your chance are nil tbh[X(]
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

Its nothing to do with Steams size, its because Steam don't use a real exchange rate. They manually set prices in every territory and manually change when they decide to. Sometimes its higher, sometimes lower and we have no control over it as they use their own arbitrary values not based on exchange rates. All their games are region locked so when you buy in a country you can't resell it in another country. This prevents people playing the system. We don't force people to set up accounts verify credits cards etc to prove their location before they buy so don't have the ability to do this and to be honest don't want to - we don't think its fair that people in different countries pay different prices.

We only set the price in US$ and we use real exchange rates that change by day for all other currencies. We think that's the fairest way to do it but this is not something that everyone can ever agree on, as everyone obviously wants what is best personally for them :)
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
BoldRover

Post by BoldRover »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil
We only set the price in US$ and we use real exchange rates that change by day for all other currencies.

I'm getting prices listed in € though, both with Matrix and Steam.

What would be the advantage buying at matrix, it being more expensive than on steam?
thanks
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

What would be the advantage buying at matrix

You don't need to load another application to load the game. Steam client is currently consuming 60 MB of RAM on my system - doing nothing.
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

You can configure Steam not to run at startup. This way it will only run when you are playing a Steam game.

I prefer Matrix's serial DRM. It doesn't require an internet connection to play. You can also get a Steam key with your Matrix purchase should you prefer that service. And if both companies were to go out of business today (God forbid) I could still play all of my Matrix games. [:)]

Mr Digby

Post by Mr Digby »

Steam running while you play your game still takes up PC resources however. SoW being a pretty demanding game due to all the AI calculations that's not a good thing. Personally I'd buy the Matrix version.
e_barkmann

Post by e_barkmann »

You can configure Steam not to run at startup.

Having no applications running at startup is a key ingredient in enjoying the world of windoze :)
Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

Return to “Scourge of War: Waterloo”