game mechanics

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

Duck Doc

game mechanics

Post by Duck Doc »

Und vhut about das Kesselschlacht (best German accent flavor.) I played the Polish campaign in Decisive Campaigns a lot and enjoyed some cauldron battles. Does the engine simulate the large Kesselschalcht battles on the Easteern Front as well?

Alzo, could not handle the complexity of Case Blue, try as I did. TFMC. I was able to play GG's WiTE Barbarossa scenario with some comfort but could not get into a whole campaign in WitE, ninja style. What's the chance I could successfully negotiate this one? Obtw, for reference sake, a turn in WitE Barbarossa took me about a half hour.

I really promised myself I would not get another game I could not get into. But I got to tell you I have disposable income and these things are more addictive than nicotine and crack cocaine, just sayin'. [:-][:-][:-]

DC was very enjoyable. I am tempted but trying to be sane here. Thanks,
Barthheart

RE: game mechanics

Post by Barthheart »

DC3 has no where near the number of counters to move that DC2 has.

Each counter in DC3 is the entire division. DC1 and DC2 had divisions broken down into 3 or for counters.

Doing a single turn for me takes about 15 minutes at the start and varies from 5 to 15 minutes depending on what's happening as the game gets going.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
lancer

RE: game mechanics

Post by lancer »

Hi Dale,

The game has an ethos of no micromanagement. You're required to move your units but beyond that there shouldn't be any fiddly bits.

Lots of decisions but ones that matter.

You could certainly ninja your way into invading Russia. Any decisions that you ignore will be handled automatically by your Chief of Staff.

It wouldn't end well but you'll get enough of a grip on the game that a quick run through some of the tutorial videos should have you getting within postal range of Moscow.

Don't forget to bring a stamp.

Cheers,
Cameron

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”