Sharing Mod ideas

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

oldman45

RE: Sharing Mod ideas

Post by oldman45 »

It does look like Lenton had it wrong, thanks for sharing those two forums.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: Symon

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
Is this a stupid idea or would there be takers?
Takers. And it's not a stupid idea. Some of the "private" projects you mention are for limited scenarios that support some of the deeper OOB slices that the game engine supports.

Two things are happening: tweaks on campaign games, and tweaks on more specific scenarios. Thoughts on one might not be appropriate for the other. It takes a completely different mindset to play a super grainy "problem" than to play a GC game. And it takes a completely different view of unit TOEs and their specific breakdowns to have a successful "problem" scenario, as opposed to a GC "game".

Take this as you will. Ciao. JWE

DAMNED fine to see you Posting SIR!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Symon

Post by Symon »

Thank you, John 3rd. Good to see your RA mod is getting some real traction. You and Stan put a lot out there, and it's nice to see people picking up on it.

Ciao. JWE
Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

Excellent thread and full of good ideas!

I'd second traskott, a separate thread for posting stats for new unit types would be nice - there's a couple interesting ones which pop up in my mind, like Des Moines and Worcester, like Skyraider and Mauler, like a Agano with triple turrets (but that's in RA already anyway as far as I think), or whatever...
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
traskott

Post by traskott »

I will begin the air/ships threads this week.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Well i though about modding one or least do some of these things...

1)more accurate on aircraft plants
2)deploying units in proper place, reforcements should deploy in homeland rather than forward bases. (that what make me quit the game for not being accurate or realistic)
3)some many other ideas can make this game even better, as long dont abuse it.
RevRick

Post by RevRick »

junglification
?!?!?!?

Sir, as an English major, I need to see your license for Word Manufacturing, if you please!

This is a great thread. I have been playing with personal mods since the editor came out for WitP The Original Seri.. or Computer Game. Being a naval history nut, I know next to nothing about anything beyond the first bar off the beach, which means several things.

I have cobbled together several episodic mods with AltWNT at differing levels up to a 625Kton Capital Ship level, with the IJN at both 3:5 and 3.5:5 ratio in BBs etc. Now in doing this, I have bankrupted several economies (unless the naval build up helped fight the depressions with government spending - a 'stimulus' package, so to speak.), with the IJN/USN/RN investing in several larger building ways, developing synthetic fuels, learning how to make turbo chargers sooner, so on and so forth. All this to say, that there is a lot of data lying around in a number of files on my computer which may or may not make someone pant like a lizard on a hot rock (Can you say Eichezen Class BB with 12 16.1s and 32 kts, or a built up Montana with 18" 45s) Off the wall, fantasy, alternative history - sure. But some What Ifs are fun.

I also have a fairly serious look at re-engining and reconstructing the Big Five (or Big Six is Washington is completed), as well as the Fuso/Yamashiro/Ise/Hyuga (leading to two Hiragas), and the reconstruction of the QE class. (Not a lot can be done with the Resolutions except a funnel cap job!) (But I did have them replace by a Queen Victoria Class - QE with Q turret amidships!) in one case when the White Hall decided to not regress in WWI.

NOW!! This is not done from an professional naval engineer/historian/armorer/industrial standpoint. This is just a fly by the seat of the pants INT WTF IF this had been done rather than sit on one's hands protecting turf - i.e., Why was the P-39 castrated by removing the turbocharger? I know, $ $ $ $ $ $ $ - but if the understanding is there, someone usually finds a way to get the job done. It was more blind bureaucratic bovine scatology and Keep your nose out of my business than common sense. I mean, the USAAC really did not need a short legged, high flying, fast, somewhat maneuverable, adequately for the time armed aircraft, now did they?

Anyway... stopping the ranting. Anyone who wants some of this date, just send me a PM..
And anyone who has some information put together on IJA/IJN late aircraft upgrades, send me a PM.

If you want a just over the modified WNT limit 40,000 ton fast battleship with 8 16/50 Mk 3s as a primary battery, send me a PM.

It is a least grist for the mill, and I do love spending time grinding my way in this game...
when I quit thinking of what-ifs, that is.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Xilana

Post by Xilana »

Long-time reader on the forum, infrequent poster. First and foremost many thanks to all the mod and scenario makers who have done amazing work to the stock product. Its interesting to see how game strategy has evolved over the lat few years in some of the AARs.

What I like to see in a mod entails the game following a more historical modeling of events. China as a static front, Japan not needing/desiring to invade large swaths of India and Australia, counter-invasions centering upon the DEI by US troops.

I do hope to see Treespider's v2 appear at some point to see how his China ideas play out, and appreciate LSTs efforts to slow logistical tempo in his mod (another I hope to see here at some point!)

I'm not looking at this as a JFB or AFB, rather as an individual who wants to see either side have potential for victory centered upon period (1937-1945) geopolitical thinking prevalent amongst the Japanese and Allied powers. A novel approach to some of these issues could involve the PP system.

Example using the Big B no attack on Pearl Harbor scenario with Japan solely going for the SRA, one could set a PP charge for US entry. This could be extremely high at the onset, with decrements occurring over time due to Japanese atrocities.

I like LST's use of civilians in the SRA as an example for atrocity generation. The civilian concept I also like as a means of drawing off supply/logistics to both sides. Could this system work in China to make it a static front? Another area of thought for China involves the Manchukuo garrison; I think the pressure to keep the area garrison intact should take into consideration the turning of the tide for the USSR after mid-1942. The USSR could enter early using a system of PP/garrison requirements.

Some of the thoughts that I float may not have the capability of modeling in the game's code but could certainly lend themselves to a multiplayer game. I love the concept of a 2 player Japanese team (one Navy and one Army) each having to spend PP to obtain support of the other service to better represent service rivalry; the Allies would play similarly with the US player at odds to British/Dutch goals to restore imperial territories. "You want us to expend American lives to restore your imperialist colony holdings". One could further model the China situation by having the 2 allied groups splitting the Nationalists and Communists.

Just thoughts; again I enjoy where the game has been and where it goes.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Example using the Big B no attack on Pearl Harbor scenario with Japan solely going for the SRA, one could set a PP charge for US entry. This could be extremely high at the onset, with decrements occurring over time due to Japanese atrocities.

This is an interesting idea. But i to be interesting needs doubts about intervention, it would need some sort of link with UK/NL losses or Japanese troop levels in those areas. For the first example( UK/NL losses) if UK/NL fall too fast US doesn't intervene since it i is "fait accompli", if the combat level is low = low losses the same. All in between US intervenes.
derhexer

Post by derhexer »

The original WiTP had a campaign game that started on 1/1/1943. I'd like to see that one appear for WiTP AE. The Japanese have no chance of defeating the Allies, but they can make it very very bloody.
Chris
(Did you ever stop to think and forget to start?)
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Shamelessly self-promoting bump!

In case there are still personal modders out there : My personal mod (based on DBB-C Dec. 8 Start and aiming to make things more "historic") has finally reached a stage I consider “almost finished”. In the spirit of my initial post here in this thread I’d like to share the results. “Almost finished” means I have run out of ideas, but I still have a lot of playtesting to do. Consider the mod as a Beta. Feedback welcome and feel free to plunder ideas and data for your own personal mods.

I cannot upload a Word Doc through the forum software, so here is a Google Drive link to the documentation. It contains some ranting about the background of my mod, the "changelog" with some pictures and the links to the scenario files, pwhexe.dat files, Art and Map files.

For what it is worth.

Cheers,
LargeSlowTarget

Edit: Corrected link
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Awesome!
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

LST: Looks great. I've always found that 'almost finished' means NEVER completely finished! [:D] Best of luck Sir.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
LargeSlowTarget

Yes, probably never finished, I call it the "eternal beta" [:)]. Glad you like it.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

A very interesting mod indeed. Any way to create the AI files for this? I renamed scen28 AI files to scen49 AI files, but got no Jap AI activity on turn 1.
CaptBeefheart

Post by CaptBeefheart »

I see you have water distillation ships. Well, in that case, you'll need to add a brewery ship.

Cheers,
CC
Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
LargeSlowTarget

ORIGINAL: Yaab

A very interesting mod indeed. Any way to create the AI files for this? I renamed scen28 AI files to scen49 AI files, but got no Jap AI activity on turn 1.

The mod is based on DBB-C Scen 29. You may try DBB-A Scen 29 AI files, but the Babes website says it does not make sense to try an AI game with the c variant. But there have been claims by forumites that it does work. Maybe there is no activity because I have deleted most of the first-turn invasions originally designed to help the AI. I have never touched AI scripts, since I lack the knowledge and haven't played against the AI for years. Maybe some forumite with AI experience will chime in. Sorry.
LargeSlowTarget

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

I see you have water distillation ships. Well, in that case, you'll need to add a brewery ship.

Cheers,
CC

I was thinking about it! Did find info on the Agamemnon, but did not know she had a sister ship. Not completed before the end of the war so not included. Also hard to model - while raising morale they should also raise instead of lowering disruption >
LargeSlowTarget

I'll note errata for my mod here, things I noticed while testing or reading the forum :

ship 4314 AVD McFarland > should be part of TF 8418, not 8417

LCU slots 6034, 6035,06036 > parent unit should be 6032, not 6033

LCU 7396 > wrong TOE ID 2646, should be 2648

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

ORIGINAL: Yaab

The mod is based on DBB-C Scen 29. You may try DBB-A Scen 29 AI files, but the Babes website says it does not make sense to try an AI game with the c variant. But there have been claims by forumites that it does work. Maybe there is no activity because I have deleted most of the first-turn invasions originally designed to help the AI. I have never touched AI scripts, since I lack the knowledge and haven't played against the AI for years. Maybe some forumite with AI experience will chime in. Sorry.

Well, on turn two the AI kicked in. Wish you retained the first turn moves for the AI. Nonetheless, congrats on a very interesting mod!

BTW, am I seeing this right? Ki-51 is now a dive-bomber?

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”