Can I play this without any experience

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
balto

Can I play this without any experience

Post by balto »

I bought WITP-Admiral years ago and realized that unless you read the 1,000s of posts, you would never be able to play the game properly - so I shelved that a long long long time ago.

Is this like that? In other words, I never got into TOAW for the same reason as WITP. Can I buy this and understand it simply by reading the manual?

I think I know the answer to this question (a resounding "NO"), but I figured I would ask because I know I am missing out on great system. Just not interested in devoting my life to it.

Thanks
larryfulkerson

RE: Can I play this without any experience

Post by larryfulkerson »

Hey balto dude: There's a learning curve but not nearly as hard as WITP-AE and it's relatively intuitive. If you have opened and looked
around WITP-AE you should have NO problem learning TOAW because it's easier. That 1,000 posts you have to read in the
WITP-AE forum to get up to speed is accurate. I've been there. I still play WITP-AE time permitting. But my first love is TOAW
and I always come back to it. It's got the scenario editor that isn't frightfully hard, I learned it after all, and there's this new scenario:
Pacific at War v.3.62 that is a whole lot like WITP-AE but much easier. Much less to keep track of and 1,000 times less mouse clicks.
I reccomend it. Highly. I'm playtesting it with the scenario designer, Thomas Harvey and I'm learning a new way to wage war. In 3D no less.
I'm having a blast. And the release date for TOAW IV was OCT. 31. So it's probably not that long now, I'm guessing.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

If you read the manual and still can't play TOAW then you might as well go back to checkers. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
balto

Post by balto »

I think I must have misrepresented my first post. I was interested in how complete is the manual. The complexity is never a problem with me, the lack of a complete manual is the problem.

Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

If you read the manual and still can't play TOAW then you might as well go back to checkers. [;)]

Reading the manual and playing is easy.

Learning the subtleties takes years. A mediocre player will beat you if you don't know the subtleties.

I am a complete beginner so I know!

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Learning the subtleties takes years. A mediocre player will beat you if you don't know the subtleties.
What you need Joe 98 dude is a mentor. Someone who will take you under their wing and PBEM game with
you and explain what he's doing and why and let you sort of "watch over his shoulder". Either that or you
could watch the YouTube video's that Steve Sill ( an expert ) has been producing. Lots of movies for
beginners. The link to his videos is here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_SuQW ... JirRv2d5Ww

Check it out man.
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
scout1

Post by scout1 »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

What you need Joe 98 dude is a mentor. Someone who will take you under their wing and PBEM game with
you and explain what he's doing and why and let you sort of "watch over his shoulder". Either that or you
could watch the YouTube video's that Steve Sill ( an expert ) has been producing. Lots of movies for
beginners. The link to his videos is here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_SuQW ... JirRv2d5Ww

Check it out man.

A mentor is always the best way to go .....
fogger

Post by fogger »

TOAW is like making love. Great the first time and gets better every time there after. I have been playing TOAW since Vol 1 in 1999 (?) or there about. TOAW 4 will be the last wargame I purchase unless they bring out TOAW 5
Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

And after updates there are changes that make what you thought you knew obsolete. Right now I feel kinda bad for those GG WitE guys. [:D]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

And after updates there are changes that make what you thought you knew obsolete. Right now I feel kinda bad for those GG WitE guys.
I used to play WITE religiously about three years ago and as I recall there was a pretty active flame war going on as to what
constitutes the best first move. Arguments went back and forth and the ideas employed seemed to get more and more subtle
and occult. There was one player in particular that was the ringleader of the "liberal" school of thought. I don't remember his name
but he took on all his deriders as opponents and beat them. He beat me easily. So I'm guessing he was right after all.

But I grew bored of the same war over and over and switched back to TOAW. in about 2010 or so.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
And after updates there are changes that make what you thought you knew obsolete. Right now I feel kinda bad for those GG WitE guys.
I used to play WITE religiously about three years ago and as I recall there was a pretty active flame war going on as to what
constitutes the best first move. Arguments went back and forth and the ideas employed seemed to get more and more subtle
and occult. There was one player in particular that was the ringleader of the "liberal" school of thought. I don't remember his name
but he took on all his deriders as opponents and beat them. He beat me easily. So I'm guessing he was right after all.

But I grew bored of the same war over and over and switched back to TOAW. in about 2010 or so.

We missed you during that hiatus, Larry.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”