The Darkest Hour has come

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rosseau

The Darkest Hour has come

Post by Rosseau »

No, not the weather in Cleveland (I live there) but the HOI Mod. I have finally played this game out after many years. Scary thing is that some of Matrix's newer games (and WitP-AE) can never be played out [X(]
demyansk

RE: The Darkest Hour has come

Post by demyansk »

Hi r, I have the game installed as well. I should work through tutorials first.

The only thing I don't like is all the pop ups. What kind of settings make this game playable? Plus, I don't like to rush my style of play.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

You can disable pop ups
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

No, not the weather in Cleveland (I live there) but the HOI Mod. I have finally played this game out after many years. Scary thing is that some of Matrix's newer games (and WitP-AE) can never be played out [X(]

Sure they can but, you have to start them at age 1. [:'(]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Hi r, I have the game installed as well. I should work through tutorials first.

The only thing I don't like is all the pop ups. What kind of settings make this game playable? Plus, I don't like to rush my style of play.

Play on very slow and go into the options menu and play with the popups check boxes. It can take some time to set it up but eventually you won't get any but the ones you want to see. I did this with Crusader Kings II and it's so much more fun to play now. I couldn't stand all those popups either. I don't give a rat's patunia if my 3rd cousin's wife died. [:@]
altipueri

Post by altipueri »

I don't believe anybody has actually played WITP-AE; I bought it just to see if it was as big as rumour had it and realised it was just going to sit on the shelf gathering dust apart from being able to wave the manual at visitors who poo poo wargames as lightweight.

I'll never finish Pride of Nations either. Or, well, lots of them... but the maps are so nice to look at.

I probably could try setting up a whole bank of PCs running games in parallel and just rush around pressing enter.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I was that way back in my youth when we'd set up those big games like Drag net Austin (:) I never can spell that damn games name) But, I think it had over 5000 pieces or something like that. We'd spend the whole day setting the thing up and then take it down. Kinda stupid but as a wargamer you do stuff like that.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I was that way back in my youth when we'd set up those big games like Drag net Austin (:) I never can spell that damn games name) But, I think it had over 5000 pieces or something like that. We'd spend the whole day setting the thing up and then take it down. Kinda stupid but as a wargamer you do stuff like that.

Haha... you mean the original Europa title, DNO.

I set up SPI's "Wacht am Rhein" and played about six turns... now that was a SETUP! It really let you appreciate what the Germans were facing by trying to force that many divisions through a constricted road net.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6253/wacht-am-rhein

Still have all the counters carefully sorted out in a big parts cabinet.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

Return to “General Discussion”