OT Just For Grins, Part 2

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Canoerebel

OT Just For Grins, Part 2

Post by Canoerebel »

A month ago, crsutton authored a thread (tm.asp?m=3954554) that included a great photo of his WWII sailor dad posing with a young Hawaiian woman during the war.

I was reminded of cr's post during a visit to Miami last week. My stepmother gave me three boxes of momentos that had belonged to my father, who died in late 2013. These included many WWII photos, letters and items I had never before seen.

My dad served in the OSS in England and France during WWII. He was part of a radio interception/triangulation unit that tried to pinpoint enemy (troop and partisan) radio transmissions. The team would then call in another team that would either kill the enemy radio operator or try to flip them as a double agent. To my knowledge, my father wasn't involved in combat.

I'll post two photos that I came across, beginning with this one of my father and an unidentified young woman taken at "Bernard Bennett at Oxford Street" in London, probably in 1943 or 1944.

Attachments
Mack and Woman.jpg
Mack and Woman.jpg (128.95 KiB) Viewed 21 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Bullwinkle58

RE: OT Just For Grins, Part 2

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I've seen a ghost!
The Moose
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Here's my dad, probably taken in the USA around 1943 before deploying to England.

Notice the badge (right word?) on his chest. The bar below the bad reads "Pistol."

Attachments
MackA.Roper.jpg
MackA.Roper.jpg (83.98 KiB) Viewed 21 times
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

These two items were in one of the boxes. The first is the "badge" worn by my father in the preceeding photo. The second is a cartridge of some kind. I don't know its significance, unfortunately.

When I was a youngster growing up in Miami, my father had a box of WWII mementos in the utility shed. I recall there was a German soldier helmet. I don't know what became of it.

Attachments
BadgeBullett.jpg
BadgeBullett.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 21 times
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

A month ago, crsutton authored a thread (tm.asp?m=3954554) that included a great photo of his WWII sailor dad posing with a young Hawaiian woman during the war.

I was reminded of cr's post during a visit to Miami last week. My stepmother gave me three boxes of momentos that had belonged to my father, who died in late 2013. These included many WWII photos, letters and items I had never before seen.

My dad served in the OSS in England and France during WWII. He was part of a radio interception/triangulation unit that tried to pinpoint enemy (troop and partisan) radio transmissions. The team would then call in another team that would either kill the enemy radio operator or try to flip them as a double agent. To my knowledge, my father wasn't involved in combat.

I'll post two photos that I came across, beginning with this one of my father and an unidentified young woman taken at "Bernard Bennett at Oxford Street" in London, probably in 1943 or 1944.

There has to be an interesting back story to this one. You did not have a portrait made in those days with a young woman unless there was some sort of "understanding." Unless, of course, it was with a dressed up Hawaiian girl in front of a painted screen. I am thinking that this was a serious girlfriend at the least.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

These two items were in one of the boxes. The first is the "badge" worn by my father in the preceeding photo. The second is a cartridge of some kind. I don't know its significance, unfortunately.

When I was a youngster growing up in Miami, my father had a box of WWII mementos in the utility shed. I recall there was a German soldier helmet. I don't know what became of it.

Looks like a 30.06 cartridge...what does the had stamp say?
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The stamping on the base of the cartridge has "D M" on the top and "4 2" on the bottom.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

It is probably a 30-.06 made in Des Moines Ordnance Plant in 1942.
rogueusmc

Post by rogueusmc »

And all the munitions from that plant utilized corrosive primers. Put it in a bubble envelope. Nice find!
There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”