New X-Mas Reading Book?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

John 3rd

New X-Mas Reading Book?

Post by John 3rd »

We almost always have a Book Thread start about this time of year so I shall kick it off. Does anyone have a good Military History recommendation for something just out or due out before the holiday?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
warspite1

RE: New X-Mas Reading Book?

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

We almost always have a Book Thread start about this time of year so I shall kick it off. Does anyone have a good Military History recommendation for something just out or due out before the holiday?
warspite1

Torch: North Africa and the Allied Path to Victory

Just read this. I gave this 4-stars. Like all O'Hara's books, it is a good read, and covers (largely) naval engagements that perhaps don't get the attention that others do. There is a decent OOB at the back too.

This is one of those books where I am reading despite the author and not because of. I do not agree with O'Hara's views on many aspects of the Mediterranean War - and this book is no exception.

Nonetheless it is a good book - especially for someone like me who, until now, has concentrated more on the political side of the Campaign, than on the fighting itself.

This is a one stop volume on the background to the landings, the landings themselves, the limited naval engagements that took place and the political toing and froing.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
metsfan72575

Post by metsfan72575 »

Ian Toll's Conquering Tide
oaltinyay

Post by oaltinyay »

ORIGINAL: metsfan72575

Ian Toll's Conquering Tide

+1
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

What is Conquering Tide?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

atheory

Post by atheory »

If you're looking for a biography type book. I recommend

Patton: A Genius for War, by Carlo D'este

Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

These days I buy my own Xmas pressies( just easier that way[;)]. Really looking forward to

The Silent Deep by Jinks and Hennessy, RN post war submarine ops
The British Battleship by Friedman
Japanese Battleships 1897 - 1945 by RA Burt (to add to his fabulous trilogy on British battleships
Nelson to Vanguard by DK Brown

And best of all finally scored a copy of 'Yarns of a Kentucky Admiral' the memoirs of Hugh Rodman onetime commander of 6th battle squadron grand fleet!
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

http://www.davidtdixon.com/the-lost-gettysburg-address/

I recommend most highly David T. Dixon's "The Lost Gettysburg Address." The book is fresh off the press (published this month) and is an exceptionally interesting true story.

The book is about Charles Anderson, who presented the "third Gettysburg Address" following those of Lincoln and Everett. Anderson's address was pretty much lost to history until a transcript was found about ten years ago in a trunk of belongings at a remote ranch in Wyoming. Anderson's address was given a the Gettysburg Presbyterian Church on the evening following the addresses by Lincoln and Everett.

But the most fascinating part of this book is the story of Anderson. He was born in the South, was a slave owner, but he stayed with the Union during the war. He was imprisoned in Texas at war's start, escaped through Mexico, returned to the north, served as colonel commanding on Ohio regiment, wounded twice during the Battle of Stones River, elected lieutenant governor of Ohio, and then selected to make the momentous address at Gettysburg. (Nearly all of you know of Anderson's brother, Major Robert Anderson, who surrendered Fort Sumter at the start of the war.)

I know the author well, having worked with him for about six years on various projects. I think most highly of him. He's the most gifted historian/writer I've worked with. I think he's on a par with Stephen Ambrose as far as his combined ability as writer and historian (good writers are rare, good historians are fairly common, but the two abilities only rarely combine).

If you order the book through the author's website, Dave says he'll be glad to personally sign the book and include a "sentiment" if you so desire. Just mention my name (Dan Roper, not Canoerebel).

I hope you'll enjoy!
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

+2
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Found "The Admirals" in my favorite beach book shop in Buxton NC. I was not disappointed. Cream does rise to the top.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Admirals-Nimi ... B007ME5GYC
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Trugrit

Post by Trugrit »

"A man's got to know his limitations" -Dirty Harry
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Jellicoe

These days I buy my own Xmas pressies( just easier that way[;)]. Really looking forward to

The British Battleship by Friedman
Japanese Battleships 1897 - 1945 by RA Burt (to add to his fabulous trilogy on British battleships
Nelson to Vanguard by DK Brown
warspite1

The feedback I've seen is that if you have the Burt books, you probably don't need Friedman - and visa-versa.

Japanese Battleships by Burt was something I was really looked forward to (expecting a similar quality offering to his British Battleships tomes). However, it has not got great reviews.

Nelson to Vanguard? One word.... Quality [&o] You will enjoy this book [:)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Just finished "Pacific Crucible" but I'm not willing to pay the pirate's full ransom for the hardback cover version of the next volume of the trilogy. I'll wait for the paperback. I would like to read something one of my friends has (in paperback) which is an account of someone on Napoleon's staff of what he witnessed. I don't think that'll last long, so I need a backup ready in hand. There's a lot of things I've already been and done that, but something good on cryptanalysis might interest me. Also, anything about Fred the Great or his opponents may suffice. I'm through (for now) with the American Civil War and need something else. Something on the development of heavy artillery covering early 19th Century to WWII might do. Another subject would be (as difficult as it might be to read) anything about the slave trade from the beginning (to the New World) to the Civil War. Something about Gustavus Adolphus could be fun. Something about the development of carbines and semi-automatic small arms might fill the bill. Oh and Peter the Great, Catherine the Great or Empress Marie-Louise of Austria; anything covering that might do.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”