In my opinion THE book to buy..

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

wodin

In my opinion THE book to buy..

Post by wodin »

To complement this wargame and give you some amazing insight into the battle, and not only that, be a gripping read and not dry at all is Barbarossa Unleashed by C Luther. Honestly I can't recommend it enough and I feel it really does help me with regards to the game and understanding exactly what's going on in those little hexes to the poor pixeltruppen. It also comes with several separate fold out maps that track the battle\ Operation. So not only a superb read but great value for money aswell.

Barbarossa Unleashed by C Luther.

The book does concentrate on Army group Centre but the overall situation is well explained and the whole book is a superb narrative.
freeboy

RE: In my opinion THE book to buy..

Post by freeboy »

link to it on sale some where
/???
"Tanks forward"
wodin

Post by wodin »

No sale but you can get it for around £35 which for what you get is great value for money. Or in the States for around $30, which is well, well worth it!

Just check the reviews.

LINK

USA Link
Remmes

Post by Remmes »

Looks like a nice book, will be on my to-pick up list. Thanks for the tip.

War without garlands from Robert Kershaw and the David Stahel trilogy on this subject are good reads as well.
Rainsong94

Post by Rainsong94 »

There is a nice little interview (two 10-min segments) with Mr. Luther regarding his Barbarossa Unleashed book here...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjxDVOG_mI
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

I much enjoyed Ostkrieg by Fritz. Great overview of everything, including the personality conflicts this game models
wodin

Post by wodin »

Ramses yes I have War without Garlands. I enjoyed it. I much preferred it over his Arnhem book which I just couldn't get into for some reason.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks for the tip. Some of these books look great, but may be more than half what the actual game will cost, so think I will wait. [;)]
cato12

Post by cato12 »

Any audio book recommendations?
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Any book by author David Stahel
http://www.amazon.com/Operation-Barbaro ... 052117015X

This author is the best. His books read real well and you will find top notch research. Great stuff, just google his name
wodin

Post by wodin »

Honestly they are just as entertaining in their own right. My book collection is far more dear to me than my game collection.

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Thanks for the tip. Some of these books look great, but may be more than half what the actual game will cost, so think I will wait. [;)]
kfmiller41

Post by kfmiller41 »

Thats the truth Wodin, my book collection is much more extensive than my gaming one, and much more expensive[:D]
You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.
Gargoyl

Post by Gargoyl »

For me, it's a vicious cycle of books and games. A new book or two garners interest in a new game, which, in turn spikes my interest in another book or two. Already this thread has got me looking at yet fresh perspectives on Barbarossa, which makes me that much more interested in buying the game. I'm wondering now if beer-and-pretzel games have that same reciprocal effect ;)
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

library book for myself I am afraid .. my days of large hard bound books is quite over
"Tanks forward"
wodin

Post by wodin »

Though I rarely read a book more than once I do enjoy looking at my book collection and remembering the stories within esp memoirs which I find are in away a form of immortality for the writer and though it sounds silly the presence of them on my bookshelves is a place their memories and the people mentioned with in are not forgotten. Silly I can't explain it to be honest and it sounds abit bonkers. Within all those covers hold a small part of their essence because they are still alive within those pages.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Though I rarely read a book more than once I do enjoy looking at my book collection and remembering the stories within esp memoirs which I find are in away a form of immortality for the writer and though it sounds silly the presence of them on my bookshelves is a place their memories and the people mentioned with in are not forgotten. Silly I can't explain it to be honest and it sounds abit bonkers. Within all those covers hold a small part of their essence because they are still alive within those pages.
warspite1

Not bonkers at all. I would not be without my book collection. After much internal debate(!) I gave in and stopped buying hard copy CD's some years ago in favour of itunes downloads. But books? Nah... you can keep your Kindles and whatever.

I love the smell, feel and look of a proper book. Sadly like you, I very rarely read a book more than once (due to time being so precious - and there being soooo many books out there that need reading) but I need to have the books around me just in case I do want to re-visit individual quotes or passages (normally for reference purposes) from time to time.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

I sadly moved from hard bound books to Kindle based books a few years ago. I love being able to carry with my in my pocket ALL of Shelby Foote's Trilogy, Freeman's Lee's Lieutenants, and about 120 other books. BUT, like you I love the feel and scent of paper. Even more sadly, I pulled down Harsh's Taken At The Flood about Confederate strategy at Antietam from the shelf and could hardly read it due to size, weight and tiny print. Sigh.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Unfortunately I don't have any more free space on my book shelves... books are already in second row.
This dictated the end of printed books for me. So I was forced to move to Kindle.
I'm on the second Kindle and I do see many advantages. The only thing I really miss is the smell of printed paper.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

Kindle is great, and I read almost all of my fiction on mine. For non-fiction, I still prefer dead trees, largely because flipping through a book, looking at maps and illustrations, and the fact I rarely read non-fiction at the gym (unlike my cheesy sci-fi/fantasy books on Kindle). I have some military history on the Kindle, but it's harder for me to read that type of thing there than anything else.

But yeah, no space on the shelves, and my wife already thinks that my book collection is ridiculous....
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned David Glanz.
Jim Cobb

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”