Some thoughts on 2.0.10

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

pzgndr

Some thoughts on 2.0.10

Post by pzgndr »

I've restarted the EET scenario several times now. I have previously won this scenario and felt comfortable with it. But some things in this latest version still do not feel right, and it may be that we just have to wait for Southern Storm and unit SOPs.

I lost two scout helos that retreated north from Kleinseelheim and took fire from Kirchhain. They didn't react. One subsequently got shot down, and the other still did not react. It got shot down too. I find it difficult to accept that Soviet ADA is that good and/or the US pilots are that bad.

I had the tank platoon screening south of Kleinseelheim in the highlighted hex, within command range of the HQ. It still took 36 minutes from 0829 to 0905 for it to start a hast move from one screen position to another. Yes posture changes should take some time, moreso for getting out of a hold position and getting into a hold position, but screening operations have got to be more flexible than they are.

The other thing I've been seeing are my mech platoons behing GroBseelheim, out of LOS, taking artillery fire and taking losses. In a previous run I lost 3 tracks in the platoon to the north, and this time I took one loss in the south and the platoon retreated. I can understand HQ and artillery units out of LOS taking fire, but I question this new feature.

If there will be a minor 2.0.11 update at some point before Southern Storm, my #1 gripe would be to reduce the posture change delays related to screening operations; this inability to have units shoot and scoot in this game is frustrating to no end. My #2 gripe would be to have helos react faster than they do under fire and get out of the way. And if something different did happen with artillery targeting of sub-units not in LOS, then that could be reconsidered.

OK, as usual, I need to adjust my game tactics to deal with the updated game mechanics. But I'd much rather have more flexibility to exercise real-world tactics, which hopefully the unit SOPs will better allow. Alright, hope this helps and I'll keep an eye out for MR's rebalanced scenarios update as I continue to poke at this latest version.

Attachments
EET.jpg
EET.jpg (197.88 KiB) Viewed 27 times
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
CapnDarwin

RE: Some thoughts on 2.0.10

Post by CapnDarwin »

Pzgndr,

1. I'll review the helo scoots under fire code to see if something change. I'm not aware of any touches to that code for 2.0.10. If the helo can't see who is shooting at it, the helo should be scooting away.
2. Timing, screening, and delay issues are known and the best we can do is change the mechanics in Southern Storm to allow both the player and AI set and use orders and sop function. Right now there are more combinations of events than the logic can cover well for and in some cases the AI makes great reactions and in others its not so hot. That whole orders/sop mechanics is under extensive discussion now with the team.
3. There is no new change to arty other than a fix to get off map units properly applying damage to targets. The screen shot shows that unit as spotted. I'm not sure anything is off the rails here and we all get to enjoy/hate functional off map fire.

We are working on a hot fix to deal with the crash bugs and I'm sure some discussions on other items like those you bring up will happen in our Dev call Monday night. We'll see what happens.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin
We are working on a hot fix to deal with the crash bugs and I'm sure some discussions on other items like those you bring up will happen in our Dev call Monday night. We'll see what happens.

If you guys can tweak something for the better, that's always a plus. I just wanted to provide some feedback for consideration. Thanks!
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Always happy to hear feedback. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”