Guadalcanal Scenario - Noob

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

101Man

Guadalcanal Scenario - Noob

Post by 101Man »

Hello. I bought this game in August and after reading the manual I decided two weeks ago to start playing the shorter scenarios (Coral Sea, Alutians). Now I am into the Guadalcanal scenario and for the most part the game is interesting.

My question is "why cannot I load ANY ground troops on AP ships anywhere? This includes Aussie units as well as American. Obviously the initial Marine landings at Lunga and Tulagi went mechanically without a hitch. I wanted to beef up the units at Port Moresby like it was done historically but cannot load a unit. For instance when I press 'load troops' at Espiritu Santo, out of all those units there only one Base Engineer unit is available for transport. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
LargeSlowTarget

RE: Guadalcanal Scenario - Noob

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Most units belong to restricted commands (look for the "R" in the HQ name) and need to be bought out by changing their HQ to an unrestricted command. This requires spending of precious political points.
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

Don't forget the operational mode of the units : to load ground units on a transport TF, they have to be in Strategic OpMode. In Amphibious TF, in Combat OpMode.
101Man

Post by 101Man »

Ah ha! You both have the answer. Thanks. But where do you see those restrictions in the manual? I cannot find them.

Thanks.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

P. 178f
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

As LargeSlowTarget says - From "WITP AE-Manual.pdf" (p.178-179)
HQ’s can be categorized as restricted, temporarily restricted, static restricted and unrestricted (i.e., normal). The effects of each category are as follows:
»» Restricted – units may not move by air or sea unless the HQ is changed. Even when HQ’s are changed subordinate units need to be individually acquired via PP’s.
»» Temporarily Restricted – units may not move by air or sea unless the HQ is changed. When the HQ’s are changed subordinate units change to the classification of the parent.
»» Static Restricted - HQ’s (and on some occasions units) are restricted and may never have their HQ changed – they remain and always shall be permanently restricted.
»» Unrestricted – None of the above restrictions apply.
101Man

Post by 101Man »

Thanks again...I have a new post regarding ship repairs during scenarios.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”