Rodina Struggle (Morvael vs Cpt Flam)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Peltonx

RE: Rodina Struggle (Morvael vs Cpt Flam)

Post by Peltonx »

ORIGINAL: Mehring

2) What in the heck is cpt flam doing in AGC ??? No delaying force in front of Smolensk, limited d-line on the Dnper north of Smolensk, and a scattered defense network west of Moscow.

It looks quite a well considered checker board to me. Units are well placed to sap Axis MP, and I'm sure he'll have something more substantial preparing behind.

3) What in the world is Morvael doing with 9 (count them) Pz/Mot units at Odessa ??? It's a fine Black Sea resort, but in terms of a German AGS strategic landmark, pretty much in left field (a baseball idiom for us Yanks.)

I'd say the attraction of such a sharp drive to the south is the potential to disrupt a great length of the Russian line, deal with Odessa early but stay close to cheesy supply source in Romania so an abrupt, fully fuelled turn east or north-east is possible.

Hes to far south. He should be over river by turn 4 or 5, but his game.
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

Turn 6 24-7-41
Finns isolate 2 Rifle div in the north
Mud strike in North russia and South (forecasted)
contact made at Pskov
Again 4 HI and 3 Arm in Leningrad

Attachments
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.1.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 119 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

In the center
Smolensk falled
Panzer corps don't press toward Moscow
thanks to the mud

Attachments
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 119 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

South Vinnitsa & Odessa are holding
All Tank and Motorized units must reach the west by their owns possibility
even some infantry must make it
rail capacity must be optimised

Attachments
screenshot.3.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 119 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

Turn 7 31 july 1941
in the north, Leningrad is railcut (4ARM + 3HI locked)
game of mouse & cats begin
LVI Panzerkorp is cut to feed our troops

Attachments
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.1.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 120 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

Pskov falled after some fight
2 panzer korps coming from the center
16 motorised division has been cut

Attachments
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 119 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

[&:]
more panzer going south
do they want Bryansk
losse's are 100 for 1 200 kilo (830 000 captured)

Attachments
screenshot.3.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 120 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

in the south a Tank division defend Vinnitsa
Odessa has been stormed
my nightmare will begin soon with all mud possibility gone
Slovakian unit is southern

Attachments
screenshot.4.jpg
screenshot.4.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 119 times
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Looks like hes making decent progress in the north and center but is far, far behind in the south. So far behind in the south that you should probably just shift southern forces to the north and retreat in front of him as none of that space matters by now if you have been pulling industry.
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

T8 August 7, 41
I have problem to clear factories
this time 8 Army has been relived
LVI PzKorps is "isolated"

Attachments
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.1.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 120 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

in the center Orel MD become Bryansk Front
a rifle div from Third Army is isolated
bad guys arrives at the gates of Gomel

Attachments
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 119 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

really special in the south
many miles between them and Kiev
but a lot of factories locked in cities by panzer rush
Nikolaev 1Arm 1 HI
Dnepro 16 " 5 "
Zapo 4 " 4 "
it will become harder later
bad news will continue[:(]

Attachments
screenshot.3.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 119 times
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

Looks like bad news for the Soviets at leningrad- I predict that entire Soviet army encircled permanently next turn and leningrad actually Isolated.
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

T9 or august14 ,1941
in the north as Chaos tell it 8 Army is trapped
supply come by boats in Leningrad

Attachments
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.1.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 119 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

in the center
Kalinin commander from the 24 Army (Reserve Front) become General Polkovnik
Panzers continue their advance
no possibility yet to counter them
so giving ground [:@]

Attachments
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 119 times
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

south
4 divisions are trapped
losses actually are 140 K for 1 350 K
about 90 divisions destroyed

Attachments
screenshot.3.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 119 times
morvael

Post by morvael »

ORIGINAL: Callistrid
Wow... the germAn southern open was completly interesting... and weak. Was a house rule, to not cross the Zbrunic river?

No, it's just that I'm newbie German player, and I always have trouble with opening in the south, with half of von Kleist's divisions frozen on turn 1. So I just focus on encircling those troops around Lvov, and even this usually fails (pocket is reopened and I have to seal it again).
ORIGINAL: sillyflower
The miracle is not that Morvael plays well, but that he has time to play at all.

I promised we will do a rematch when we started the first game in 2011, and I try to hold to my promises. cpt flam was very patient, I delayed this by 6 months, to finish 1.08.05. But I don't think I play well. It takes time to switch from Soviet mindset to German one (and I must say Soviet way is more natural to me, I like unstopabble juggernauts, where I can have every side covered before I advance - that's why I'm bad at RTSes, too much focus on base and security instead of daring raids to grab resources). And I didn't have enough time to spot cpt flam started an AAR on the forum until today!
ORIGINAL: loki100
about Odessa, why not do a proper stay behind force of 3 divisions? Its pretty safe (if they rout they arrive in the Crimea) and seems to really throw some axis players as they either have to divert German infantry down there or let it sit behind their lines tieing down Romanian formations.

Yeah, I was expecting Odessa to be real thorn in my side, delaying me for many turns (with that external ring of level 3 forts), especially with AGS' lone FBD heading that way from Rumania.
ORIGINAL: HITMAN202
Three strange developments in this AAR.

1) Morvael's push north of Lake Peipus and lack of it toward Pskov - post soviet turn 5. ??? Possibility of a AGN HQBP and isolation of the screening units south of the Luga ??? Very different. cpt flame should have massed those units behind the Luga.

2) What in the heck is cpt flam doing in AGC ??? No delaying force in front of Smolensk, limited d-line on the Dnper north of Smolensk, and a scattered defense network west of Moscow. Counting Pz and Mot units in AGN and AGS, Morvael must have a ton hiding in AGC. I think fireworks may soon erupt to flam's dismay.

3) What in the world is Morvael doing with 9 (count them) Pz/Mot units at Odessa ??? It's a fine Black Sea resort, but in terms of a German AGS strategic landmark, pretty much in left field (a baseball idiom for us Yanks.)
ORIGINAL: STEF78
+1, same questions for me....

1) Haven't used a single HQBU in this game (for now - turn 18). All APs went to optimize command structure, replace bad leaders, redistribute support units and build forts (to help garrisons). Instead AGN got heaviest support from Ju-52s transporting fuel (AGC got none, but at times could share some with AGN). My push north via Estonia was forced by early mud around Pskov, and as I didn't want to waste a full turn waiting for it to clear, so I went for the approach through Narva. I never considered doing right hook through Valdai, because of logistics trouble that would no doubt arise in the process. So it was either Pskov-Novgorod (but I don't like the swamps you have to cross north of Luga) or through Narva (the narrow corridor with two rivers is very hard to cross, but then you have very good terrain to head east and isolate Leningrad, bar some rough terrain).

2) I liked that it was easy to reach Smolensk and cross Dniepr, was expecting heavy fight around the land bridge. I couldn't push further east because of mud and logistics (FBD wasn't even in Minsk yet if I remember correctly), so I decided to go along the front, and thus keep the same distance to railhead. Guderian was really hampered, with 20-30 MPs per turn and no air refuel. Further east it would be even worse than that.

3) Guess what, mud pushed me south instead of east, but I really wanted to clear Odessa as fast as possible, hence Panzer help.
ORIGINAL: Mehring
It looks quite a well considered checker board to me. Units are well placed to sap Axis MP, and I'm sure he'll have something more substantial preparing behind.

I'd say the attraction of such a sharp drive to the south is the potential to disrupt a great length of the Russian line, deal with Odessa early but stay close to cheesy supply source in Romania so an abrupt, fully fuelled turn east or north-east is possible.

I really didn't want to struggle with multiple lines of good troops in level 2 forts that awaited me in northern Ukraine. So I left them to be followed by infantry (who got no FBD behind them, so mobile troops there would really be hampered, infantry less so). Southern path was my chosen strategy from the start.
ORIGINAL: Pelton
Hes to far south. He should be over river by turn 4 or 5, but his game.

Yeah, that's what happens when a newbie plays the game. You all played way more than me (1 vsAI as German, 1 PBEM as Soviet and now 2nd PBEM as German), I just spent a lot of time tinkering with the engine, so I may have some experience with the rules/mechanical part but no gut feeling to base on.
ORIGINAL: chaos45
Looks like hes making decent progress in the north and center but is far, far behind in the south. So far behind in the south that you should probably just shift southern forces to the north and retreat in front of him as none of that space matters by now if you have been pulling industry.

North and center had priority from the start, they got most of the early reinforcements, 3/4 FBDs, 6/8 (or 5/7) transports and were first to be reorganized. Many good Soviet units remaining in the south was acceptable for me. I understand they were staying there, because railway capacity was scarce and dedicated to bringing new troops to the front and for factory evacuation. But I must say I really enjoyed the fighting withdrawal offered by cpt flam, instead of the common "run to the hills" strategy preffered by many players. I really enjoyed there were some battles to fight and the constant isolation-counter isolation moves. I had trouble (read: not enough troops) to cover my encirclements fully, so I accepted at times that they will be reopened and even some of my units encircled for a while, because this kept the situation fluid. Leningrad was a prime example of such dance, it took three turns (or four) to fully seal the encirclement and block the city, with both sides having some encircled troops at start of their turns.
ORIGINAL: chaos45
Looks like bad news for the Soviets at leningrad- I predict that entire Soviet army encircled permanently next turn and leningrad actually Isolated.

Finally, in second half of the summer, bad things started to happen for the Soviets. If not for them, my early drive could be seen as a disaster.
chaos45

Post by chaos45 »

I think once random weather is fixed to not trigger mud automatically early in the summer the early Soviet defense is going to be tough. As rail is much more limited now for the Soviet side early on.

So harder to re-locate defenses to the panzer pushes, esp while evacuating factories if the German player is doing a good job pushing in all 3 sectors.
morvael

Post by morvael »

But it's a great comfort to know there will be no mud, you can be bolder than you'd normally be if mud could still happen. So Axis will have to be more careful from August on (at a time when their supply is already stretched), while they can be bolder in July. But early on there are not so many great factory cities in reach.
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

Turn 10 or August 21, 1941
in the north, pocket has been anihilated
they continue to push a bit

Attachments
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.1.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 119 times

Return to “After Action Reports”