Finally taken the plunge...

From the first clash at Manassas to the epic confrontation between Lee and Grant, the Brother Against Brother series will bring new levels of historical detail and realism to the battles of the Civil War. This regimental-level game, created by the developers of the award-winning Forge of Freedom, builds on that game’s acclaimed tactical engine, adding scrupulously researched orders of battle, high-quality map graphics, command and control rules reflecting the numerous challenges faced by army commanders, and plenty other features. Beginning with The Drawing of The Sword – which recreates the pivotal opening battles at Manassas , Wilson ’s Creek, Mill Springs and Williamsburg – Brother Against Brother lets you refight the Civil War from start to finish.

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

Recognition

Finally taken the plunge...

Post by Recognition »

Hi Everybody,

Ive been sitting on the fence along time regarding BaB, initially put off by the price for so few scenario`s.
I watched most of the youtube gameplay reviews ( Eric Rutens always has a knack of pushing me towards the buy button lol ) and enjoyed thehistoricalgamer and sugarfreegamer`s take on the game.

What made me decide to purchase BaB was the 'attention to detail' that Gil.R and Ericbabe have put into the design of the game, I really like to dig deep into the small details ie Regiment / battery status and losses, Commanders names, condition supply etc... I also like what to me is the slower pace of a hex game where I have time to think and plot my strategies.

But what really did it for me, apart from BaB looking very nice, was that we have smaller scenarios here, where one gets the feeling of being part of "your" division / brigade/ regiment/ battalion/ battery......yes I still cringe when I see I have taken any casualties.....

So the package being with smaller scenarios was the main reason for me to purchase BaB. I'm very active with John Tillers campaigns ( France 1914 ) which being operational is a long and hard, rewarding slog which can take months to complete with often well over 200 plus turns, very well designed and implemented....but you need the desire and staying power to complete, which imho most gamers, apart from the very few historical fanatics such as myself generally dont have. So in my mind as a wargamer and historian for well over 40 years the hard choices are between historical, requiring dedication and great interest as a player, and the time or the click feast of instant gratification with most of the beer and pretzel offerings.

So BaB offered with the smaller scenarios and attention to detail appears to give me the commander of a division / brigade / regiment the hands on detail that I so crave...looking forward to my first engagement(s)

PS I`ll load the latest patch 1.0.6 and "less is more" graphics mod ? Any other downloads of interest?

Cheers.

https://twitter.com/WW1IEPER1917 INTEL i9-9900K @3600Ghz 3.60 GHz 48GB RAM
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Yogi the Great

RE: Finally taken the plunge...

Post by Yogi the Great »

Good Choice to buy Rush!

This game system is much more innovative and special than most people realize.
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

welcome aboard, glad you bought it and now hope you enjoy it
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Recognition

Post by Recognition »

Thanks Gents, I'm sure I will enjoy the system and obviously the subject ACW

As mentioned in another thread I added to....Not sure which difficulty setting to use. I'm an experienced wargamer and jumped in at captain, but read that Second or First Lieutenant would be the most historical.

What settings do you use against the AI?

Cheers.
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

I usually play at colonel.

I'd suggest you start at Sergeant for a game or two. Then go to LT etc. You won't notice much difference if you go up just one level so skip a few as you go up. You can always go back down whenever you want.
Recognition

Post by Recognition »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I usually play at colonel.

I'd suggest you start at Sergeant for a game or two. Then go to LT etc. You won't notice much difference if you go up just one level so skip a few as you go up. You can always go back down whenever you want.

I've been trying it out on the Williamsburg small scenario as the Union ( usually I only play Johnny Reb [:)] ) and I'm having great fun with this game system so far....I've worked up to what for me feels comfortable with Lieutenant Colonel difficulty.

This is the only game where I actually play the music ...and enjoy it. I like the rain sound too [;)]

Cheers
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Rush,
Thanks for your posts. I definitely hope that you continue to enjoy this game, plus any other BAB's that might come along.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Rush,
Thanks for your posts. I definitely hope that you continue to enjoy this game, plus any other BAB's that might come along.

I'm sure you meant that WILL come along.
Gil R.

Post by Gil R. »

Yes. That was just me being informal, or something.
Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.
Recognition

Post by Recognition »

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

Rush,

I'm definitely enjoying BaB, this game has a soul that sucks you into its command decision making.

Cheers
GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

jack54

Post by jack54 »

ORIGINAL: Rush

I'm definitely enjoying BaB, this game has a soul that sucks you into its command decision making.

Cheers

+1

I can't agree more. Many superb design decisions make this extremely unique. My only complaint is that I really can't play in sprite mode; I can't see them well enough. The nato counters are fine,

(I held off buying this because of issues I had with another WC program and that seems kind of stupid now)
Avatar: Me borrowing Albert Ball's Nieuport 17

Counter from Bloody April by Terry Simo (GMT)

Return to “Brother against Brother: The Drawing of the Sword”