OT: Good age of musket "battlefield" games?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Jorge_Stanbury

OT: Good age of musket "battlefield" games?

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

I am looking for recommendations on a game that can provide a good battle command experience, on the age of muskets: anywhere between 1700s to Napoleon.

Ideally, I would like something with the details and logistics of an AGEOD games but with more control on the battlefield. More tactical, where I can order troops movements, release reserves, etc. but not to the level of a "Total war" game... like something in between these two

Also, I would like a campaign, not a reenactment of historical battles

As far as I know, that game doesn't exist... Am I right? is there any game close to that ideal?
atheory

RE: OT: Good age of musket "battlefield" games?

Post by atheory »

That's a tough one, for today you're asking for two games in one. Maybe "Forge of Freedom" but if I recall the tactical AI wasn't the greatest, and that's generally why those style games seem to fail IMHO. It's just hard to script a good AI which obviously can't adapt adequately to a player.

And the ones you do find that have both strategy and tactical tend to omit logistics altogether for simplicity of coding. I don't know for sure, just my thinking.

hmmmm, I shall dig into my bag of thoughts and see if can find some better options.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

This computer game by John Tiller was not bad. Very few good games on the topic. But may be too early in time for you. http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Muske ... sance.html
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Time was only directional, I wonder if this can play in a modern computer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”