Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta & UI Suggestions

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta & UI Suggestions

Post by witpqs »

I don't think you got lost either. I think you're on track. I guess I'm asking why that's the intent - because only 1 ship can use the ARD, so if you have multiple eligible ships in the port then none of them will use the ARD unless you change priority settings. This creates problems in the following situation, which I'd like to imagine isn't uncommon for a major forward base:

Ship 1 - has 12 Sys, 5 (5) Floatation damage. At a level 7+, this will repair fully at pier side... however, it's a minor ship and you don't need it so you leave the priority at Normal or even set it to Low.

Ship 2 - has 25 Sys and maybe some other minor damage that can be fixed at the pier. This is a major ship and needs to be back in action ASAP, so you set it to High or Critical priority on Pier Side.

Ship 3 - similar to ship 2, maybe 10 System and also has 2 (2) Floatation damage. You need it back in action just as much as ship 2, within days if possible, so you set to Critical.

Ship 4 - has 0 Sys, 10 (10) Floatation damage. This will require the ARD to repair. Maybe it's a CL - something really useful, and you want it repaired, but you don't need it before ships 2 and 3. However, you have to set it at a higher repair priority in order for it to get to use the ARD in front of ships 2 and 3 (if they have floatation damage). Even if you have it set to Repair Ship.

Does that make sense to anyone else? I am admittedly loathe to use Critical priority except in special cases.

You are confusing the stuffing out of me. Why do you think "then none of them will use the ARD"? What gives you that idea?
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: witpqs
I don't think you got lost either. I think you're on track. I guess I'm asking why that's the intent - because only 1 ship can use the ARD, so if you have multiple eligible ships in the port then none of them will use the ARD unless you change priority settings. This creates problems in the following situation, which I'd like to imagine isn't uncommon for a major forward base:

Ship 1 - has 12 Sys, 5 (5) Floatation damage. At a level 7+, this will repair fully at pier side... however, it's a minor ship and you don't need it so you leave the priority at Normal or even set it to Low.

Ship 2 - has 25 Sys and maybe some other minor damage that can be fixed at the pier. This is a major ship and needs to be back in action ASAP, so you set it to High or Critical priority on Pier Side.

Ship 3 - similar to ship 2, maybe 10 System and also has 2 (2) Floatation damage. You need it back in action just as much as ship 2, within days if possible, so you set to Critical.

Ship 4 - has 0 Sys, 10 (10) Floatation damage. This will require the ARD to repair. Maybe it's a CL - something really useful, and you want it repaired, but you don't need it before ships 2 and 3. However, you have to set it at a higher repair priority in order for it to get to use the ARD in front of ships 2 and 3 (if they have floatation damage). Even if you have it set to Repair Ship.

Does that make sense to anyone else? I am admittedly loathe to use Critical priority except in special cases.

You are confusing the stuffing out of me. Why do you think "then none of them will use the ARD"? What gives you that idea?

Because an ARD can only repair 1 ship at a time, and I've been watching my ports - if I don't use the priority to assign, even when in Repair Ship mode, none of the major floatation gets fixed, ever. Latest example: I had an LCI with 9 Floatation damage in a port, set to Repair Ship and High priority. However, I also had some (redacted) naval vessels there repairing at Pier Side and set their priority to High - the LCI was the only ship set to Repair Ship, which should have made it use the ARD, but it wasn't making any progress over several turns.

Honestly, simply making ARDs look at ships that are in Repair Ship mode first would solve the problem, I think. Because it's looking at all the ships in the point (started with highest priority), if there are several on the highest priorities, it will be trying to repair more than 1 ship and therefore repair none.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

OK, so you saying that based on what you see, it looks like the part about not needing to assign to Repair Ship (for ARD to be used) is no longer working. Now I understand.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

OK, so you saying that based on what you see, it looks like the part about not needing to assign to Repair Ship (for ARD to be used) is no longer working. Now I understand.

I honestly don't know if that bit is working or not. What I do know is that assigning to Repair Ship doesn't always make the ARD repair that ship, even if you only have that 1 ship assigned to Repair Ship and even if the ARD is the only Repair Ship option at the port.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I honestly don't know if that bit is working or not. What I do know is that assigning to Repair Ship doesn't always make the ARD repair that ship, even if you only have that 1 ship assigned to Repair Ship and even if the ARD is the only Repair Ship option at the port.
Are you looking at the percentage accumulated towards the next point of damage repair? You have to go to the "Manage Repairs" screen (forget exact wording) and select the ship in question. in that cluster of information in the upper right 1/4 of the screen there will be a percentage number showing how far along towards repairing the next point of damage. Some ships take more than one turn at many shipyards to fix a single point of damage.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Are you looking at the percentage accumulated towards the next point of damage repair? You have to go to the "Manage Repairs" screen (forget exact wording) and select the ship in question. in that cluster of information in the upper right 1/4 of the screen there will be a percentage number showing how far along towards repairing the next point of damage. Some ships take more than one turn at many shipyards to fix a single point of damage.

Yep, I always check the repair points. It's critical to how I manage my ship repairs.

I was looking at that LCI for several days in a row. No change in the repair points accumulated, and all damage on the other ships at the same priority level could be fixed by the port (as it was just System, less than 5 major flooding and less than 5 major engine, and size 7+ port also with plenty of naval support)... so there's no reason why I would want the ARD working on those ships that are at pier side.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

I vaguely recall something saying if you set too many ships at "High" priority for repair it will confuse the AI. Anyone hear/read similar?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I vaguely recall something saying if you set too many ships at "High" priority for repair it will confuse the AI. Anyone hear/read similar?

It only takes 2 in this instance. I can repeat this behavior as long as the port has an ARD present. I think it may be repeatable with just an AR, but I haven't tested.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

I'm seeing this too. I had to move an ARD away from the AR to a different base to make the ARD work on major float. And even there the ARD needs Critical to do anything.
The Moose
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I'm seeing this too. I had to move an ARD away from the AR to a different base to make the ARD work on major float. And even there the ARD needs Critical to do anything.

Yeah. I think something needs to change to make this intuitive. As it stands, it just feels bonkers in the UI.
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

An ARD is only going to add a max 100 repair points per cycle. Depending on the number of repair points per damage point, it may take sometime flip over the required points to get 1 damage point repaired - a ARD means that the damage comes off the major float.
I'll load up the saves from the other post and have a look.
Michael
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: michaelm

An ARD is only going to add a max 100 repair points per cycle. Depending on the number of repair points per damage point, it may take sometime flip over the required points to get 1 damage point repaired - a ARD means that the damage comes off the major float.

Interesting to know about the ARD and repair points. I thought it was dependent on the lift size of the ARD, but I can see how that wouldn't necessarily be the case. I can post up some demonstrations of the ARD not repairing anything if other ships in port are set to the same priority level as the ship that is set to use the ARD (via being the only ship in port set to Repair Ship).
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Interesting to know about the ARD and repair points. I thought it was dependent on the lift size of the ARD, but I can see how that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

The lift size determines if a ship can be repaired by the ARD. Too big and the ARD wont be used.
Michael
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Interesting to know about the ARD and repair points. I thought it was dependent on the lift size of the ARD, but I can see how that wouldn't necessarily be the case.

The lift size determines if a ship can be repaired by the ARD. Too big and the ARD wont be used.

Right, but it seems as if you said (and maybe this is information I could've gotten before if I'd looked hard enough) that an ARD provides 100 repair points, whether its lift is 3K tons or 55K tons. I mean, other tenders have static repair points provided, so it makes sense, I just figured that an ARD functioned so much like a shipyard that I assumed a lift of 55 meant it would provide repair points like a size 55 Repair Shipyard.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Right, but it seems as if you said (and maybe this is information I could've gotten before if I'd looked hard enough) that an ARD provides 100 repair points, whether its lift is 3K tons or 55K tons. I mean, other tenders have static repair points provided, so it makes sense, I just figured that an ARD functioned so much like a shipyard that I assumed a lift of 55 meant it would provide repair points like a size 55 Repair Shipyard.
It's always been that the tonnage of a ship must be within the lift capacity of an ARD for that ARD to work on it.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

It's always been that the tonnage of a ship must be within the lift capacity of an ARD for that ARD to work on it.

Yes, I know that. But a bigger shipyard provides more repair points, in addition to being able to fit bigger ships. I didn't realize that an ARD provided a static number of repair points, regardless of lift capacity.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Yes, I know that. But a bigger shipyard provides more repair points, in addition to being able to fit bigger ships. I didn't realize that an ARD provided a static number of repair points, regardless of lift capacity.
OK, I got it. I never knew about what repair points they provided.
Zebedee

Post by Zebedee »

Just a fairly random one, but playing unmodded scenario 1, I've noticed that sub on sub attacks aren't centred in the graphical representation of the attack. The sub being attacked is off to the right rather than in the crosshairs. Pretty sure this isn't my drunk sub captains missing [;)]. This is using the 1920x1080 switch, although every other graphical representation of sub attacks are exactly within the crosshairs.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Patrol point selections

I haven't been playing a lot lately, and with the winter season around the corner I will be more.

This may have been addressed, but I don't think so.

When you select patrols points, each time you click the button to chose the next patrol point (2 and 3 for example) the screen to click the hex on the map reverts to the location of the task force/submarine.

Is it possible for the screen when you chose your hex to center over the most recent selection you just chose? ...So that you do not have to scroll from your task force/submarine location ALL of the way back to where you

chose your first point from to select your next patrol point.

If this isn't clear, please advise and I will explain more.

Thanks.
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Patrol point selections

I haven't been playing a lot lately, and with the winter season around the corner I will be more.

This may have been addressed, but I don't think so.

When you select patrols points, each time you click the button to chose the next patrol point (2 and 3 for example) the screen to click the hex on the map reverts to the location of the task force/submarine.

Is it possible for the screen when you chose your hex to center over the most recent selection you just chose? ...So that you do not have to scroll from your task force/submarine location ALL of the way back to where you

chose your first point from to select your next patrol point.

If this isn't clear, please advise and I will explain more.

Thanks.
That seems clear enough, and the reverse is true if you want to do something in the area under the unit info box - you cannot move the unit box to see the area first before making your selection. If the unit screen could be moveable by grabbing the box (via held left click) and moving it, it would save a lot of exiting and reopening the screen. I do not need to have a unit/base centred on screen to understand the info screen for it.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Return to “Tech Support”