Stacking limits

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

39battalion

Stacking limits

Post by 39battalion »

Looking to try DaBabesB with extended map and stacking limits and unsure about the implications of stacking limits.

Taking Rabaul as an example, when you mouse over the base it says the limit is 45,000. Is this the total limit for all troops in the hex including attacker and defender, or is it a limit of 45,000 each for attacker and defender ?

Thx
HansBolter

RE: Stacking limits

Post by HansBolter »

Been playing for some time with stacking limits and while I don't have a definitive answer it appears from experience to apply to one side at a time.

However, to assault a one hex island that is stacked to the maximum with high fort levels you have to overstack in the attack and then relieve the overstacking as quickly as possible there after.

Stacking limits are not hard. You can and must exceed them at times.
Hans

btd64

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Been playing for some time with stacking limits and while I don't have a definitive answer it appears from experience to apply to one side at a time.

However, to assault a one hex island that is stacked to the maximum with high fort levels you have to overstack in the attack and then relieve the overstacking as quickly as possible there after.

Stacking limits are not hard. You can and must exceed them at times.

Hans got it. The owning side worries about it....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
jimh009

Post by jimh009 »

Stacking limits are for one side only...so the 45,000 in Rabaul is for Japanese forces (if you're Japan).

The stacking limits really change the character of the game - in a good way, I might add. Also slows the pace of the game down a bit, too.

You can go over the stacking limits if you own the base, but...supply goes down in one hell of a hurry. I've noticed that up to about 10% over stacking limit has only marginal effect on supply and disruption levels. But as you get over that 10% level, the supply drain and disruption levels increase exponentially. Being 30% or more overstacked is a receipe for zero supply.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: jimh009

Stacking limits are for one side only...so the 45,000 in Rabaul is for Japanese forces (if you're Japan).

The stacking limits really change the character of the game - in a good way, I might add. Also slows the pace of the game down a bit, too.

You can go over the stacking limits if you own the base, but...supply goes down in one hell of a hurry. I've noticed that up to about 10% over stacking limit has only marginal effect on supply and disruption levels. But as you get over that 10% level, the supply drain and disruption levels increase exponentially. Being 30% or more overstacked is a receipe for zero supply.

I'm playing my first SL game and they're OK. To me they mostly come out in the wash, both sides have them so not that much diff. The main PITA is the interface wasn't designed for them, so SLs for LCUs in the bush outside bases have to be hand-added. Bases no problem, but having a stack of three LCUs in the Chinese mountains, with numbers for combat and non-combat men, gets to be extra work in a game already groaning with manual labor.
The Moose
SqzMyLemon

Post by SqzMyLemon »

Stacking limits affect both sides, it's not just the owning side that has to worry about it. In fact, I'd argue stacking limits affect the attacker more so then the defender, because the attacker will often have to exceed the limit in order to wear down the defence. If the SL for a hex is 45k, then Allied forces can have 45k in the hex and the Japanese can have 45k in the hex. The penalties for over stacking increase in severity depending on how much the limit is exceeded. Over stack a little and the penalty will seem minor, heavily over stack and the penalty will increase substantially. On top of the supply burn rate, the major impact on over stacking a hex is the disruption caused to the units. Exceed the SL substantially and you will heavily disrupt your forces which will result in heavy losses in both disabled and destroyed squads. Over stack at your peril.
Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Stacking limits have made swamps uber defensible terrain.

The combination of tripled defense and low stacking make attacking them a true quagmire.
Hans

atheory

Post by atheory »

Yep, surround and bomb them from the air.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: SqzMyLemon

Stacking limits affect both sides, it's not just the owning side that has to worry about it. In fact, I'd argue stacking limits affect the attacker more so then the defender, because the attacker will often have to exceed the limit in order to wear down the defence. If the SL for a hex is 45k, then Allied forces can have 45k in the hex and the Japanese can have 45k in the hex. The penalties for over stacking increase in severity depending on how much the limit is exceeded. Over stack a little and the penalty will seem minor, heavily over stack and the penalty will increase substantially. On top of the supply burn rate, the major impact on over stacking a hex is the disruption caused to the units. Exceed the SL substantially and you will heavily disrupt your forces which will result in heavy losses in both disabled and destroyed squads. Over stack at your peril.

I get all that, but as I said both sides are affected. Maybe the attacker more, sure. But in my other game, a non-SL game, I had over-stacking for weeks on an island to the extent it was costing me 22,000 supply a day. I easily kept up.

SLs were invented 75% to address China. They do, but I'm not sure that much when you consider the snowball retreat problem too. And as I also said, the interface isn't designed for them, and they're extra work in the bush. Sometimes a lot of extra work when a lot of units are moving through. I'm glad I tried them, but I doubt I would again.
The Moose
39battalion

Post by 39battalion »

Many thanks to all for these helpful comments.

I am looking forward to adding another layer of complexity by using stacking limits. Not enough complexity or detail in this game [:D]
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

I get all that, but as I said both sides are affected. Maybe the attacker more, sure. But in my other game, a non-SL game, I had over-stacking for weeks on an island to the extent it was costing me 22,000 supply a day. I easily kept up.

SLs were invented 75% to address China. They do, but I'm not sure that much when you consider the snowball retreat problem too. And as I also said, the interface isn't designed for them, and they're extra work in the bush. Sometimes a lot of extra work when a lot of units are moving through. I'm glad I tried them, but I doubt I would again.

Yes, fixing one issue in China has only created another. I would say that stacking limits for the most part work well except in China where they can cause the Chinese to go over like dominoes.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Yes, fixing one issue in China has only created another. I would say that stacking limits for the most part work well except in China where they can cause the Chinese to go over like dominoes.

Yea, now we just need a fix for the retreat code that causes retreating units to continue moving through a hex that becomes overstacked by their retreat.

Perhaps have it cause a morale drop on the units in the hex being retreated through.
Hans

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Yea, now we just need a fix for the retreat code that causes retreating units to continue moving through a hex that becomes overstacked by their retreat.

Perhaps have it cause a morale drop on the units in the hex being retreated through.

The morale drop is an interesting idea. We should however keep Pittsburgh Landing at the Battle of Shiloh in mind.

rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Stacking limits have made swamps uber defensible terrain.

The combination of tripled defense and low stacking make attacking them a true quagmire.

Pun intended?[:D]
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”