Trying Out Japan

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ChadS

RE: Trying Out Japan

Post by ChadS »

OK, so aside from the VP loss, for bases I have really no interest in at all, there's no need to garrison. That's what I'm hearing. And, a deficient garrison is better than no garrison.

Seems Japan doesn't have the manpower to control the world.... ;)
Chad S.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

There are ways to garrison all bases. Units may be split, components may be flown into a base to fulfill the requirements. Why give up VP's and have bases needlessly damaged?
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

ORIGINAL: ChadS
Seems Japan doesn't have the manpower to control the world.... ;)
It may, in the beginning. But in 1942 it gets hosts of unrestricted naval guard (av 60) and garrison (av 160) units. No problems with garrisoning the world in stock 1, at least wrt fulfilling garrison requirements
ChadS

Post by ChadS »

For garrison purposes, what constitutes the Northwest Control Zone?
Chad S.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

[&:] Where did you see the words "Northwest Control Zone" ?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
ChadS

Post by ChadS »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

In the Game Manual, page 201:

Any unit in the Northwest Control Zone counts toward this requirement. If the total is not met, there will be a small chance each day that the Soviets will activate

Chad S.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

In the Game Manual, page 201:

Any unit in the Northwest Control Zone counts toward this requirement. If the total is not met, there will be a small chance each day that the Soviets will activate

OK, that refers to Kwantung Army in Manchukuo for sure but I am not clear on whether the Kwantung Army in Korea is part of the 8000 AV minimum you need. Since Korea has no garrison requirements and is pretty safe from invasion until 1944, I move all units to Manchukuo and work from there.

You can buy out a lot of the artillery and AA units from Manchukuo because there is no loss of AV when you do so (but PP are scarce too). There are several thousand surplus AV in Manchukuo you can buy out. Most Japan players buy the tanks because of speed, firepower and lack or Chinese A/T weapons.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
ChadS

Post by ChadS »

This is an app I wrote to keep track of the things I want to do in game. It's a "checklist," of sorts. I'm putting it here, because I can't attach it to the AAR forum, where someone requested it.

As I said in that post:

I offer it as-is, with no warranty or support, etc., etc., etc. I did not obfuscate it from the original MSIL (for those that know what that means), and I can supply the source code if anyone really, really wants to see it. Basically, I have no reason to believe it will cause anyone a problem on their Windows based system.

Things to know:

1. You must have the .Net Framework 4.0 or later installed (That's Microsoft.Net framework).
2. The zip contains 2 files--the executable, and a config. The config technically allows you to change the name of the save file, though I haven't messed with it to test it. I figure 1 checklist is enough for me.
3. The save file will be created automatically after you create an entry. It saves automatically after every update to the file, or when you close the app.
4. You may have to run it "as administrator" for it to work (since it writes to the drive--some configurations shouldn't require this).
5. It is possible for the file to get corrupt. I haven't had this happen, but thought I should at least mention it. If you back up your other tools (Tracker, etc.) you probably should back this up, too.
6. Turn must be entered as a number. The other two fields (location and text) are not required, except one of them must have something in it.
7. I can't at all recall what I did the "repeat every turn" checkbox for, and I don't even know for sure it works. I left it in, to keep from having to retest everything, and it probably works just fine...if you find a use for it, great.
8. You right-click on items to "clear" them or "delete" them. Deleting them is permanent. Clearing them is not. I think I did that so you could go back and reuse an item over and over, without having to guess when you would next need it. I think I intended for this to replace the "every turn" check, but I'm not sure.

Attachments
WITPCheckList.exe.zip
(10.18 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Chad S.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Korea & Manchuko.
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Hi Chad

Downloaded and ready to test out, thanks. Will get back to you.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Ok installed fine and simple to use.

However when closed and reopened it says the current turn is 1 - it isn't on my test it is 1037. So it does not appear to be saving this.

Is it possible to have another field as well as Turn, Location, Note. I tend to either do my orders in a geographical area or by an operation that a group of actions are within. Ideally it would be nice to label a group of notes as all part of an operation.... Hope that makes sense.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I have pinched your idea and applied it to a spreadsheet programme on my Mac - will work better for me that way. I do think the idea is a good one so hopefully others may want to give it a try.

Roger
ChadS

Post by ChadS »

Hi Roger,

If you click the "Util" menu item, it allows you to reset to the turn you want. I hadn't considered making it smart enough to know what turn you were on. I suppose I could consider that in the future.
Chad S.
ChadS

Post by ChadS »

March 30, and Singapore is on its last legs. Manila fell, but Clark Field is still kicking (and pretty hard, at that).

So, what am I not considering, with regards to how to capture these more quickly? It doesn't seem to be a troop strength issue--I've got pretty strong troops and AV values. I'm not very good at rotating in fresh troops, though. I am wondering if that's a factor I need to think a little harder about.
Chad S.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Lotta factors, not surprisingly, they mimic real combat:

Combined arms attacks
Focus your strength for attacks
Be sure troops are well rested prior to attack
Sufficient support
preparation for the target
leaders
unit exp

Given your dates for the above, you are not fully utilizing one or more of the items in the list optimally. keep practicing.
Pax
ChadS

Post by ChadS »

I think it's the rested units. I typically roll in with inf, arm, art, and hit with bombers as well. I try to attack from multiple sides when I can, though when they retreat, that becomes difficult, particularly in Malaya.

I'm not preparing for the targets, either. The big ones (Singapore), sure, but not the intermediates that are along the way.

I haven't tweaked leaders much. I'll give that a look-see too.

Thanks Pax!
Chad S.
ChadS

Post by ChadS »

Another question--

what's the proper way to clear out mines in a hostile hex? Is it even possible? I've lost lots of ships to coastal guns in mined hexes. Send in the sweepers--the coastal guns sink 'em. Send in the big guns to suppress the coastal guns--the mines sink 'em.
Chad S.
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

You can't (effectively) sweep mines if there's coastal guns in the hex, especially big guns. So why even try? Is it really necessary to clear the minefield, and why?

There's places you just shouldn't send ships if enemy have the hex. Singapore, Bataan, Yokohama...
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

When you are attacking mined and fortified island, you should include some minesweepers into your amphibious TF together with some big gunships. Then you send it away, pray, and get ready for some inevitable losses. When you are bombarding, you send big guns, set some distance for the bombardment, and then mines/CDs usually don't hit you. It is perfectly possible to bombard e.g. Pearl Harbour with IJN battleships and not get hit by mines at all, and hardly hit by CD guns.
But it is useless to only sweep the minefield with CDs present, you will always get your MSWs mauled.

Return to “The War Room”