Disappearing (but still there) Matrix Games folder!

Here is the place to get and give support to your fellow gamers. This is NOT an official game support conference but a place for general tech support. All questions are welcomed, basic, advanced, software or hardware.
jeffnward

Disappearing (but still there) Matrix Games folder!

Post by jeffnward »

This is a good one folks and while Paulo is doing his best to help me out, I thought I'd throw it out here as well.

Though I can't be sure of the exact cause, the problem started when I wanted to move CMANO from my crowded C: drive over to the more spacious D: drive and CMANO would not uninstall. So I applied some brute force by deleting the CMANO directory, Paulo sent me a special uninstall file, had me delete the D:\Matrix Games\CMANO folder, I reinstalled the game on the D: drive and all was fine.

But shortly thereafter, all of the pictures on all of the Icons for the 23 games in the D:Matrix Games folders reverted to the generic picture. And when I tried to change them back, Windows said it couldn't find the start files in the D:\Matrix Games\subfolder directory. Meanwhile, all 23 of those games ran just fine so they were certainly still on the hard drive.

Using Windows Explorer, I tried to manually go to the D:\Matrix Games folder and discovered it wasn't there! And no amount of changing folder options (see hidden folders etc...) brought it back. I could even create a new D:\Matrix Games folder and delete it without creating further problems.

So when the latest CMANO update came out yesterday, I downloaded and ran it wondering what the heck would happen. It did bring back the D:\Matrix Games folder and all of the CMANO subfolders and files - 18 GB - all reappeared. But now the game won't run! Windows 7 ceaselessly tries to fix a problem and nothing happens.

So I'm stuck with blank icons and an invisible folder that allows the games to run just fine until I update them and they will no longer run.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro, there is no malware or viruses on the PC, and only two folders that have been affected by this problem are the D:\Matrix Games and the D:\LNLGames directory (Lock 'n Load games). All of the typical programs a virus would go after (Office etc.) are fine.

I know Windows 7 can have vanishing folder problems, but none of the online fixes has worked. Thus, I would be truly grateful if one of you could help me out. Thanks!

Jeff

Return to “Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers”