Oh Man - 1980's Computers

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

Oh Man - 1980's Computers

Post by demyansk »

You have to check out this slide show of the stores and computers from the 1980's. What will 2040 be like?
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/33 ... 0s-and-80s

Also for you guys under 40, read the comments from the readers, unbelievable
jamus34

RE: Oh Man - 1980's Computers

Post by jamus34 »

I still remember my first home computer as a little tyke - Commodore 128

Would fit in fine with those pictures there.

My how times have changed.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Miss my Amiga 1000 some times.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

Apple II+ 1978

Those were the days... the overpriced days! That computer with 48K memory and one floppy disk drive cost me $2500!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

Heh yeah, I remember those days and that huge 8" floppy drive. Those hardware were expensive back in those days compare what we have now.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

My first one was Atari 800XL (64 KB RAM); the second one was Amiga 500 (1MB RAM).

At the turn of the 1990s, Amiga beat PC in terms of graphics, music and everything... IMO, it was the best comp at that time.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Freyr Oakenshield

My first one was Atari 800XL (64 KB RAM); the second one was Amiga 500 (1MB RAM).

At the turn of the 1990s, Amiga beat PC in terms of graphics, music and everything... IMO, it was the best comp at that time.
+1 Atari 800!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

You ain't lived until you've played a game on cassette tape on a VIC 20. [;)]
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Or on a TRS-80 Model 1.
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

No...you ain't lived until you programmed a C64 game in ML and then played it ;)
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

yeah I remember when I first got mine I had to buy a book to program some games in basic by copying every line of code. then i found SSI and Lord British Ultima and I was in hog heaven.

My first cassette game was Rescue at Rigel and my first disk game was Knights of the Desert.
No...you ain't lived until you programmed a C64 game in ML and then played it ;)

Just think guys we got to play the real quality games back when they programmed for the love of the game/genre. Today it seems they just program for the money. I haven't seen any real love in a game in a long long time. There's always bugs and patches needed and I never had a game back in the 80's that needed a patch or had bugs. It wasn't until Master of Magic 1.30 or 1.31 patch that I ever encountered a need for a patch.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

...and my first disk game was Knights of the Desert.

Hey, that was my fist game for the C64 too. I still remember the 1540 disk drive with the hard stop. It kept getting out of alignment and I ended up taking a drill to it. I modified the stop using a safety pin to replace the stop to keep it aligned.

Rick
wodin

Post by wodin »

Mine was a BBC B 32K..well my Dads really. I saved a couple of years later I saved my Paper round money plus Xmas money for an Amstrad CPC464 with green screen monitor..couldn't afford the colour monitor! Then when I got my first full time job I bought an Atari ST 512K...later an Amiga 512 and later still an Amiga 1200. Then finally I went onto a Windows PC which was I think an Intell Pentium @260hz.. I think it was..also had two graphics cards one was a 3D Voodoo card. After that had many upgrades.

One regret is I remember giving away my Amiga 1200 still boxed and like new to the lad who came and built my first PC..damn thing is worth a fair bit now!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

What about Amiga 500's? I have two working ones of those. Never could do that PAL thing very well or tried to learn it like I did basic but it seemed nearly every game I got need a PAL boot disk. WINGS was my first encounter with needing PAL I think. WINGS is/was an excellent game on the Amiga 500 I can't believe the countless days/weeks I played that one.

I remember buying my first Amiga 500 to play "Sword of Aragon" what a wonderful experience. I wish I could find an Amiga 500 emulator like I found for my Commodore 64. I can play those old games on a Vista 64 bit OS and they work just fine. Being able to play the Germany 1985 and RDF 1985 again on a very modern machine is awesome and a lot more fun than some of these titles today. Of course "War of the Lance" is still playable also. My favorite game of all times I think.
CGGrognard

Post by CGGrognard »

I agree! The VIC 20 was my first computer which also had a cassette drive. I recall having a very primitive flight simulator program that came with a paper map with coordinate grids and two runways, one at each end of the map. The display (on the screen) was simply two gauges for air speed and altitude, a compass heading and an indicator for the landing gear. The goal was to fly from one end of the map to the other without crashing into a mountain or canyon. The entire flight as I recall took all of five to ten minutes, but the program took about 20 minutes to load from the cassette.

The VIC 20 was a great little starter computer, one that I learned some basic programming on.
"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu
wodin

Post by wodin »

Vic 20 was the younger brother of the Commodore 64.

Who can recall loading a game to that eeeeerrrr...urrrrr...eeeeerrrr....and start loading just before tea as you know when you've finished it will be loaded..if it hasn't crashed.

My year and a half worth of Elite saves was chewed..I prob had played it nearly every day for that year and a half.. can you imagine the anger and heart ache that caused me at 13!
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ahhh Elite. How many hours did I spend playing that and couldn't wait to be able to afford the docking computer for my ship. For an 80's game I think it was well designed. Gave me hours of enjoyment.
wodin

Post by wodin »

For an eighties game it was outstanding. I had a joystick where it didn't self centre so you could just move it into the exact position to stop the roll..massive help. Easy my favourite game on the BBC...infact no game has awed me like that since and none ever will.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I remember playing on a cassette tape game on my friend's Timex Sinclair. A Commodore 64? I dreamed of having such a novelty. [:'(]

Return to “General Discussion”