Why Matrix don't permit all registerd items to be downloadable?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Zap

RE: Why Matrix don't permit all registerd items to be downloadable?

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: demjansk

Question,

I know a lot of people say that when you buy a game on Steam it's not really yours.

Has anyone challenged this in Court? I am sure some person who is an attorney and has bought thousands of games say in 20 years from now would be able to have a case against a company like Steam if something wasn't honored. Just my thoughts. You can always find a judge in agreement.

The first thought that comes to mind is the value of the games purchased (if bought on sale at steam) would not make it worth it. paying a Lawyer for One hour his services would easily cost more then what you paid for the games.
marcpennington

Post by marcpennington »

I only noticed recently when upgrading my computer that Matrix didn't have a link in the generate downloads for a couple games I had bought (I want to say Panzer Corps and JTCS, maybe one or two more). I had kept backups of the original downloads of all my Matrix purchases on my old computer, and so just ported over the ones that were missing to my new computer.

All that said, I'm confident with my serial numbers registered, if I ever really needed to re-download them from Matrix, I'm sure I could.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: sandgamer

Nowadays,almost download shop,such as Steam,GamersGate,GOG,allow user to download purchased items at any number of times.
But Matrix games restrict items to be downloadable even though after registering.

Does they have problem of cost of internet traffic?
1 serial key allow to register one account.
Normal user don't download same item many times.
Many download shop have been testifying it.

I'm so annoyed in my trouble that purchased and registered item don't appear in my account orders.
How do you think this?

Mainly I think it's because "you" can save the .exe on one of your hard drives or flash drives and don't need to download it a 100 times from Matrixgames. I have all my purchases copied 3 times on various media plus register the ones I can here. I'm not too worried about losing anything.

I'm recently finding you can do this with STEAM games also. But, you still need the steam client in the future to run them offline. So, I have them saved as well and another copy of the steam client.exe.

All n all it's almost a perfect PC gaming world now. Just that DRM needs to be kicked out the door and a cdkey or one time application be used for it. I do have a problem holding on to DRM codes though I am starting to copy them onto another computer and saving for future reference. When you have over 100 games on steam this can become a problem.
budd

Post by budd »

Plimus or digital river you should be able to get a new download link when its registered to your account, not have to provide CC# you purchased it with. Registered to your account...here's your link sir. Frankly while i haven't had to use it often [backup your sh*t[;)]] on the last 2 occasions they were great. One was retrieving a download link for a game i purchased through the older store and couldn't find my saved file[i backup, I didn't say my backups were organized] the other was a game that wouldn't run for me, the support was great in both cases. But you guys have been saying for years now that all the games purchased no matter the store would be under one umbrella for redownloading, whats up with that. While were on the subject, gift cards still only good for a year? still not able to cover shipping with gift card? Still not able to use gift card and discount code on the same purchase? With the above limitations i don't use them and believe me i'd like to, hey family i'll make it easy...get me a Matrix gift card.....guess another year of cologne and slippers...sigh[:D]. Been a customer for awhile and really haven't got any serious complaints, but there are area's where customer convenience could be improved. With your foray into steam and hopefully a bunch of new customers your going to have to up your game a bit. Satisfied customer rant...over.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

It's not that difficult folks. If you can prove you bought it, Matrix will always send you another link to download your game again. You should also be backing up your games. I can honestly say I have needed to request another download and Matrix was very happy to accommodate me.

If you register your games with Matrix then you won't ever have a problem having to prove you own it.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I agree, I keep my installs on another hard drive, is that what you mean by backing up?
typhoon

Post by typhoon »

Matrix have always been great to me whenever I've requested to re download and there have been many titles I have had to do this for. The matrix games have stayed with me throughout unlike at least three laptops I bought to play them on.
Freyr Oakenshield

Post by Freyr Oakenshield »

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

We are working on a system to allow this but until it is complete you just have to request a download and we always issue a new one. There is no time limit on your download.

Seriously? That would be great [&o]

BTW, are you developing a desktop client application like the ones by Steam, Gog, or Origin?
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Sandgamer, if you register the games in the Members Area, there is a link (admittedly I forget where it is because I looked everywhere and eventually found it) to request a new download link.

It's true the link has a time limit on it - but what Iain says is true - your download will never expire - just click the link and an email will be sent within a day (or two - I got mine in 2 days, but it was a weekend when I reported it and still got the link on Sunday I believe) - then you can use that new link...but don't leave it again - download and backup the file. Then you won't have to request another new link
Not true...I am unable to get download link for purchases made through Digital River
Challerain

Post by Challerain »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Sandgamer, if you register the games in the Members Area, there is a link (admittedly I forget where it is because I looked everywhere and eventually found it) to request a new download link.

It's true the link has a time limit on it - but what Iain says is true - your download will never expire - just click the link and an email will be sent within a day (or two - I got mine in 2 days, but it was a weekend when I reported it and still got the link on Sunday I believe) - then you can use that new link...but don't leave it again - download and backup the file. Then you won't have to request another new link
Not true...I am unable to get download link for purchases made through Digital River

This thread was started 3 years ago. When it started Matrix still used DR so it was true then.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

Wow, I was replying to a 3 year old thread. I'll look more carefully next time.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: Challerain

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

This thread was started 3 years ago. When it started Matrix still used DR so it was true then.
The purchases I made through DR should be honoured...they are not...
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

If you contact support they'll sort you out with any games you purchased from DR. If you purchased from us we'll have the order history no matter how old it is and we can issue you new download links as long as you have the order details.

Note there have been cases where people bought from someone else using DR, but we can only help with orders placed with us. That's why its always best to buy direct! :)

DR charged for ongoing access to the downloads which is one of the reasons we stopped working with them.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Return to “General Discussion”