Corrupted save file - can't save anymore

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

TulliusDetritus

Corrupted save file - can't save anymore

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Hello everyone [:)]

I suffered a brain stroke the 7th july (4 months ago that is). Everything is ok, I am doing a lot of rehab every day -5 hours- and will recover 100% or close, according to the docs.

The thing is, only now I resumed my game vs AI. I finished the turn (middle of july 1942), clicked on the end turn, the combat resolution phase proceeded ok and then when I tried to save the game at the beginning of the allied turn an error message appeared, "unable to save" or something like that.

Given that I can load the game without problem, I tried to save on a different slot before clicking on the end turn button thing. To no avail [:(]

Could anyone kindly help, please? I can send the file if it's necessary.

Many thanks in advance [:)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
witpqs

RE: Corrupted save file - can't save anymore

Post by witpqs »

TD, sorry to hear about that trouble [:(], but I'm glad that it's looking so good! [8D]

My suggestion would have been most of what you already did, backing up a turn. The additional thing you can try is to make some changes to the orders before you end the turn.

Also, you might want to provide that save game plus the corrupt end-turn game to Michael if he wants them to maybe spot a bug.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The game auto-saves to Slot 2 (pre-turn save) before executing the turn. Try loading the game at Slot 2 and see if it is the one you just worked on.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
TulliusDetritus

Many thanks to both of you [:)]

I tried different methods (what you told me + some other ideas). Unfortunately it hasn't worked [:(]

I will try to fix the file with some freeware programmes that fix - apparently, but I am sceptic [:D]- corrupted files.

Other than that, I guess only Michaelm can save my a** [:D]

I will inform you, don't worry.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Had another look at the first few saves area, and the save slot 000 is called "Autosave" which should be the end of the previous turn. If it is any good you can just load it and re-do your turn to see if it works.

Did you by any chance update your game before resuming play? Sometimes the update changes are not compatible with old saved versions, but usually it will say so when you try to load the old version saved game.

And then there are the issues with upgrading the O/S to Windows 10 ....[8|]

Michael will want to know this sort of stuff for his troubleshooting to decide whether incompatibility is a factor.

Oh, and let him know if any FIFA officials had access to that save file ... [:D]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Zip up the pre-turn save (002) and attach here. I'll run it and see what happens
Include the autosave (000). That will give me a before and after view.[:D]
Michael
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Had another look at the first few saves area, and the save slot 000 is called "Autosave" which should be the end of the previous turn. If it is any good you can just load it and re-do your turn to see if it works.

Did you by any chance update your game before resuming play? Sometimes the update changes are not compatible with old saved versions, but usually it will say so when you try to load the old version saved game.

Oh, and let him know if any FIFA officials had access to that save file

Same problem with slot 000. Since the 7 july I did not run (clicking on the end turn button) any turn. But I think I updated the game. I hope that's not the origin of the problem.

I don't know if the FIFA crooks are involved. My money is on Gremlins, aliens (a lot of them) or perhaps the Illuminati [:D]

Michaelm, as suggested, I attach the zip file. Take your time, there is no hurry at all. And many many thanks [&o][&o][&o][&o]

I'll be praying big time, just in case!
Attachments
wpae000.zip
(2.71 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
TulliusDetritus

And slot 0002
Attachments
wpae002.zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

I loaded the 002 and saved it a few times without any error - the save was from beta 11.23x10. I answered N to the update the scenario question.

I have attached one of those saves. There does not seem to be any issue with the save - I used the latest beta (1125) BTW for loading.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the save itself.

Info:
Can you get a screen shot of the error?
What OS are you using?
Where did you install AE? (in Program Files..?)

---
Is the save directory 'Read only' ?? (Check properties on the directory.)
Attachments
wpae032.zip
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 7 times
Michael
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Is the save directory 'Read only' ?? (Check properties on the directory.)

Bloody hell! [:@] Yes, it's read only. In fact almost all the folders are "read only". What the...! I never did this manually.

I have tried the traditional method to change the attribute and then the ATTRIB commnand thing. The folders are still read only.

hmmm I restored the system to an earlier point last week but something went wrong...

Now I am updating Win 7. Let's see what happpens. In any case you are correct. The save file is ok. Now Let's hope I can get rid of this read only thing [:)]
TulliusDetritus

Okay... this problem has been driving me crazy [&:] I could NOT change the attribute of the folder/s (the read only nightmare thing). I tried many things but nothing worked. I was going to give up -next step = FORMAT C: [:@] But I did a last try: I right clicked on the witpae.exe on the desktop and then chose run as administrator To my utter surprise it has worked. NOW I could save the game, finally!!! [:)]

So until I fix this problem (possibly my friend the exterminator aka format c:) I will have to use this method.

Again, many thanks to everyone [&o]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I have a feeling that when you were trying to change the attribute that you were not 'administrator' at that time and so were not allowed to make that change.

Something that I am digging out of old brain cells - where did you install the game? From long ago I seem to remember that people who installed the game under "C:\Program Files" or under "C:\Program Files (x86)" ran into the problem you have described or something like it.

It's better to install the game somewhere else, like just plain "C:\". That way you wind up with "C:\Matrix Games\..." instead of "C:\Program Files\Matrix Games\..." or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\...". When things are inside one of the 'Program Files' areas the Windows OS really tries to provide extra protection against malware (viruses and so on) getting in.
TulliusDetritus

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I have a feeling that when you were trying to change the attribute that you were not 'administrator' at that time and so were not allowed to make that change.

Something that I am digging out of old brain cells - where did you install the game? From long ago I seem to remember that people who installed the game under "C:\Program Files" or under "C:\Program Files (x86)" ran into the problem you have described or something like it.

It's better to install the game somewhere else, like just plain "C:\". That way you wind up with "C:\Matrix Games\..." instead of "C:\Program Files\Matrix Games\..." or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Matrix Games\...". When things are inside one of the 'Program Files' areas the Windows OS really tries to provide extra protection against malware (viruses and so on) getting in.

I always installed the game in c:\Matrix Games\war etc et etc\ [:)]

Believe me, I cannot change the attribute, even as the mega boss (administrator). Something weird happened when I tried to restore the system to an earlier point. The pc did not respond, I had to turn it off. Now ALL the folders are read-only [&:]

Ad I said above I managed to find a workaround; for witp AE. But I might be forced to call my mate the exterminator... I tried everything under the sun and it's not working [8D]

A good format c: is the best medicine when you can't find the cure.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Do you have any anti-virus running?
TulliusDetritus

Yes, of course. Microsoft security essentials. Just in case I downloaded Kaspersky trial. Both programmes did no find any virus [:)]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Yes, of course. Microsoft security essentials. Just in case I downloaded Kaspersky trial. Both programmes did no find any virus [:)]
I think the point is that the AV programs themselves interrupt everything running whenever they feel like it.

Return to “Tech Support”