A question to Harpooners here and not only

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Sensei.Tokugawa

A question to Harpooners here and not only

Post by Sensei.Tokugawa »

Came here from land warfare in search for a decent naval and aerial warfare implementation and found a whole new dimension of warfare to be explored in a demanding and potentially deadly environment.

Now, since I used to have Harpoon 3 ANW, but had never gotten into that to any depth - is there anything still in there to make getting Harpoon Ultimate Edition here at Matrix a sensible move now when I have CMANO with NI and all of the goodies available? Apart from multiplayer capability, of course, been playing Airborne Assault and BFTB online in real time and I am not looking forward to that that much as a matter of fact.

I am asking in case I may have missed something while making my own judgement. Please advise.
"-What if one doesn't make it?
-Then we know he was no good for SpetsNaz. ..."
V. Suvorov, "Spetsnaz;the Story behind the Soviet SAS"

...No escape from Passchendaele .../ God Dethroned, "Passiondale"

Dysta

RE: A question to Harpooners here and not only

Post by Dysta »

They're different animals, from program to gaming themselves. I know CMANO shares a lots of legacies from Harpoons and James' Fleet Command had, but I never get the same gaming experience in CMANO.

In short, unnecessary, but worth to try if you really want to see the difference.
AlmightyTallest

Post by AlmightyTallest »

I came from the same simulators, from Harpoon 2 then Harpoon 3 Pro versions and used them extensively for years.

Currently CMANO has completely replaced my need for running the Harpoon series because of some of the higher fidelity modelling of certain systems and units. I'm especially fond of the ECM modelling and LPI radar modeling capabilities in CMANO just to name a few.

In the end it's up to you depending on how deep you want to get into the simulation, there's no wrong choice.
Sensei.Tokugawa

I see the difference just by running the demo, spending about a hundred bucks just to spend hours after hours on end then to find out myself if I haven't wasted that doesn't sound like my kind of fun. I am asking as in any decent military simulation there has to be more than meets the eye at first glance which is quite often an easy thing to overlook. In simulations I am looking for realism mainly and chiefly, I guess that's what they are for so if CMANO models certain systems and situations better then I am there.
However, I think I get your points guys so I thank you for the input.

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

Well, in what kind of perspective of realism are you looking for? Army? Navy? Air Force? Strategic Commanding?

There are so many realistic military games you can check on Steam, but I need to understand your specific interest first.

Clearly, CMANO is more centric to military commanding based on realistic data of military assets and weaponries, but for more in-depth perspective to see how they works, then you're more likely looking for something like Dangerous Water, DCS Flaming Cliff, Steel Beast or some sorts.
FTBSS

Post by FTBSS »

To me this game is the Harpoon series on Steroids from the full world map to the sensor models to working logistics (please get port replenishment working). The sim is awesome Flexible magazines and mounts the ability to import overlays of actual installations, Satellite warfare. Battles from end of WW2 gunboat fights to full scale nuclear exchanges. The ability to simulate an amphibious assault shore bombardment and with 1.09 have your ground forces take over airfields on enemy ground.

Game is incredible in both it's depth and it's entertainment factor and what is even better is the development team love their game and respect their customers and it shows, they continue working to improve what is already the best air/naval simulation available to the public and listen to reasonable suggestions and feedback.

Just couldn't be happier with this purchase, Will support any future scenario packs to keep these guys able to feed their families while providing me with hours of stimulating entertainment.
renders

Post by renders »

NI is cheap and will show you the full power of CMANO
link to NI thread
Sensei.Tokugawa

I'd rather have respondents who properly refer to the initial post than folks spamming the thread with pep talk when I have already stated, perhaps not directly enough though, that I have already had CMANO along with NI and was just considering whether to add Harpoon to that or not - if there is still anything that CMANO might not have included.

Dysta, I have had Dangerous Waters, along with 6(886)I hunter/Killer and Sub Command to explore the tactical level; Jane's Hornet sims, F/A - 18 Korea, Navy Jets/Fighters along with Destroyer Command and the like - thanks for the recommendations though. I couldn't care less for the tanks, have never fully understood what is their appeal to so many people out there - to me warships have all of the punch and the the elegance there could be about killing machines etc.

I'd like to have more of the operational level implemented, I am reading Milan Vego's "Operational Warfare at Sea" and he states that a major naval operation and maritime campaign usually spans for weeks or months so CMANO is still a bit under the level being somewhat more tactically oriented, but that is alright, there are already a few several scenarios of operational capability , so to speak. Please suggest anything you happen to know about if that would fit the demands above more or less, but no Battlestations Pacific or the like please, all I can digest from that sort of staff is Strategic Command: the Pacific War, albeit still awfully simplified to fit the demands for a nicely flowing gameplay. On the other hand WitP, WPO and AE are quite unmanageable even though people play them.

renders

Post by renders »

hei buddy a little spikey huh? was just trying to give you a link in case you needed.. i think i will just forget this post, and you.
renders

Post by renders »

also, your egoistic questions could be useful for other peps in your situation. and by the way, this is command forums, so it's supposed to bring people in. so spam it's not the right word.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Well Burroughs at least you're not questioning the morality of building and playing war games this time[8|]

There is still lots we'd like to add at the operational level. The good news is that given our product's development is still active we can. If there is some operational level features you'd like I'd like to hear specifics and we'll see if they're already on the list or could be added.

Thanks for being postive and productive!

[:)]

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

ORIGINAL: Broncepulido

Perhaps you should do a trip by www.harpgamer.com and download the new demo by Tony.
I think Harpoon HCE/HUCE is perhaps less detailed in some issues, as ammo allowance control, but perhaps better adapted to greater scenarios with a higher number of units.
Both CMANO and Harpoon HCE/HUCE are Matrix products, and not concurrents, indeed the CMANO developers post their (greater) news in Harpgamer.com to keep both communities at current advances of the other.

Lets not do this. You will get banned.

Mike
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Locked for now.No Harpoon vs. Command stuff.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”