Preview on the manual

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

schascha

Preview on the manual

Post by schascha »

Any chance ???

Would be great[&o][&o][&o]
Vic

RE: Preview on the manual

Post by Vic »

I do believe some sort of limited preview was in the planning, but not sure on timing.

As you might have noted the index is already previewed:
http://www.vrdesigns.nl/?p=1078

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

The manual has not even been available for testers, we'll have to be patient, the 24th is round the corner [8D]
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

The level of secrecy is a little odd, no?
"Tanks forward"
Bradley62

Post by Bradley62 »

The nightingale sings at dawn.
Daniele

Post by Daniele »

The wait is over :-)

[center]Image[/center]
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

Thanks for the preview. It would be nice if you could elaborate on the differences between DC2 and DC3 as that page of the manual was not previewed [;)]
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Thanks for the manual preview, looks promising [&o]
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

ORIGINAL: bssybeep

Thanks for the preview. It would be nice if you could elaborate on the differences between DC2 and DC3 as that page of the manual was not previewed [;)]

Basicially in DC3 the units are Divisions, and direct control over artillery and airstrikes is removed. You control air and artillery assests using cards that are applied to a specific Armee Gruppe, Panzer Gruppe, or Division.
Playing the German side, your forced to balance the relationships with your superiors and subordinates, which effects their willingness to help you. Playing as the Soviets You're Stalin, with all the confusion, paranoia, and "Troubleshooters" that you've read about. (Pipe, moustache, and Georgian accent not included)
Its the first wargame Ive ever seen to include war crimes and attrocities.(Though this can be turned off in the game options)
Theres a set of new editors that make scenario creation much simpler.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

Well, its the holiday pre runnup to Black Friday, and we do not have a clue for budgeting sake what this will go for, and honestly I find this a bit odd and not in line with my own values, but hey, not my company
"Tanks forward"
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I'd expect within $10 of Matrix high end prices for budget planning. I was deciding between DC3 and Fallout 4 and I decided to go with DC3.
bssybeep

Post by bssybeep »

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

Basicially in DC3 the units are Divisions, and direct control over artillery and airstrikes is removed. You control air and artillery assests using cards that are applied to a specific Armee Gruppe, Panzer Gruppe, or Division.
Playing the German side, your forced to balance the relationships with your superiors and subordinates, which effects their willingness to help you. Playing as the Soviets You're Stalin, with all the confusion, paranoia, and "Troubleshooters" that you've read about. (Pipe, moustache, and Georgian accent not included)
Its the first wargame Ive ever seen to include war crimes and attrocities.(Though this can be turned off in the game options)

thanks for the reply. Just wondering as I already own DC2.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: Blond_Knight

thanks for the reply. Just wondering as I already own DC2.

They also cover different time periods. DC3 is June 41 to Jan 42.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Ostwindflak

Post by Ostwindflak »

I read in the manual that Soviet units are more or less "immune" to fatigue because they are "of peasant stock and used to hardship plus they are defending their homeland" (paraphrased). This seems odd to me that the Germans accrue fatigue but the Soviets do not.
War is a hard business, on everyone involved. The Soviet Army wasn't made up of "super men" that never tire and don't need to eat and sleep.

Perhaps the fatigue penalty doesn't have to be equal with the Germans since they are attacking constantly, but maybe accrue it at half the speed for the same types of actions the German units do.

What was the reason behind the decision for the Soviets to not accrue fatigue?
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi Ostwindflak,

The Eastern front was a particularly harsh environment for the Germans. A lot of their older officers simply couldn't cope and had to be sent elsewhere. Nervous breakdowns were not uncommon.

The Germans had concentrated the vast majority of their transport to provide mobility and logistical support for their four Panzergruppes. There was precious little left for the Infantry divisions and the troops had to cover vast distances on foot, often with poor food and field billets in adverse weather. Fatigue was a huge problem.

The typical Soviet conscript was, as mentioned, of peasant stock, and well acclimatised to the land, the weather and dealing with hardship. They were, on average, physically tougher and used to the conditions.

The Soviets also had the benefits of falling back on railway networks that enabled large troop movements.

Fatigue was an issue for everybody but relative to the problems faced by the Germans, it was a pretty minor factor for the Soviets.

The Germans will only accumulate fatigue while they are set to Blitzkrieg posture (full on, aggressive, attack mode, significant offensive combat bonuses). It's a trade-off.

Order an Army to reconfigure to a Sustained Offensive posture and you'll no longer be accumulating fatigue.

Cheers,
Cameron
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I remember reading about how the Germans began after the first few months to suffer from what they termed "Melancholy". Something about their "European minds" couldnt cope with the sheer size of the Russian landscape. Marching through the same wheatfield for three days. That sort of thing.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”