Napoleonic Strategy Mod

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

gazfun

Napoleonic Strategy Mod

Post by gazfun »

I need some advice here on the Mod Im developing.
I have productions points already set and I know what each nations is producing but I also need manpower to work and I need to test this to ensure it does work. I have made a data base or stringlist with towns the x,y locations the regime they belong to, and the manpower for each provincial town centre.

Hopefully if this worked in this smaller version of the stringlist before I did the entire stringlist. So then I will need to make an event for manpower. And as yet coding is my weakest point.

Attachments
Manpower data base.jpg
Manpower data base.jpg (86.32 KiB) Viewed 144 times
LJBurstyn

RE: Napoleonic Strategy Mod

Post by LJBurstyn »

Hello. String lists are fine for manpower. You can set one up to reflect just turn increases. Manpower can be used to build all units. example. Stringlist ID2 have the manpower increases each turn and an event is written to increase each Manpower Regime Variable each ROUND for all peoples. The item tab in the editor can be used to say how much each SFT costs in manpower. So when the unit is built it automatically takes the manpower out of the Regime Variable. Not enough manpower means unit cannot be built. The manpower increase string can have three columns or more: One for when the people is the same as the Regime. One for when it is controlled by an enemy. And the third when controlled by an ally. Not sure you need x, y coordinates in the string list as that is set up in the map. You can test the x, y coordinates in an event to see who controls the position where the city is located. But a stinglist might be useful to do an event to check every city during the round. I did not use stringlist to set up cities since a large portion of the population will NOT be in the cities that are on the map. I used the population of the whole country to set up the manpower variable before the game ever started.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I believe Gazfun is trying to copy, more or less, what i did for GD1938. That means that if a city is controlled by anyone other than the original owner, then it gives out lesser amounts of manpower than if it is not. If you want to do that, and thus have cities each giving out some manpower, you either have to use a stringlist for the x y coordinates of cities, or make the values of the manpower be on a hex map. Since it is faster to manipulate a stringlist, I chose that... but other options are of course viable.

I think what Gazfun is looking for though, is advice on how to program the event to get the values from the stringlist...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I believe Gazfun is trying to copy, more or less, what i did for GD1938. That means that if a city is controlled by anyone other than the original owner, then it gives out lesser amounts of manpower than if it is not. If you want to do that, and thus have cities each giving out some manpower, you either have to use a stringlist for the x y coordinates of cities, or make the values of the manpower be on a hex map. Since it is faster to manipulate a stringlist, I chose that... but other options are of course viable.

I think what Gazfun is looking for though, is advice on how to program the event to get the values from the stringlist...
Thats right Claus doing the manpower per city maybe easier for me. As Im not confidant still with Event coding. so here must be something in the Loc Type Info that the manpower value can be put? Make an Itemgroup Manpower?
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

There are few ways that you can do this, and I think you also need to ask what it is you are trying to accomplish with manpower. For example, if you have the same manpower each turn, and all that happens is that if you lose the city you can't build them, this is really the same as losing the manufacture capability. You might want to consider having a maximum population and manpower gets subtracted from it. That way loses will have a real impact.

I think the best way to use manpower is to use it like raw. It is a regime variable that gets augmented via the cities each turn. So, it increases the pool of manpower. Then, for items you make the production of the item cost a regime variable resource. Look at tanks in the item category, and you see that it cost a certain amount for the RegimeSlotCost: Raw(0). Every time you make a tank, the Raw RegimeSlot is reduced. And, every turn mines give you Raw. So, another simple way to do this is to make a loctype that is, say manpower. It can produce manpower each turn, just like a mine produces raw and an oil field produces oil. This way you don't need to do event coding to have a manpower source. Since you are not making a random map, but a fixed map, you can place these yourself via the editor. Making a picture for the loctype is mildly tricky. This is done via graphic in the modgraphics/natocounters folder, and has a numeric name, e.g., 17.png. Add the picture, with the name 18.png. Then in the LocType/graphics panel, Click on Extragraphic# and enter the number. This graphic must be in the "systemgraphics/natocounters" directory. For the default game this is modgraphics/natocounters. For NewDawn3 it is anewdawnmodgraphics/natocounters. This is set in the "Stng" panel, with the second button on the left: System Gfx.

Now, with even coding, you spice it up a bit. You use a regime variable to be the total population, which gets updated with production of manpower points. You can also make an event card that would give boosts in manpower. Basically, making a call for volunteers, etc.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Yes I think I was halfway through doing this myself when I got your post. Im just one stepp closer to understanding this a bit more. Im glad you mentioned the graphics here as I would not of got that initially.
I think this good way of doing it thanks for your help.
By the way as Graphic 17 is a mine Graphic I would have to make up a differant Graphic for 18 like an urban type graphic?
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Sorry, I wasn't being precise. So, I made it confusing. It looks like the names of all these graphics have numeric names since they are entered in that ExtraGfx# entry. Thus, add the graphic and give it any number name you want, say 18.png, and then enter this number in that entry. It took me awhile to figure this out myself. Note this graphic is placed on top of the map graphics, so it should be a png, which supports transparency. In fact, it probably must be a png based on how it gets assigned. I started a system for random games based on this system. Three levels of manpower for each city loctype. It can work, and it put the manpower on the map without an event. In the end, though, to get flavor and for it to be part of a good design, you'll have to do some event coding.

Unfortunately, you can't use cities themselves since loctypes can't have multiple production tracks. If you use the autoproduction feature, that is what it will make, and nothing else.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

I used graphic number 7 from the pop up window selection then I used #12 from the Modgraphics/natocounters it looks fine as a manpower centre for the province. What I did do is also used the larger provincial towns that can be used as Manpower if the need was urgent.
I played the game briefly and I got the production and manpower going but it didnt accumulate in the gameslot window

Attachments
FranceMan..rPoints.jpg
FranceMan..rPoints.jpg (73.21 KiB) Viewed 144 times
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

And I have to find out why this is not working now, obviously its simple

Attachments
GameslotsNEIC.jpg
GameslotsNEIC.jpg (20.96 KiB) Viewed 153 times
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Im still not been able to get the values from the map up there on the screen for some reason. And I cant get the ideas from other games, its something Im not getting here
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

If you send me the file, I'll take a look at it later today when i get home.... or maybe tomorrow if I am too tired when i get home.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

ok I havent got it as a full file as yet with the graphics. Ill have to get it together.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, I found the error, and it was much as I expected. (Here is a screenshot of the Item part of the editor, looking at 67: Manpower).

RegimeSlotCost: Manpower (0) = 0 Should be changed to No RegimeSlotCost Needed

I am not sure why you have ProdMultiplier: 2 set. This means it will produce 2 manpower for every one, of the item produced.

And now the real problem: IsRegimeSlot: -1 should be IsRegimeSlot: 0

This is the 2nd last line on the screenshot, Basically setting this to 0, tells the ATG engine, that you want it to register this Item, as a RegimeSlot (and that it is number 0 among them).

Attachments
IsRegimeSlot.jpg
IsRegimeSlot.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 144 times
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

All is good thanks.
I new it was simple just to know where
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Hi Claus OR ANYONE!
I am up to creating the Stringlist "Country Drift" is that the amount of drift to or away from each Country Listed?

Also in the Country Data Stringlist I dont understand the Diplomatic weight and Power Points in the spreadsheet!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Yes, that is the amount the countries DRIFT towards each major country. (IF you have an event that uses the stringlist)
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Thanks Claus and Merry Christmas to you and yours
Ok Im going to make a drift List and nearly finished.
The Country Data List how does the Diplomatic weight work? and the Power Points

Also is there a exercise I can do to try and get these events cards right? The making action Cards link here Action Cards going to help me here as this isnt yet my strong point
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Maybe I should write a tutorial on how to use actioncards, stringlists and other stuff... hmm... then again, when am I going to get the time?
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Yeah right I know. But I think it would be useful, as there is a growing number of would be modders out there, that have good ideas but balk at the coding process due to certain aspects that arent as obvious to all. It depends how it is worded, as Im finding the explanation to the Action Card tutorial is a bit ambiguous, or not clear. Its harder sometimes with the written word
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, to be honest action cards require you learn how to code. I can't imagine an action card without the code.

Basically an action card is a way the player can execute a command, that you have scripted.
  • Advanced Tactics Gold

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”