Some various questions

The Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 is a new turn-based, tactical wargame that focuses on conflicts in the Middle East.

Moderator: Jason Petho

Gribeauval

Some various questions

Post by Gribeauval »

Hello, I have some very basic questions about the game (I don't know very well the campaign series).

1) Can the small command report be scrolled ? Sometimes, I can't read some infos in the report because the text is too long.
2) I have generated a random battle. I have chosen a meeting engagement. The victory conditions were : Major defeat 0 point, Minor Defeat 0 point, Minor Victory 0 point and Major victory 0 point.
Is this normal ?
3) Can I load more than one unit in a transport ? I didn't succeed in doing that during my game.
4) Can artillery create rubbles during the game ?
5) When I compare 2D view and 3D view, I have the feeling that some villages are made of rubbles in 3D, but not in 2D.
Is there a specific graphic for rubble in 2D ?
6) Can you call an airstrike against an hexagon that is not spotted ?
7) In the artillery dialog, there is a number like [2] or [4] before the name of the battery. Is this the number of fire missions available ? I could use the artillery unit with the number 4 only against a single hex.
8) I have created a random generated battle at battalion level and I have got several regimental HQs and several battalion HQs. Some of these HQ units didn't have subordinates. Is this normal ?
Jason Petho

RE: Some various questions

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: Gribeauval

Hello, I have some very basic questions about the game (I don't know very well the campaign series).

1) Can the small command report be scrolled ? Sometimes, I can't read some infos in the report because the text is too long.

I don't believe so, no.

2) I have generated a random battle. I have chosen a meeting engagement. The victory conditions were : Major defeat 0 point, Minor Defeat 0 point, Minor Victory 0 point and Major victory 0 point.
Is this normal ?

No, that's not normal. I'll have to look into that.
3) Can I load more than one unit in a transport ? I didn't succeed in doing that during my game.

No, that's impossible
4) Can artillery create rubbles during the game ?

No, not presently.
5) When I compare 2D view and 3D view, I have the feeling that some villages are made of rubbles in 3D, but not in 2D.
Is there a specific graphic for rubble in 2D ?

Yes, there is.
6) Can you call an airstrike against an hexagon that is not spotted ?

No

7) In the artillery dialog, there is a number like [2] or [4] before the name of the battery. Is this the number of fire missions available ? I could use the artillery unit with the number 4 only against a single hex.

It's the number of strenght points in the battery.
8) I have created a random generated battle at battalion level and I have got several regimental HQs and several battalion HQs. Some of these HQ units didn't have subordinates. Is this normal ?

Presently, it is normal.
berto

Post by berto »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Is this normal ?
No, that's not normal. I'll have to look into that.
WAD, I believe. This issue has been raised, and answered, before. (I looked, but I can't find the post for it.)

In random battles, with so many different maps, with so many different units, with so many different objective hexes, with so many different situations and configurations, etc., etc. -- there is simply no coded artificial intelligence -- not that I could write in my lifetime; not even that John Tiller himself could write (see below) -- that could possibly set meaningful victory conditions for random battles. Think about it. It's effectively an impossible problem!

So the code makes no attempt to solve it, it just shows zeroes across the conditions as you describe. You will just have to play the scenario and decide yourself whether you "won" or "lost".

This is an old, long-standing issue, dating all the way back to JTCS 1.00 (and before):

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Gribeauval

Post by Gribeauval »

Thanks for your explanation and for your answers.
I understand that it is difficult to create victory conditions for each new generated battle.
I have two other questions :
9) In this game, unlike the FWWC or PZC of John Tiller, there aren't any supply sources. Why can a unit become isolated ? Because it can't trace a path to its headquarter ?
10) Why are some hidden units shown as a "?" on the map and other hidden units don't appear at all ?

Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

Thanks for your explanation and for your answers.
I understand that it is difficult to create victory conditions for each new generated battle.
I have two other questions :
9) In this game, unlike the FWWC or PZC of John Tiller, there aren't any supply sources. Why can a unit become isolated ? Because it can't trace a path to its headquarter ?

Supply (or Combat Efficiency in the Campaign Series Middle East game) is dealt with the through headquarters of the units. I highly recommend reading Section 3.3 for a very detailed explanation of how it works.
10) Why are some hidden units shown as a "?" on the map and other hidden units don't appear at all ?

With Extreme FOW, while you may see a unit, you may not be able to identify what it is. Each country have different capabilties in identifying opposing units.

Jason Petho
Gribeauval

Post by Gribeauval »

Jason,I may be wrong, but I have readen the section 3-3 of the manual and it doesn't explain what means "isolated". The text refers frequently to non-isolated units, but there aren't any explanation of the term.
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

An isolated unit cannot trace a path back it's parent (or their parent) Headquarters. It will not be able to regain ammo while isolated, which will have the same affects as:
If a combat unit is Conserving Ammo, Direct Fire attacks will only attack a number of times equal to its Strength Points divided by two, fractions rounded up. Normally, a combat unit while in full Combat Efficiency is allowed the number of attacks equal to the number of Strength Points it has. A combat unit that assaults when Conserving Ammo will do so at 75% effectiveness.
Crossroads

Post by Crossroads »

Another reason for this might be the enemy unit is not spotted by a friendly combat unit, but by an unarmed transport unit."Somethings out there, Sir!"
Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 < Available now
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 < 3.0 In the works

Return to “Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985”