Modern War Mod

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

Modern War Mod

Post by GaryChildress »

So I have kind of gone ahead and started working on a mod, which I hope to use as a template for random games. The mod will feature modern weapons systems. Plus I hope to make a few twists and tweaks to locations types and such to make things uniquely interesting.

First off is the tech tree I've been working on. Subformations such as Rifle, Engineers, Staff, Jeep, Truck, Tractor Trailer (instead of trains), Transport Ship and Fast Attack Craft will be "stone age", tech level 0 items. Then comes tech level 1 through 4 for all other subformations. There are basically two types of techs, differentiated only by the fact that one type of tech enables units and the other is sort of a general research item required to get to other tech levels. For example (shown on the chart), you must research "Heavy Weapons" before you are able to research "HMGs", "RR (recoilless rifles) and "Mortars". Or you can skip researching those items and go straight to "Heavy Artillery" or "Mechanized Heavy Weapons" after researching "Heavy Weapons".

Attachments
Techs.gif
Techs.gif (46.21 KiB) Viewed 129 times
danlongman

RE: Modern War Mod

Post by danlongman »

Go Gary Go!!
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks. It'll take me a while but it'll be fun. [:)]
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

I assume this is for multiplayer. The AI will not (as far as I am told) research stuff that results in no Subformation
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Yikes! Actually I was hoping to create a single player game that could be played via the random game generator. Thanks for the head's up! I suppose I could just make it so that the main tech allows all subformations under it, instead of having to research them individually.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Well, that's how the AI evaulates the techs. If it results in something then that is what it takes into account...

Of course you can always script the AI research, as I have done for the new and upcoming 2nd Civil War scenario I was hoping to publish sometime this year... but it's not too easy.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

I want to avoid scripting as much as possible as I'm not familiar with coding for the game, although I suppose somewhere along the line I'll need to figure it out as best I'm able. Probably unavoidable.

GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Have an idea I'd like to try to implement if I can figure out how to clear cities from the random game generation; as Ormand was talking about in another thread. I want to create a system where both the AI and the player can build  "colonies" instead of factories and colonies would be upgradable to "towns" and then "cities" and then "Metropolis". Manpower points would be used to create and upgrade colonies. I'm just sort of worried about setting the AI to be able to build location types "free". Might get out of hand. So another thing I would need to determine is a way to limit colony creation a little bit. I suppose simply setting the "distances" to 8 hexes or so might help.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Another feature I want to work on is fire support bases which will double as airfields and fortresses. I will have para engineers who will be able to para drop behind enemy lines and construct FSBs. As airfields FSBs will have a very low a/c stack rate. Helicopters will have relatively low stack points compared to fixed wing a/c and therefore I may make it so that only helicopters will be able to operate from FSBs.
plumbean

Post by plumbean »

that look really good

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”