Packaging Scenarios

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

gazfun

Packaging Scenarios

Post by gazfun »

The Thread in Mods and scenarios "Tutorial on packaging user made scenarios" is this still relevant for ATG?
I note using the packaging atzip files in the editor, but the issue I cant see the current scenario I am making to do that.
gazfun

RE: Packaging Scenarios

Post by gazfun »

Its disappointing this is not really handled properly. To make it 100% fool proof for Mod Designer and End User alike.
I mean there should be actual programs around that people use with confidence to be able to install some of the Mods here. http://www.advancedtactics.org/scenariobank.php
I just tried installing the Mod GoT1 (Game of Thrones) although the graphics folders have been put in place I still cant run the game without errors, which doesnt have the four seasons weather mods for example and there are 5 or 6 mods. This is a big leap of faith with so many things to download. especially if you didnt know that these where suppose to be used in the scenario.
The mods looks good from a designers point of view, but a person who just want to be a player only can be a turn off for them.
I think people who are extremely confidant can sometimes run into difficulties. Let alone someone who is not. All thats got to happen with these people is that they fail to install 2 or 3 times and people give up trying. Thats not good for the software one bit.
We have had a few cases in the past, where people have used the ATGunzip button in the game and they still dont get a good install or not at all.
Designers have to remember that they think that they talk the same language as everyone else, about file handling, it can be problematic for the vast majority of playing only enthusiasts believe it or not. All people want to do is play the game, not play with file handling.
All people want to do is press the install button on a installation program. And play the Mod not play Russian rootlet on the chance they got it right.
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

Sorry for late response, since it is mine; I asm traveling yet again.

A problem with FourSeasons is that it is VERY large, a complete rework of all the base map graphics, as well as some units, etc. And the web page only supports files that are max 10 MB. Thus, it is in several parts. The parts should all install via the atzip feature, but you have to do each and every one separately. Then the GoT would also be installed via the atzip feature as well.

I believe that I got that to work with the atzip feature.

Now, I have made several fixes to the FourSeasons package, and actually put it on dropbox, which I mentioned in a thread (Including the BIG graphics, this is about 140 MB of files) There were several bugs that I just didn't catch, and not sure how they came about. For example, somehow the officer action cards got messed up even though I did not edit a single one of them. I have not updated the GoT scenario with the newest FourSeasons, and I made changes to FourSeasons that would break GoT. Basically, I changed the directories where the SFT's are, and the NATO counters. I will fix this this weekend, and upload an atzip file. I will also put an atzip file on dropbox and repost the link. My understanding is that with the link, you can download, but you may have to register with dropbox to do this. The dropbox approach is better since it gets all the graphics, including BIG, which are much better than the game generated versions from normal graphics. The scenario will be put on the usual site since it is just one file.

The GoT scenario is essentially a large map of the GoT world with all the families as regimes and using, I believe the divisions version of FourSeasons. This has different sized units than vanilla. Basically, I tried to make things in multiples of three, like mosyt military units. The goal, like a random game is get enough victory points to be declared winner. Officers are generated from names in the books allied to each major family, but the pictures are the ATG defaults. In playing I found that House Stark generally didn't war declared on it for some reason. Probably because the Wildlings feared the fortresses that were set up as the Wall. Everyone else went at it.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
gazfun

Post by gazfun »

Ok thanks
Is this game a WW2 technology or is it Ancient, or Medievel?
Vic

Post by Vic »

Its possible to omit the BIG hex graphics to save space. They will be generated automaticly for the end-user. This probably will cut the size of your file pack to 25%. You'll lose some resolution, but you could call it the Light version.

Also I upped the maximum upload somewhat to 25 MB.

best wishes,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

That is the original packaging on the site, just standard graphics. The increased file size will help. It seems that standard graphics is now 44 MB, which would take two slots instead of the five it was before. I'll try to get this up this weekend, along with fixing GoT to use the newer core files. With the TOE option and the 3D-model SFT's it made sense to reorganize the graphic structure, especially the NTO counters.
One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork -- Edward Abbey
Ormand

Post by Ormand »

OK, I think I have fixed most things. The site and my computer disagree on the size of the files, so they had to be packaged in three atzip files (sorry - my computer says that with two, they would 24.5 MB each, but when they get to the site they > 25). Anyway, you must download the three graphics atzip files and install ALL three with the automatic installer. Then you can download the scenario files: Four Seasons Scenario Files (under the graphic mods tag) and Random GoT (under the Strategic tag). These are all atzip files, and are installed with the internal engine. Hopefully it will all work, and there are not many small bugs left. When you load one of the scenarios for the first time, it will take a few minutes to load. This is because the game is building all the BIG and SMALL graphics. This will take a little while, so let it do its thing. After this, it will load in a reasonable time.

An alternative to downloading the three files on the site is a dropbox file that contains the entire Four Seasons Graphics package. It is only the graphics, you still need to download and install the scenario files. The only advantage to the dropbox is that you get the higher resolution BIG graphics and it will load the first time quicker. It is 196 MB in total.

edit: I forgot the dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m04pvh3t81yk5 ... atzip?dl=0
In principle, with this link you can get it without being shared to the directory.

If problems arise, let me know.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”