Mid game Equipment file update?

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

governato

Mid game Equipment file update?

Post by governato »

can one update the eqp file mid-PBEM game? Like weapon's AT/AP/Df values etc.

ogar

RE: Mid game Equipment file update?

Post by ogar »

Dammit ! I'm still busy working through the implications of your last good idea... (double checking the manual's example of AT vs armor, especially infantry-AT vs armor).

As far as swapping eqp, I do not think so. You could do it manually, of course, simply loading the newer .eqp as of turn 27 or so..., but I do not know of a way to have the engine (or .sce) trigger a call for a simple .bat to do that. (? Maybe somebody who really knows this engine and MS software might have suggestions.) I think there would also be the "Playing with the wrong .eqp file" message to deal with, once your 1914 cavalry regiments are upgraded to BMPs and BTRs, and, of course, how to get this to happen in PBEM.

Strangely enough, I was wondering recently about how to, or even if it's possible, to load a second .evt file during a game. (Yes, I know the events are stored inside the .sce, but I was wondering if a call could be made to read a second .evt file which would be external to the .sce.)
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: ogar

Dammit ! I'm still busy working through the implications of your last good idea... (double checking the manual's example of AT vs armor, especially infantry-AT vs armor).

As far as swapping eqp, I do not think so. You could do it manually, of course, simply loading the newer .eqp as of turn 27 or so..., but I do not know of a way to have the engine (or .sce) trigger a call for a simple .bat to do that. (? Maybe somebody who really knows this engine and MS software might have suggestions.) I think there would also be the "Playing with the wrong .eqp file" message to deal with, once your 1914 cavalry regiments are upgraded to BMPs and BTRs, and, of course, how to get this to happen in PBEM.

Strangely enough, I was wondering recently about how to, or even if it's possible, to load a second .evt file during a game. (Yes, I know the events are stored inside the .sce, but I was wondering if a call could be made to read a second .evt file which would be external to the .sce.)

Are you sure one can change the eqp file mid game? is it read in every turn? have you tried? :)

I have done a lot of AT tests, with useful results, I just need to re do them in TOAW III so I can talk about them ;-)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

ORIGINAL: governato

You mean to fix an improper value?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

ORIGINAL: governato

You mean to fix an improper value?

well to change any value in the equipment file mid game.

Aaand, it appears that it is indeed possible to edit the .eqp file mid game in TOAWIII

-1 played a couple turns H2H
-2 saved (at the beginning of first player turn) and closed game.
- replaced the .eqp file with one edited (T34 and KV1s had armor decreased by one, sappers and pioneers had AT values increased by one)
- restarted TOAW, loaded saved file. The game warned me once that 'you are playing with the wrong .eqp file'

....and it works! When I check in the replacements window the T34s and KV1s have their armor values decreased, pioneers and sappers have their AT values increased. No side effects, the patient seems to have survived surgery and seems healthy....

I need to do more tests and try PBEM, but this is interesting as one could apply eqp files updates to ongoing games.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

Of course, then you will no longer have that protection against someone cheating along those lines.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
governato

Post by governato »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

Of course, then you will no longer have that protection against someone cheating along those lines.

the game tells 'you are using the wrong eqp file' when you switch and also 'your opponent and/or you may not have a legit version of TOAW' in PBEM
So the change is pretty evident.

I think that for long games (yeah those East Front scenarios :)) that may last 1+ year of real H2H time this is great. It allows the designers to 1) issue updates for ongoing games, 2) test scenarios 3) could even be used to model seasonal changes, weapon upgrades...

Bob do you know when the eqp file is read during a turn?

Return to “Scenario Design”