Prelude to a Comeuppance, 1982 - UPDATED

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Rory Noonan

Prelude to a Comeuppance, 1982 - UPDATED

Post by Rory Noonan »

Hello all,

Attached is my first publicly released scenario. It's based on the surveillance operations of UK SSNs in the South Atlantic prior to Operation Corporate, the re-taking of the Falklands and South Georgia.

I'd love some feedback from other players, as this is the first time I've managed to complete a full scenario and have it ready for play.

[center]Image[/center]

South Atlantic Ocean,
19 April 1982

Playable side: United Kingdom

Following the Argentinian invasion of the Falkland Islands and South Georgia in early April 1982, the government of the United Kingdom dispatched three nuclear attack submarines of the Royal Navy to conduct surveillance operations in preparation for the arrival of Task Force 317.

Your mission, as commander of the submarine force, is to conduct covert surveillance of shipping in the area and insert special forces onto South Georgia.

Historical Outcome
HMS Conqueror landed SBS troops ashore at South Georgia, HMS Spartan conducted reconaissance off the Falkland islands, and HMS Splendid conducted patrols to the north of the Falklands.

Updated 30 JAN with v1.2
Attachments
Prelude to..1982 1.3.zip
(34.71 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
skjold89

RE: New Scen - Prelude to a Comeuppance, 1982

Post by skjold89 »

I just finished it, please note that my weakest point is anything submarine related. I ended with -140 points becouse of one of my submarines got detected. I spotted 7 Argentian boats and ships, zero losses and i'm not sure the SBS reaching shore event was fired, might have missed it however. (It told me to wait 1 hour on station for them to reach to shore, assumed there would be a message). The one suggestion i have is to add some civilian traffic maybe, both in the air and on the seas.

Seems like a nice submarine operations mission.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Hey Skjold,

Thanks for taking the time to play and give some feedback. I ran through the scen again, the SBS event does fire and a message is displayed as well as a controllable inf section being created on the island that you can use to spot anything in the harbour near Grytviken. I noticed that if you don't either set a course and speed to remain inside the DZ box for 1 hour or set speed to 'stop', the sub will continue on at previous speed and likely leave the DZ before the hour is up.

As for civilian traffic, the UK declared an exclusion zone around the Falklands on 12 April (7 days before the scen date) and this pretty much cleared out what little commercial traffic there would normally be in that lonely corner of the Atlantic. I will look into adding some biologicals and perhaps some civilian air traffic skirting around the exclusion zone. Thanks for the suggestion!

Did you get any messages about the Argentine carrier or unusual activity near the entrance to Port Stanley?
skjold89

Post by skjold89 »

ORIGINAL: apache85

Hey Skjold,

Thanks for taking the time to play and give some feedback. I ran through the scen again, the SBS event does fire and a message is displayed as well as a controllable inf section being created on the island that you can use to spot anything in the harbour near Grytviken. I noticed that if you don't either set a course and speed to remain inside the DZ box for 1 hour or set speed to 'stop', the sub will continue on at previous speed and likely leave the DZ before the hour is up.

As for civilian traffic, the UK declared an exclusion zone around the Falklands on 12 April (7 days before the scen date) and this pretty much cleared out what little commercial traffic there would normally be in that lonely corner of the Atlantic. I will look into adding some biologicals and perhaps some civilian air traffic skirting around the exclusion zone. Thanks for the suggestion!

Did you get any messages about the Argentine carrier or unusual activity near the entrance to Port Stanley?

Yeah SBS event works as intended, it was me that got it backwards and thought they were landing around Port Stanley, my bad. In both my play throughs i got the "splashes" in port stanley but i couldn't figure out what is causing it and on my second playthrough i found the argentinian carrier but did not have enough time to reach it. I noticed that a Tank Landing Ship has some sort of patrol routine next to Port Stanley, is that intended?

-10 points on second playthrough, one submarine detected again.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

The LST is indeed up to something at the mouth of Port Stanley. If Spartan gets close enough you'll know what they're up to.

The carrier group is meant to be a tough nut to crack. The captain of Splendid apparently claimed that they had the carrier in sight at one point, but this is not confirmed in the official record. There is a glut of points available if you can manage to get within 1nm of the stern of the carrier and stay there for 15 mins.

I dare say it is Splendid being detected--the Argentine air ASW assets have MAD gear and I think I may need to move the starting position a little in order to make it a little easier. That said, you can still score quite well by focusing on putting the SBS ashore and doing some conservative recon around Stanley.
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Nice sub scenario. The only thing is, I got detection event every time I re-discovered the same ship. This naturally happens if I turn my back to someone distant, due to sonar detection area shape, and I'm not sure if it is intended or if it can even be fixed (so the event fires only once per ship). For quick demonstration, you can drop the ship contact with P key immediately once it has been detected, it will be detected again, and you will score again for the same ship.

On a later thought, if I'm supposed to score some extra for detecting a carrier specifically, that did not really work in my case, the carrier got counted just as the regular ship. I had it classified as CV, but not identified though.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. I checked the points allocation for detecting the CV, you should have gotten 50 + the standard 10 for detecting a surface contact. I've re-done the 'detect anything on the surface, get 10 points every time' behaviour so now you'll only get the points once for each individual ship.

As for the pop-up messages, do you like them? Are they helpful? Is there anything that needs/doesn't need a pop-up?

File above updated to v1.1

1.1 Changes
Added datum for last known position of CV group from US satellite intel
Amended title and description
Reduced rain from 'heavy' to 'moderate' to improve detection ranges
De-selected some ref points and changed initial map view
Changed time to correct date
Added new events to specify which friendly unit has been detected rather than generic 'we've been detected'.
Added new events to ensure that detection of a surface vessel can only occur once per vessel (Thanks AlexGGGG)
Moved Santa Fe to increase likelihood of encounter
Reduced number of available aircraft on Argentine carrier
Changed Argentine airborne ASW activity
Argentine helo ASW strike mission changed to avoid chasing distant contacts

Planned changes
Addition of randomly selected and placed biologics/false contacts (Thanks Skjold)
Maybe add a small level of randomness for starting positions and weather to improve replayability
AlexGGGG

Post by AlexGGGG »

Played it again, looks great to me.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

V 1.2 Changes
Updated events with new 'detection level' functionality; now you must classify the type to be awarded points.
Updated minelayer event with new 'detection level' functionality, doing away with previous 'remains in area' trigger. Now a precise ID is required.
Added image to scenario description
Updated SSN detection events, now the Argentines must classify the contact as an SSN before UK loses points
Added randomly generated and placed false contacts/whales (Thanks Skjold, I finally got around to it)
cns180784

Post by cns180784 »

Makes sense to play this before playing good morning malvinas, makes the scenarios linked into a mini campaign, looking forward to playing these.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

That's the plan [;)]

Once I'm happy with Good Morning Malvinas I'm planning to do another scenario set in between the two, based on the re-taking of South Georgia.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”