WS_AS The Butcher's Bill

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

RangerX3X

WS_AS The Butcher's Bill

Post by RangerX3X »

This is my first scenario for the game, and it is designed to be played as the Warsaw Pact. I am posting it here for any feedback that users may decide to provide.

The basic premise is a Red Army MRR is ordered to a town to hold for further orders in a much larger engagement when they encounter an American force that is already there. Instead of properly evaluating the situation before them, the force is ordered to secure the area before noon.

Thanks in advance for playing and any for any feedback that you care to provide.

WS_AS The Butcher's Bill

CapnDarwin

RE: WS_AS The Butcher's Bill

Post by CapnDarwin »

RangerX3X, thanks for sharing the scenario! [&o]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

Ranger,

nice scenario, a bit on the easy side but fun, interesting to see a spooky in a scenario

Suggestions:
downgrade the 2S7M to something a bit smaller - 2S1 would be the normal found at regimental level - 2S7's are tank killers, this is really a game breaker

there is a blank hex (grid 3602 - not sure how the game let you save the scenario with a unit on a blank hex rather than a red setup hex

you may want to look at setting some of the US forces to "inactive until triggered", the AI isn't great at defensive actions, it will tend to clump on and around VPs which can hamper its LOS and it ignores improved positions to clump around VPs. Setting them to inactive means the unit will stay where you placed it until an enemy unit comes into LOS, it will then start firing and moving

I'd give the US some arty, 1 or 2 bty of M109 off map will cause enough problems
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
kipanderson

Post by kipanderson »

RangerX3X,

Thanks.. Look forward to giving it a go..

All the best,
Kip.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

ORIGINAL: Tazak

Ranger,

1) nice scenario, a bit on the easy side but fun, interesting to see a spooky in a scenario

Suggestions:
2) downgrade the 2S7M to something a bit smaller - 2S1 would be the normal found at regimental level - 2S7's are tank killers, this is really a game breaker

3) there is a blank hex (grid 3602 - not sure how the game let you save the scenario with a unit on a blank hex rather than a red setup hex

4) you may want to look at setting some of the US forces to "inactive until triggered", the AI isn't great at defensive actions, it will tend to clump on and around VPs which can hamper its LOS and it ignores improved positions to clump around VPs. Setting them to inactive means the unit will stay where you placed it until an enemy unit comes into LOS, it will then start firing and moving

5) I'd give the US some arty, 1 or 2 bty of M109 off map will cause enough problems
Thank you very much for play testing this and providing your input.

1) May I ask what your percentage of starting forces was when the scenario was finished?

2) I am somewhat confused by this suggestion: I am using the Soviet (1979-1989) template (not User) and that piece of equipment was the default for the formation that I chose...I only updated the tank from a T-10 to the T-72. Does this mean that the organic artillery piece is not correct in the template?

3) Hex 3502 - yes you are correct: this has been resolved.

4) I was completely unaware of this phenomenon and have made several adjustments.

5) I added one battery (6XM109A2) and will monitor to see how it shapes the battle.

I am play testing the changes now and will post an updated file as soon as I can.

RangerX3X

Version 1.7 now available!

Post by RangerX3X »

I actually like the changes as it makes for a tougher nut to crack, sort of a “Two Bridges Too Far” scenario for the Soviets, but I am sure your mileage will vary based upon how the forces are employed.

As always feedback is welcome!

WS_AS The Butcher's Bill

Tazak

Post by Tazak »

ORIGINAL: RangerX3X

Thank you very much for play testing this and providing your input.

1) May I ask what your percentage of starting forces was when the scenario was finished?

2) I am somewhat confused by this suggestion: I am using the Soviet (1979-1989) template (not User) and that piece of equipment was the default for the formation that I chose...I only updated the tank from a T-10 to the T-72. Does this mean that the organic artillery piece is not correct in the template?

3) Hex 3502 - yes you are correct: this has been resolved.

4) I was completely unaware of this phenomenon and have made several adjustments.

5) I added one battery (6XM109A2) and will monitor to see how it shapes the battle.

I am play testing the changes now and will post an updated file as soon as I can.

1. think I have somewhere in the region of +75% of my force, looking at your latest screen shot my tactics weren't that different to yours, 1 mech Bn (supported by a tank bn reinforcement) holding the center axis, then 2 flanking moves of 1 mech Bn and 1 tank bn each going for the depth positions, it was really the 2S7's that killed more tanks than the entire force put together.

2. No the scenario editor doesn't select common formation equipment, you can select different vehicles and equipment as you require, you'll need to do some research on soviet formations and then select the appropriate equipment, as an example the force in this scenario is more in line with 'soviets forces in Poland' or 'cat B' formation, (there's nothing wrong with what you have chosen), a few of the community have produced user data sheets with different selections of equipment that you may want to look at and use (look for my WGSF data sheet as an example)

4. 1 trick I do when creating a scenario is to change the settings (remove FOW from the player side) so I can see what the AI is doing and then change the AI setup until it starts behaving as I want, then I turn FOW back on and play 'blind' - PS. other players will have different tactics to yours so expect players to try something you haven't planned for [&:], I've a few other tips if your interested drop me a PM.

Glad to hear that the suggestions have worked out well, I'll give your revised scenario a play through tonight once I get home.
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
Tazak

Post by Tazak »

That's a lot rougher, just about managed a marginal victory using the same 2 flanking attacks [:)]
AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

RangerX3X,

thanks for the nice (and small) scenario. Really appreciated the briefing, with decent info on the enemy in FPG style.

I achieved an 59% marginal success on first play, declining the Sudden Death option (when US forces were reduced to less than 20%), capturing 4th objective with 15mins to go, and seeing 10 T-72BMs being lit up in the last minute. The US forces kept controlling the fifth objective. I played with limited orders.

Running into obstacles and mines everywhere hurts, and might make a 2nd attempt somewhat easier. I'll definitely use my recon differently next time.

William
William
On Target Simulations LLC
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

Thank you very much for the feedback and I am glad that you enjoyed the scenario.
Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

Thanks for the scenario, Ranger.

Some highlights from my playthrough [;)]

Intimidating as it is, the AC-130's not very effective against a conventional army...

Alas, poor Abrams, caught between a rock and a hard place.

Game ends with 69%. Probably could have gone for more, but I didn't want to chance it with the poor weather.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

Thanks for the feedback. I was on the fence about using the AC-130 versus other common air support assets. Now that the 2.0.10 update is out I am taking a second look at this scenario for some possible tweaking.
RangerX3X

Post by RangerX3X »

My recent effort in testing it was a 60% Marginal Success rating with forces at 44% of starting, while seizing all but the southernmost Victory Point objective worth 500 points.

In testing, the addition of helicopter support proved to be more appropriate for the NATO force and I believe it did positively affect the playability of the scenario. The link has been updated to a new build.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

Thanks for this scenario!

Full of lethal surprises, and I haven't been that frustrated in a while....it was great!

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”