The Engine for DW2

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Cruis.In

The Engine for DW2

Post by Cruis.In »

Elliot might want to look into the Nitrous engine, by Oxide.

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h875xQcVD88
Kayoz

RE: The Engine for DW2

Post by Kayoz »

I don't see what's so impressive with this engine. The only real selling points seem to be:

1. DirectX12 - which will be supported in all game dev engines anyhow. The performance gains of using DX12 over 11 remain to be seen. Oh, and it only applies to Win10 customers. How significant a market share Win10 has is something for the numbers bods to examine.

2. Portability - Writing a game using an engine that ONLY addresses the desktop market seems unwise to me. You're ignoring all the OSX and Linux customers, and won't have any option to port it to consoles (without a complete re-write).

3. MMO support - you can do this with other engines. Nothing new here. I admit that this is a very deep rabbit hole which I've only poked at the entrance of, but I fail to see how it's a significant selling point; much less how it's relevant to DW development. While the engine can help with some aspects, creative coding and careful design seem to be a FAR more important aspect than the engine. Having MMO support in the game engine itself implies to me that you're going to be forced down some development paths, whether you want to or not. How well they've done it, at this point is very much in question.

4. performance - seems unremarkable. Given that Ashes of Singularity is made by the engine developer to showcase the engine, it's not a terribly impressive demonstration. Maybe I expect too much, but the previews seem rather "meh".

"The Nitrous engine is already in use for two games currently in production: an unannounced title from Oxide Games and Stardock’s Star Control reboot. Nitrous is also available for licensing to interested game developers."
Wow. Two games. One from the engine developer - so that makes HOW MANY games being developed outside of the company developing the engine? One? Impressive. Really.

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but how many actual released games are out there using this engine? I'm not dissing Oxide here, so much as questioning the wisdom of investing the time and resources into development using an entirely unproven engine.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
SirHoraceHarkness

Post by SirHoraceHarkness »

I'd rather the devs take a little more time and build a custom engine that exactly meets their needs instead of trying to shoehorn the game into a preexisting engine. Besides it's almost certain to be a 2d sprite based presentation again so no need for fancy dx12. This isn't to say you can't use dx effects but it will be simple stuff like glow for lasers with particles and smoke for explosions etc which even dx7 supported. As to the nitrous engine itself it seems decent enough if you need a solid well rounded engine to make a mainstream game like an mmo or shooter or moba etc.
Intel i9 11900k all core oc@5.3 - 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 DDR4 CL16 - EVGA RTX 3090 24gb FTW3 Ultra - MSI Z490 A-PRO Mobo
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

Custom engines take years to build from the ground up.
Cruis.In

Post by Cruis.In »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elzpPFg8O_Q

the amount of units, at the graphical quality and good frames is what I'm looking at, since DW needs an engine which can support tracking thousands of objects in real time.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

He is possibly a year into development already.The engine is already decided.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

I would much rather sacrifice graphical quality for something that will also support OS X and/or Linux. Windows 10 is a non-starter for me. That being said, even if DW2 is Windows-only, I'm still getting it. The DW series alone is good enough for me to justify keeping Windows around, but it'll be Windows 7.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness

I'd rather the devs take a little more time and build a custom engine that exactly meets their needs instead of trying to shoehorn the game into a preexisting engine.

Eep. That's an enormously deep rabbit hole. It can be more efficient - or a lot worse if you get things wrong. I think it's a cost-benefit question. How much time do you save by using someone else's engine vs the time required to minimize the inefficiencies inherent in the engine? You have to factor in the fact that the engine developers have quite a few people working on optimizing it. Why not take advantage of their work?

Developing a custom engine will require at least 6 months of work from a medium sized development team. I don't think it's the sort of budget Matrix would be comfortable with.

This is, of course, ignoring cross-platform development. The financial incentives for Matrix to release DW2 on multiple platforms are probably very appealing. To do this from scratch - erkk... I'm not touching that with YOUR barge pole.
ORIGINAL: SirHoraceHarkness
As to the nitrous engine itself it seems decent enough if you need a solid well rounded engine to make a mainstream game like an mmo or shooter or moba etc.

Key word there: seems

Unknown at the moment. The Nitrous engine is unproven. No released games by which to make any judgments.

*edit*
ORIGINAL: Cruis.In

Custom engines take years to build from the ground up.

Wot he said. I estimated a 6 month minimum. But it's like asking how long a piece of string is. The inevitable answer is: Yes.

More money and bodies you throw at it, the less time it takes. Though be aware of diminishing returns. Double the manpower doesn't mean half the development time... if only managers understood this. *sigh*
Attachments
dilbert_dumb_manager.gif
dilbert_dumb_manager.gif (42.32 KiB) Viewed 134 times
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”