3 tips

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Cruis.In

3 tips

Post by Cruis.In »

Hey if you can list three tips for growing your empire economically do so.

I'm starting a new game, haven't played in a while, I wonder what the best thinking is.

People say keep taxes low at first, to build private sector, and let them buy ships so you have big private sector.

Don't build large startports until certain level of pop.

Anything else?
Cruis.In

RE: 3 tips

Post by Cruis.In »

Ok that was fun, started a new game, very hard, restless, playing as boskarans...got attacked in the first 20 minutes by Ikkurans and Mortalens, they hate Boskies or something? Had a fleet of 15, but they brought 30 ships, and that's it, who gets attacked so early in the game?

So lesson playing Boskarans....keep a large fleet always? Never been attacked in game like that before, but I've usually played humans. I've always used to play on extreme/chaos and still only wars happened mid-late game...
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Everyone mostly hate each other at first meet. It is the "weird guys" effect that disappears after a while.

Ikurro and Mortalen should otherwise hate the Boskara quite a lot, only insects like insects. As for not getting attacked, it probably helps to look powerful. If you are powerful enough, they won't attack you no matter how much they hate you.
RemoteLeg

Post by RemoteLeg »

My three tips:

1) Keep colony tax at zero as long as you can to grow your colony. Going into debt is fine and running a deficit can be advantageous when the pirates demand tribute.

2) Build good relationships by allowing military refueling rights in your territory, especially early when it doesn't mean a lot. Friendly relations lead to trade and that means money. Offer refueling to everybody - you can take it away later.

3) Mining is key. Monitor what resources you lack and go after them aggressively. Start building up those stockpiles for when you need them later.
See my Distant Worlds tutorial videos here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... VfLtaT9Y81

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”