Routing issues

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

cato12

Routing issues

Post by cato12 »

Im sure this has been brought up before but ive only started playing WITW properly in the last few weeks so here goes.

playing the BI scenario as the allies ive captured all of Sicily except messina and trapani.

ive isolated 3 units in the port of trapani and ive had an anphib task force next to port for several turns yet when I attacked these units they routed inland.

I cant figure out how they could've routed so its either a bug or some game mechanic im not understanding. ive got my save game from turn 6 where they are clearly isolated. ive attached a screenshot from turn 7 which shows them routing.

Whats gives?
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (553.08 KiB) Viewed 87 times
RedLancer

RE: Routing issues

Post by RedLancer »

I expect that you didn't isolate the port enough and an element of supply could be traced. Post a save in the bug area and we can have a look.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
VI66_slith

Post by VI66_slith »

It seems the surrender/destroy of units during my games is limited to around 50% with the +/- going heavy to the route instead of destruction/surrender. This happens in completely land locked locations while enemy units are completely surrounded. I thought this was the designer intent, no?
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton
cato12

Post by cato12 »

Pretty sure it was isolated from turn 4 or 5 which is why I ended up saving my game on turn 6 to see what was going on.

il post in the tech forum.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

It seems the surrender/destroy of units during my games is limited to around 50% with the +/- going heavy to the route instead of destruction/surrender. This happens in completely land locked locations while enemy units are completely surrounded. I thought this was the designer intent, no?

If you isolate a unit during the turn (cutting them off or surrounding them), they will rout when they are forced to retreat during that same turn.
If you isolate a unit during the turn they will surrender if forced to retreat the next turn.

Also, if units are in isolated status because you've cut off their supply trace to a national supply source (e.g. naval interdiction isolates the beaches) they will surrender instead of retreat. Temporary depots created by amhpib invasions are considered national supply sources for this rule, that's why it is important not to release your attendant TF until you're confident of the invasion's supply lines.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
VI66_slith

Post by VI66_slith »

Cleared that up thanks.
"Many, who should know better, think that wars can be decided by soulless machines, rather than by the blood and anguish of brave men." ~Patton

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”