Bad Dad?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jamesjohns

Bad Dad?

Post by jamesjohns »

I'm playing WITP AE, my 11 year old son asks what I'm doing and wants to try it.......I let him...........he wants to play it again.......

I just started him down a path of darkness......a path of hundreds of hours of wasted time and money commanding electronic battleships and fighter squadrons to do his bidding.....I feel like a bad dad because my first thought was, wow, he wants to play a real wargame that requires brains not reflexes.....my second thought, yes I have a new opponent!

[:-] I am a bad father, my wife doesn't know yet, but I am in serious trouble[;)]

Good news, I have a chance to beat him. His plan is to launch everything that floats, yes even AK's because they have machine guns you know, to attack the "enemy base" Tokyo in April 1942.

In fairness I got Tactics II when I was 12 and played it nonstop, lead to hundreds of hours wasted commanding Panzer Armies and Paratrooper Squads in Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich, PanzerBlitz, Squad Leader, and on and on....
Feltan

RE: Bad Dad?

Post by Feltan »

This isn't bad parenting.

This is carrying on tradition. Something totally different. Your wife might not understand, but all of us do. :-)

Regards,
Feltan

P.S. Besides the pending attack on Tokyo with AK's et. al. will build character and humility as it did for all of us at that age.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Cool! [8D]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Atta boy! Be sure to beat him soundly while you still can! [:D]
zuluhour

Post by zuluhour »

I still have my tactics II (squares, not hexes) except I lost the atomic weapons card. Now that made for a shorter game!
jamesjohns

Post by jamesjohns »

Tactics II with squares, same here! Lent it to a guy in college years ago, never got it back really wish I had it again great first wargame
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Now you know why I never had kids! I didn't want them to walk down this dark path...
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

My dad would beat my brother and I at chess, until he couldn't anymore. I was never much good at it but I could beat my father and defeated my brother once or twice. He went on to get a rating in the international chess whatever thingie of between 1900 and 2000, and beat a couple of grandmasters on different occasions. My brother invented something that got called the Lambert's Gambit, which if I recall correctly was a response to the Bishop's Opening. That happened to be my opening of choice. I was greatly embarrassed when at a high school tournament I was beaten and afterward my opponent said he used the "Lambert's Gambit". I asked him if he had noticed what my name was, then explained it to him. [:@]

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

My dad would beat my brother and I at chess, until he couldn't anymore. I was never much good at it but I could beat my father and defeated my brother once or twice. He went on to get a rating in the international chess whatever thingie of between 1900 and 2000, and beat a couple of grandmasters on different occasions. My brother invented something that got called the Lambert's Gambit, which if I recall correctly was a response to the Bishop's Opening. That happened to be my opening of choice. I was greatly embarrassed when at a high school tournament I was beaten and afterward my opponent said he used the "Lambert's Gambit". I asked him if he had noticed what my name was, then explained it to him. [:@]
You should have just eaten him. The rest of your opponents would have let you win. [:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Tactics II with squares here, too!
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Well, I ate something. I think there were black feathers involved.

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Back to my superior sibling, he started collecting chess sets while a teenager and his collection was rather impressive. He had the usual stuff like an onyx set among many others. But the best ones, I think, included the teak/ebony set which was awesome. He also had a jade set where the kings were about 8" tall. The best, I think, was made out of resin, kind of like meerschaum with a leather board. The pawns were all legendary characters (Japanese) with samurai swords and the like.

I forgot, he had a set made of ivory which would probably be illegal now, maybe then, I'm not sure. I think it had an African theme, Zulus or other Bantus, maybe some Watusi.

bush

Post by bush »

I have two daughters and neither of them seemed to know what I was talking about when I mentioned what I was spending so many hours on. I think one of them may have a clue now, but it would not hold her. My wife and both girls are impressed by what I do with my leisure time - but they would never embrace it.
Jellicoe

Post by Jellicoe »

Having children was part of the plan to grow my own opponent. Made slightly harder by the fact I have a daughter. A few more years before the plan reaches maturity, although she does know who Admiral Jellicoe was....
LeeChard

Post by LeeChard »

Don't forget, once you've soundly defeated the young lad you must present him with a trophy so his fragile ego
doesn't take a hit [8|]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

My dad and I began playing chess when I was about eight years old. He thrashed me each game for years. Then, one day, I beat him. It brough tears to my eyes. I felt bad about beating my father.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Panther Bait

Post by Panther Bait »

When he was 4, my oldest son saw some of my Naval Reference Books (Naval Institute Press type books) on the shelf and loves anything mechanical. We've taken him and his younger brother to see the submarine Albacore in Portsmouth, NH and Battleship Cove in Massachusetts (which according to him still ranks as one of his best days ever). He occasionally asks to go see the Intrepid down in New York.

So when he saw my old Avalon Hill Naval War card game on the shelf one day, I couldn't help but pull it down and start the teaching process. He's six now and finally gets the concept of gun size and ammo cards, although we're still mostly playing with hand cards on the table, rather than hidden.

Mike

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

Last week my nine year old son watched me playing and asked some questions. Then he left and came back half an our later with a handdrawn sketch of a map with lots of arrows and explained his masterplan to win as Japan. In short, take Kodiak, the Galapagos, Cape Horn and the Falklands to establish refueling bases in order to send the entire Japanese Fleet to bomb and bombard Washington DC into devastation and submission. My offspring is not lacking ambition, have to be careful when playing him in a few years[:)]
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Cape Horn. Falklands. Washington, D.C.

Your nine-year-old son is John III???

[&:]
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Hey Now... [:-]

My near 12-year old son is playing Uncommon Valor. Once he masters the AI then he and I are going to play each other. When he is competitive there then we will move on the AE. How 'bout that??!!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”