Windows 10 problems

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

kennonlightfoot

Windows 10 problems

Post by kennonlightfoot »

I installed WiP on windows 10 clean installed system. It runs but all actions on the map run extremely slowly. Changing compatibility mode to Win 7 made no difference. Anyone seeing this? Anyone know the solution?
Kennon
Capt

RE: Windows 10 problems

Post by Capt »

I've worked on this for days. Can find no solution. The Microsoft Forum is useless. They suggest the game designer make the game Windows 10 compatible!!!

I am using my old Windows 7 notebook to play.

Good luck.
"Hit first ! Hit hard ! Keep on hitting ! ! (The 3 H's)"

Jacky Fisher
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Try checking this thread. Several people have had success

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3905995
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Capt

Post by Capt »

I looked at the other thread. Doesn't the solution only apply to WITP AE version?

Jacky Fisher
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

With Windows 8, the issue is the same. Try this suggestion:
tm.asp?m=3908083

Most of the switches for the Admiral's Edition won't work in the original War in this Pacific. But -deepColor should work.
jmolyson

Post by jmolyson »

My solution was to buy a gently used XP machine for my WITP:AE. No internet connect but I can save updates on my Windows 8.1 machine and transfer them to my game machine on a thumb drive. Also a good solution for keep and playing other aging wargames.
Joe
Capt

Post by Capt »

Windows 8 and WITP was no problem so long as I used the -w switch and played in a windowed environment. Windows 10 is different. The Windows 8 fixes are not working. Sad, I've been playing WITP for many years now.

Jacky Fisher
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Sorry, I didn't notice this was the old WitP forum. A large number of switches were added to AE that were never in the original. You could try right clicking, selecting the Properties, then set compatibility to XP.
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Capt

Post by Capt »

The problem is more difficult. I've tried all the compatibility settings.I did exchange emails with Microsoft. Microsoft has a long exercise they suggest to find the problem. Their exercise amounts to a search for which Microsoft service causes the incompatibility then asking the company producing the game to make fixes.

Jacky Fisher
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

@Capt
I finally got my Windows 10 installed. I've tested the game with the -deepColor or the -w switches, and I don't notice any lag. It's exactly like in Windows 8.
Can you please attach a DxDiag report file?
Capt

Post by Capt »

OK here it is
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(65.68 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

Jacky Fisher
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

To make things more interesting, the hardware is quite similar to mine (Asus Motherboard, i7 CPU, NVidia card, etc.)...
I had hoped that it could be related with graphic drivers, but no... you have the exact same Nvidia version.
How have you installeed Windows 10? Was an upgrade from Windows 8? Or was a fresh install?

Have you manually installed DirectX9?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=8109
Capt

Post by Capt »

Windows 10 was just the free Microsoft update from Windows 8.1. I've done nothing about Directx. It is just what Microsoft provides. The micro came with Windows 8.0 and has had two major updates first to Windows 8.1 (at which time WITP original ran fine) then to Windows 10 at which time the performance became very slow. I do note Microsoft is doing updates every few days right now without providing any details about what they are doing. There was a minor increase in speed with the last update. Game howeverremains unplayable.

I have put my old Windows 7 notebook on my desk in-order to continue the campaign against Tankerboy. Turn 338!

The link you show leads to a 2010 version of Directx. Am a little worried about installing.

Jacky Fisher
Capt

Post by Capt »

Just checked and the micro is running Directx 12.

Jacky Fisher
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

No problem with that link. It will install missing files related with older versions of DirectX that usually Windows doesn't install.
Please note that the game runs with DirectX8.

I have done a clean installation of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade over Windows 8. Although it's always recommended to do a clean install instead of an upgrade, I honestly can't relate this with your issue.

Do you think the lag you are experiencing in Windows 10 is just the same you have experienced in Windows 8 without the -deepColor or the -w switches?
Capt

Post by Capt »

Do you suggest the installing Directx 9 over Directx 12? I've never tried a Directx down grade before.

Yes. The lag I am experiencing with Windows 10 is about the same as I had with Windows 8 when I was not using the -w switch. -deepcolor made no difference to the game speed.

I suspect that there are not a lot of people still playing WITP original. I'm just involved in a campaign that had been going on for a bit more than a year.

For me a 'clean install' of Windows 10 is just too much work.

Jacky Fisher
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

ORIGINAL: Capt

Do you suggest the installing Directx 9 over Directx 12? I've never tried a Directx down grade before.
You won't be downgrading. It will install DX9 and older versions as well, basically installing all the missing libraries. Windows 7/8, and I bet Windows 10 as well, doesn't ships with the whole DX9c redistributable: they only included just the latest libraries but many games relies on older ones.
The DirectX redistributable is really important for many older games in Windows 8/10.
It's a standard procedure. No harm. It was the first thing I have done after having installed Windows 10 (this and installing Firefox and Start10 [:)]).
ORIGINAL: Capt
For me a 'clean install' of Windows 10 is just too much work.
Sure. Besides there's never a guarantee that will work... this is MS Windows after all. [:)]
Anyway, I'll ask my colleague at tech support for him also to try installing the game and test the switches on his Windows 10 PC.
Capt

Post by Capt »

You won't be downgrading. It will install DX9 and older versions as well, basically installing all the missing libraries. Windows 7/8, and I bet Windows 10 as well, doesn't ships with the whole DX9c redistributable: they only included just the latest libraries but many games relies on older ones.
The DirectX redistributable is really important for many older games in Windows 8/10.
It's a standard procedure. No harm. It was the first thing I have done after having installed Windows 10 (this and installing Firefox and Start10 ).

I just finished the DX9 installation. Yes! It did make a considerable improvement. The game is slow but could be playable. There might be something else I can do. The only switches being used are '-w and -deepcolor'

Jacky Fisher
ndworl

Post by ndworl »

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

@Capt
I finally got my Windows 10 installed. I've tested the game with the -deepColor or the -w switches, and I don't notice any lag. It's exactly like in Windows 8.
Can you please attach a DxDiag report file?

Forgive me for my ignorance here, but from VPaulus description, if I buy a new PC with Windows 10 installed, WitP should work? I have Windows 7 on my existing PC and have said no to offers of upgrades etc, but will need to replace the machine eventually.
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

On my new Windows 10 PC the game works ok in a window (using -W command line switch) but not if running full screen. Annoyingly the window can be maximised, but the content of the window remains a tiny fraction of the overall window size.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”