Frustration taking over on NI #2

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

GBS

Frustration taking over on NI #2

Post by GBS »

Obvious we cant control the Revenge. I have stared at the screen for more than an hour this morning watching the Revenge spin on a beach in Ireland. I have killed two soviet subs and investigated two others that I am sure are fish. The revenge turns and runs at the slightest report of subs. What is a Myak and what is it doing sailing around just miles off the shore of Scotland and Ireland. It seems to spook the Revenge as well. Why does it run aground? I have removed it from its mission and attempted to give it direct orders for direction and speed to no avail. I'm just trying to get through this scenario so I can retry #3. (No scoring issue on first try)I need to walk away for a while. Then I will have to restart #2 I guess. UUUGGGHHHHH!
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
AlGrant

RE: Frustration taking over on NI #2

Post by AlGrant »

I did notice similar behaviour by the Revenge.
I only noticed it after I had added a Nimrod to the mission, I couldn't see how it would have been connected (especially now somebody else has seen it).
I removed the Nimrod and it continued and then also removed the Revenge and manually plotted a course.
She kept on doing her own thing, running off as soon as I got a 'Goblin'. Eventually she ended up thrashing around off the Irish coast.
I only managed to get her clear by actually surfacing [X(] - Once back to normal I added her back to the mission and she did then proceed to her patrol zone.

Will look back tonight and see if I have a game save.

Edit:
I will just add that although the Revenge was acting odd, I was far too busy, enjoying chasing down the Subs & AGI's to worry too much about her as long as she was at least trying to head in the right direction!
GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
Schorsch

Post by Schorsch »

check thedoctrin settings. automatic evasion is turned on for the revenge, this explains the behaviour of the ss
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

ORIGINAL: Schorsch

check thedoctrin settings. automatic evasion is turned on for the revenge, this explains the behaviour of the ss

That would probably explain what I was seeing ... have to admit I totally forgot to check that!

Problem seems to be that the 'automatic evasion' kicked in causing the Revenge to head directly toward the coast, each new contact caused her to change direction again, eventually ending up thrashing around in less than 50ft of water.

Does automatic evasion kick in even when a contact is classified as unknown side ?
Don't really want my units running away from something that turns out to be a fishing boat!
GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

Yep, I also had to disable automatic evasion to get rid of this anoying behaviour by Revenge.
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
gord96

Post by gord96 »

glad i saw this thread. just about to start NI #2. Will make sure I keep an eye on that setting.
Schorsch

Post by Schorsch »

But be really careful with ur sub and especially enemy subs if u turn autoevade off...
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

Unofficial motto of SSBN skippers: "We hide with pride" [:D]
chrisol

Post by chrisol »

The other setting that sometimes causes units to move where you might not be expecting is the "ignore plotted course" one... turning this to "no" will keep units on track even if (for example) attacking.

For the Revenge, it is also assigned to the patrol mission so will try to plot a course to the patrol area... I haven't tried removing it from the mission (presumably possible)- or making the mission inactive - but did drag the final destination point around a bit to get an appropriate course.

bw
Chris
wild_Willie2

Post by wild_Willie2 »

You can reroute Revenge as much as you want, that is the nice thing about command. Revenge just needs to be inside the patrol area for a few hours before the mission time is over, what you do in between is all op to you.
In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.
renders

Post by renders »

submariners first rule: "read the manual"
AlGrant

Post by AlGrant »

Quick question on how auto evade works.

> Does it kick in even when the other contact is classified as unknown side?
> Would it work differently if the Revenge detected a Goblin / Skunk / Bogey ?

When the Revenge auto evade kicked in the closest contact was an unknown side Goblin with an expanding uncertainty zone around it.

If it works the same for subsurface /surface contacts is there a way I can prevent a submarine from running away from an unknown SKUNK (that may turn out to be a fishing boat!)
GOD'S EYE DISABLED.
Dimitris

Post by Dimitris »

ORIGINAL: AlGrant

Quick question on how auto evade works.

> Does it kick in even when the other contact is classified as unknown side?
Yes, if the side remains unknown. Boomer skippers steer clear of anything not unambiguously friendly.
> Would it work differently if the Revenge detected a Goblin / Skunk / Bogey ?
No, the evasion logic would be similar.

You can observe the evasion logic quite clearly if you run "Trapped Under Ice" in ScenEdit, make enough noise to get your (US) sub detected and switch to the Russian side to see how the subs react to your presence.
If it works the same for subsurface /surface contacts is there a way I can prevent a submarine from running away from an unknown SKUNK (that may turn out to be a fishing boat!)
Yes, you can disable the doctrine option "Auto Evade".

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”