Concerned for your Success

VR designs has been reinforced with designer Cameron Harris and the result is a revolutionary new operational war game 'Barbarossa' that plays like none other. It blends an advanced counter pushing engine with deep narrative, people management and in-depth semi-randomized decision systems.

Moderators: Vic, lancer

lparkh

Concerned for your Success

Post by lparkh »

I've been following your design for sometime and am impressed and excited by the innovative directions you are taking the series, and wargaming.
That being said, I was quite concerned to read this in The Flare Path (on Rock Paper Shotgun) today. I quote:

"Deal with the Dark side of the war. Trade ethics off against operational imperatives. Answer to a War Crimes Tribunal if you lose. Or order both sides to observe the Geneva Convention and fight a gentleman’s war."

I understand where you are coming from in wanting to touch this live rail. And I respect why you want to do it. That being said there is a very good chance you will derail your game by putting such an element into a first release. Of course controversy can cause attention (sales?) but do you really want the kind of attention this might bring?

Generate a success on the core design idea of dealing with the realities of politics of operational command, don't get a fresh idea side tracked by this kind of thing. At least in your first release.

Let me put it differently, make sure you want the kind of attention focused disproportionately on this topic, that you are likely to bring. Plus a good chance for easy caricatures of wargamers and wargaming.

Good luck on the game.
sullafelix

RE: Concerned for your Success

Post by sullafelix »

One part of the German campaign that is much discussed, is what would have happened had the Germans came in as deliverers instead of murderers to the different non-Russian ethnic peoples.

Their are many instances of the Germans being greeted with flowers etc. by Ukrainians and others.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi lparkh,

Personally I think allowing some ethical undertones into the game is historical simulation speaking a good thing. Many a German general (although definitely not all) struggled with the extreme harshness of some orders from high command.

We already anticipated that not everybody would like this feature. Hence it is fully optional and switched off by default.

Best wishes,
Vic

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

I hear you. Just hope it doesn't prove a distraction In a first release. What is reported and talked about in the press and public often diverges from what was intended or actually implemented. Best of luck.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Me too..Far more wargamers will be thrilled to see new features like this than not. If you don't like it..easy..don't buy or play it. These days the PC brigade have it all their own way, which isn't good.

Finally, controversial publicity is better than no publicity. That's even if it does become an issue, and uif it does then I expect it will generate more sales than less as more will find out about it.

ORIGINAL: Vic

Hi lparkh,

Personally I think allowing some ethical undertones into the game is historical simulation speaking a good thing. Many a German general (although definitely not all) struggled with the extreme harshness of some orders from high command.

We already anticipated that not everybody would like this feature. Hence it is fully optional and switched off by default.

Best wishes,
Vic

Gargoyl

Post by Gargoyl »

This added layer is what attracts me to the game. I am reminded by something I read on a blog concerning Hearts of Iron IV, in which the blogger said he felt a certain level of discomfort playing Hitler. A game is a game. Since I was a little kid playing with toy soldiers, I don't recall ever feeling compelled to then go out and run havoc on the real world. FPS games and RPG games have for some time added layers to games that call on the player to make an ethical choice (Skyrim, Dragon Age, Grand Theft Auto, etc.). If someone is queasy about adding political and ethical heft to a war game, I would ask them to consider the word "war" in war game and then probably refrain from the genre altogether.
Meteor2

Post by Meteor2 »

I am glad, Vic is trying something new.[:)]
"What ifs" are a good idea, which I am missing in WitE.
There the concept to make things happen in their historical timeframe, although the way of the game is different, has always concerned me.
E.g. removal of historical units out of the front, because it is "historical", despite the actual route of the game. [&:]
USSLockwood

Post by USSLockwood »

I'm not playing Hitler, I'm playing the leader of Germany. I'd be embarrassed
to make the mistakes he made.
Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control
76mm

Post by 76mm »

"Deal with the Dark side of the war. Trade ethics off against operational imperatives. Answer to a War Crimes Tribunal if you lose. Or order both sides to observe the Geneva Convention and fight a gentleman’s war."

Not sure that I understand how this is supposed to work, or that I would want to see this kind of thing in a wargame.

To some degree there should have been no trade off between ethics and strategic imperatives--the nicer the Germans were to the native populace, the less resistance they would have generated. And who wants to answer to a War Crimes Tribunal? So it seems like all German players will follow the "gentlemen's war" path, which is of course pure fantasy.

And even if one side tries to pursue a "gentelman's war", why would the other side comply? Even if Hitler had ordered that the populace be treated with kid gloves (itself wildly implausible), a few months of Soviet atrocities would make the war just as savage as ever.

In my view this "gentleman's war" option is pure fantasy and you might as well put orcs in the game.
budd

Post by budd »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Hi lparkh,

Best wishes,
Vic

Curious myself how this will work. Props for trying something new and giving us the choice and not forcing it on us,good call.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

In my view this "gentleman's war" option is pure fantasy and you might as well put orcs in the game.

+1. If I buy the game it would be the first thing I would turn off.

But TBH with poor standard of OOB offered up in DC2 I will be sitting on the fence for sometime waiting for reviews before buying this one.
Bossy573

Post by Bossy573 »

Have not been this juiced for a game in a long time. Can't wait.
Delaware

Post by Delaware »

Reading Fritz's OSTKRIEG and his argument is that you cannot separate the political/ethnic goals of Hitler with the military goals of Barbarossa. That said, I applaud you for approaching this issue in today's politcally correct climate.
governato

Post by governato »

I appreciate a fresh look at this campaign. And the ability to turn some options off if I want to..;). Also looking forward for a game that has a chance to give the player truly operational choices rather forcing him to manage everything from Fronts to companies...

Hurry up! I want it in my Xmas stocking!
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Apparently release is 24 Nov.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

The game will do fine, even in this over sensitive time we live in these days. History is history and we are playing GAMES that shadow history so the choices should be there. I think it is super of you to offer a switch to turn it on and off for some folks. Keep up the great work and stay the course.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi,

The Ethical dimension has been added to the game as it's an integral part of operational command.

There's no political, or historical, statement involved but the conflicting demands on the German player to prosecute the war successfully and at the same time do the right thing makes for some very interesting, and tough, decisions.

Cheers,
Cameron
76mm

Post by 76mm »

So how exactly will this work? Let's the German player chooses "gentleman's war". The Russians would have formed partisan units regardless of German policies. So will gentleman's war increase or decrease partisan activity? You could argue it both ways, and moreover how it payed out would depend on Soviet partisan level of effort and policies.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Hi 76mm,

Partisans still occur regardless of the setting.

There are half a dozen additional factors that influence partisan levels, such as the policies of the German occupation Governors, and any decisions that involve these are switched off with a 'gentleman's war'.

There's also a range of other decisions that are disabled that aren't partisan related.

The setting is there to allow people who might be sensitive to any references to the unpleasant side of the war to switch this part of the game off.

We aren't fussed about the Orcs.

Cheers,
Cameron
76mm

Post by 76mm »

OK thanks. I am intrigued by the various role-playing elements in this game and like to see novel approaches--almost any novel approaches--in new games. I'm a bit dubious about thus particular feature but look forward to seeing how it plays out.

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa”