Need help!

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

rhondabrwn

Need help!

Post by rhondabrwn »

As many of you know, I live "off grid" ouT in the desert with a solar array for power.

My inverter is only providing 75 to 93 volts to the house :( We've had a lot of cloudy and rainy weather over the past week and the batteries have run very low. We finally got some sun and the voltage got up to 93 volts this afternoon but is now falling again. My backup generators are all screwed up so no alternative way to charge the batteries.

Not sure if it an inverter failure or not... replacement is like $3,000 minimum. Hoping for a spontaneous recovery. Anyone have any expertise to share?

Also, do I dare run a computer under low voltage? My refrigerator and freezer are running thought I worry that I am destroying them, but no choice.

Another of life's trials :( Using my phone for internet.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(
Cheeks

RE: Need help!

Post by Cheeks »

Two questions:

Do you have an "owners manual" for the inverter-charging system.
Do you have a handheld volt-ohm meter and if so do you know how to use it.
Turn the other cheek
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

Not an expert at all. Do have belief that Solar Power has not yet reached a point of economical and reliable power in many cases.

I know of farmers who have had some luck with a private windmill providing power.

No answer on the damage that could be caused running the items on low power.

Assuming that you do not have access to power lines because of your location perhaps I can only wish you good luck and sunny days. Would be nice to find a better source of power though if you can than the "solar array".
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Zap

Post by Zap »

Hey, Rondabrowncan't help with your question but wanted to ask how much sunlight do you get a year. I know here in Las vegas there is a move by many to have solar installed on their roofs. Though we may have many more sunny days here in Vegas then you do.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Zap

Hey, Rondabrowncan't help with your question but wanted to ask how much sunlight do you get a year. I know here in Las vegas there is a move by many to have solar installed on their roofs. Though we may have many more sunny days here in Vegas then you do.
This has been an exceptional year due to El Nino. I feel like I've had 10 times the normal clouds and rain. The Spring was wet and June set a new record for rainfall. The annual monsoon season started early and hasn't stopped! The days will start out Sunny but within hours clouds roll in with rain cells everywhere. Winter is supposed to be extremely wet and snowy. Arizona high desert isn't supposed to be like this! Other years there would be months between rain storms. Should be glad for the moisture if I wasn't dependent on solar. My ranch should really green up next spring which is good for my livestock.

If I wasn't suffering from all the system problems it wouldn't matter. I would just fire up my 30 year old 10KW generator and top off the batteries, but though we got it running the inverter won't accept a charge from it. I can run the well pump from it so it's generating electricity but there some kind of problem in the inverter (also 30 years old). Hard to find people with the knowledge to fix things and being able to find replacement parts.

Not knocking solar, if only I could install a state of the art system, but I have a patchwork system of old and new components. The Inverter will be $2500 to $5,000 to replace and a suitable generator will be $4,000 to $6,000. The well pump takes a lot of power. I bought an 8,000 watt portable and it couldn't handle it. It could charget the batteries but it broke and needs a new motor :( Could repair for $400 but since it can't run the well pump I need to fix the old 10KW which can handle everything (and runs on propane). It can be tough in winter to go get gasoline in 5 gallon containers... the propane gets delivered.

I have a wind turbine but it doesn't generate much (maybe 250 watts under perfect conditions) a wind turbine that is effective costs $6,000 installed and generates 1,000 watts over a wider range of wind speeds. Solar is far more cost effective.

It's been a challenge and I just don't have the finances left to keep up with everything that is breaking down. I'm not physically up to it lately as well.

I could, quite honestly, die this winter. They have all been rough, but I'm in bad shape for what may be coming this winter :(

I'm not about to quit though!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Not an expert at all. Do have belief that Solar Power has not yet reached a point of economical and reliable power in many cases.

I know of farmers who have had some luck with a private windmill providing power.

Assuming that you do not have access to power lines because of your location perhaps I can only wish you good luck and sunny days. Would be nice to find a better source of power though if you can than the "solar array".
It works fine if you don't buy an isolated ranch with ancient equipment. My neighbor in his big new house with two huge trackers with 12 solar panels each plus a big diesel backup generator is comfy as can be... has central air conditioning!

If I was young and financially secure there is no way that I would not go with solar if I was building a home. It is nice to have an available grid tie for emergencies and to sell power back to the utilities though. Best of both worlds :)

Looking forward to the new Tesla battery... battery power storage is the admitted weak link in any wind or solar system... even for huge utilities like in Germany. When someone solves that issue... goodbye fossil fuels!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Cheeks

Two questions:

Do you have an "owners manual" for the inverter-charging system.
Do you have a handheld volt-ohm meter and if so do you know how to use it.
Yep, I have a manual but I'm not competent to open it up and start messing around. I'm good with the software and the 19 control menus (10 options each) but no control for voltage output. I already reset the factory defaults with no effect.

The nearest solar dealer wants $150 just to come out and look at it... with no promises of being able to fix it... I don't trust them... they seem only interested in selling new turnkey systems.

My old trusted dealer went out of business... they really helped me... nice family... probably why they went bust.. too nice and too fair... miss them a lot!
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Would you consider a refurbed natural gas or diesel generator?

NATURAL GAS GENERATOR
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX

Would you consider a refurbed natural gas or diesel generator?

NATURAL GAS GENERATOR
It may come to that.

Thanks for the link :(
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Orm

Post by Orm »

I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

I do hope you find a solution soon. Unfortunately, that solution might have to be getting that expensive repair guy you do not trust, getting a even more expensive repair guy from even further away, or getting a new system. [:(]

I wouldn't run any systems under low voltage any more than I have to. At least not until I have read up on the possible consequences.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

There are other energy sources, do you have water flows in your area and/or it is windy? Cant always rely on solar panels there will be dark days at some points.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

have you got any Flow Batteries or fuel cells in use?

Ground source heat pumps (GSHPs) have you thought of this as for night use, saves your stored elec use? for night only use.
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
operating

Post by operating »

Could be a matter of finances..

googled GSHP came up with this: http://www.geothermalusa.com/?gclid=Cj0 ... AuAL8P8HAQ

There is one chapter that goes into tax credits for energy systems.

rhondabrwn

Might there be an energy company in your area that would do an installation and offer financing to fit your budget, plus make it all count towards a tax credit? Up my way there are solar companies that advertise they will do a solar panels and installation for free complete with all hookups to the grid. Members of my family and neighbors have taken advantage of this promotion and rave how much they save in energy costs. Where you are off grid, is another question..
Good luck...

and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Zap

Post by Zap »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

It works fine if you don't buy an isolated ranch with ancient equipment. My neighbor in his big new house with two huge trackers with 12 solar panels each plus a big diesel backup generator is comfy as can be... has central air conditioning!

If I was young and financially secure there is no way that I would not go with solar if I was building a home. It is nice to have an available grid tie for emergencies and to sell power back to the utilities though. Best of both worlds :)

Looking forward to the new Tesla battery... battery power storage is the admitted weak link in any wind or solar system... even for huge utilities like in Germany. When someone solves that issue... goodbye fossil fuels!

Like others have said your least expensive option may be your only option. Fix your generator or if not possible get a refurbished one. I'm just glad you did not have to put out the initial money for your system that it is very costly. This is the problem with alternate energy sources the cost to purchase and upkeep is prohibitive. The best way to reap benefits from a solar system is to purchase outright(not lease). I calculated 25,000 dollars for solar system installed(is the price I have heard). Backup generator 5,000. Back up wind mill 6,000. That Is a lot of money to invest. To re-coup that you would need close to 20 years. Example I pay 1,600 a year for electricity from the electric company. In In 20 years I have paid 36,000 dollars. Then I don't have to worry about maintenance and expensive replacement parts 20 years down the road. In my book Electricity produced from a company is still the most cost effective and headache free. But I am looking forward to initial cost reduction for these systems that will make them cost effective and less of a maintenance burden.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: operating

Could be a matter of finances..

googled GSHP came up with this: http://www.geothermalusa.com/?gclid=Cj0 ... AuAL8P8HAQ

There is one chapter that goes into tax credits for energy systems.

rhondabrwn

Might there be an energy company in your area that would do an installation and offer financing to fit your budget, plus make it all count towards a tax credit? Up my way there are solar companies that advertise they will do a solar panels and installation for free complete with all hookups to the grid. Members of my family and neighbors have taken advantage of this promotion and rave how much they save in energy costs. Where you are off grid, is another question..
Good luck...

I took advantage of Arizona and Federal tax credits, but since I am now living on tax exempt pensions and Social Security I no longer pay any income tax so tax credits no longer apply to me. :(
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

I have $113 to my name at the moment so nothing I can do till next month anyway. I live month to month with no financial reserves at all.

Yea, I've been reckless and living on the edge for decades. However, I made my bed and I'll die in it. :)
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Rhonda,

I hope you're able to resolve your problem soon. You do need to get your batteries back up to full power.

Low voltages can cause overheating. So even if your refrigerator and freezer are running, if they have to work too hard you could cause some damage to the motor.

This also applies to a computer. Low voltage will cause circuits to run at higher temperature (ie, if voltage goes down, then amperage goes up to provide the same level of power ).

I'm afraid I don't have any advice on fixing or even diagnosing though.

Good luck
Rick

Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

As many of you know, I live "off grid" ouT in the desert with a solar array for power.

My inverter is only providing 75 to 93 volts to the house :( We've had a lot of cloudy and rainy weather over the past week and the batteries have run very low. We finally got some sun and the voltage got up to 93 volts this afternoon but is now falling again. My backup generators are all screwed up so no alternative way to charge the batteries.

Not sure if it an inverter failure or not... replacement is like $3,000 minimum. Hoping for a spontaneous recovery. Anyone have any expertise to share?

Also, do I dare run a computer under low voltage? My refrigerator and freezer are running thought I worry that I am destroying them, but no choice.

Another of life's trials :( Using my phone for internet.

Well, it sounds like you know the problem, (low voltage due to not having enough energy from the sun) so what is left to do ?

I suppose you could check the voltage going into your inverter and out of your panels. That might help isolate any problems.

Doing that is probably not safe for a novice or non electrician.

Get the backups running, probably the most direct way to charge the batteries back up.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
rommel222

Post by rommel222 »

Greetings to All,
If your inverters are more than 15 years old they will experience reduced ability to supply voltage as well as charging batteries. The extended cloudy rainy weather are seriously affecting the inverters efficiency. Are you using three phase or singe phase voltage? In addition, running any electrical appliance at lower voltage is dangerous due to overheating of motor components (usually capacitors) and potential fire hazard.
I would go with the repairman or see if there is a nearby college/university with a physics department that might look at for you.
rhondabrwn

Post by rhondabrwn »

ORIGINAL: Rick

Rhonda,

I hope you're able to resolve your problem soon. You do need to get your batteries back up to full power.

Low voltages can cause overheating. So even if your refrigerator and freezer are running, if they have to work too hard you could cause some damage to the motor.

This also applies to a computer. Low voltage will cause circuits to run at higher temperature (ie, if voltage goes down, then amperage goes up to provide the same level of power ).

I'm afraid I don't have any advice on fixing or even diagnosing though.

Good luck
Rick

I did discover that modern refrigerators do have a sensor to shut down if the compressor overheats due to low voltage. That us comforting to know and consistent with what is happening when the voltage drops back down below 80 volts.

Also learned that I should be able to run the computer at 90 volts. Power supply standard is to handle from 90 to 130 volts safely. Haven't tried it yet... not sure the monitor can handle it.

My best bet is to get the generator working.
Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

Return to “General Discussion”